USMB Coffee Shop IV

Well......., enjoying a nice chilly day, currently 15 degrees with a light dusting of snow from earlier. Supposed to get colder with more snow this evening.

breakfast...

Kinda of funny actually, I put a Sunnyside egg on a whole ton of my groceries...

1643838062626.png

1643838255414.png

My computer is telling me it's 9 degrees here now and the current band of snow has slowed down.
We're supposed to have deep freeze week starting tonight or tomorrow. There went my plan to plant the 3 rose bushes I'm trying to keep alive in the entrance. Our area usually ends the freeze by the 7th of March, but 14 is safe for planting things that die in cold weather.

We're supposed to have deep freeze week starting tonight or tomorrow. There went my plan to plant the 3 rose bushes I'm trying to keep alive in the entrance. Our area usually ends the freeze by the 7th of March, but 14 is safe for planting things that die in cold weather.
It's also telling me tonight is supposed to get down to -8. Of course this is from a national/international weather service so it not always jives with our local forcasts. Just looked at the local forecast and they're saying -3 due to the wind chill. Supposed to be back up to our average 50 degrees by Tuesday.

Last edited:
Today is Kansas Day and that probably means more to Hombre and me than it does other Coffee Shoppers because we spent so many years in Kansas--our kids grew up in Kansas. The Kansas state flower is the Sunflower and it not only prolifically grows wild there, it is an important cash crop.

There is a story that Iowa once declared the Kansas sunflower a noxious weed and in retaliation the Kansas legislature retaliated by declaring the Iowa goldfinch a noxious pest. The story went that the two groups agreed to meet in Hawaii to work things out. :)

If you ever wondered what a square mile of sunflowers would look like, here is one near where we lived.

1643850153686.png

A list of the 14 proven health benefits of sunflower seeds
1 – Regulates blood pressure
2 – Lower blood sugar levels
3 – May prevent heart disease
4 – Helps with inflammation
5 – Improves bone health
6 – Improves cholesterol
7 – Supports your nervous system
8 – Reduces the risk of a stroke
9 – Source of antioxidants
10 – Helps with muscle contractions
11 – Can improve skin health
12 – Reduces the risk of cancer
13 – Aids gastrointestinal health
14 – Reduces anxiety and depression

One of the websites redflagged cadmium in sunflowers can cause kidney problems if you overeat eat more than one serving which is 1 oz a day, and you should never eat a whole bag of them.

I eat a lot of nuts after getting a F on my ekg, and converted using nuts and seeds in place of about half of the meats in my diet. I know that if you want things to run right in your gi tract, it's smart to drink a 12-oz glass of water before or after eating seeds or nuts. A lot of proteins--meat, etc., are well used with fruits, vegetables and a cup of water or tea if you hate water. It's a good time to eat an apple when you're eating nuts for lowering blood pressure and other heart counts.

Sunflower nutritional traits (RDI means Recommended Dietary Intake)​

(Older sources might mention RDA also known as Recommended Daily Allowance.)

Total Carbohydrate -20g 7% RDI
Dietary Fiber -8.6g 34% RDI
Sugars -2.6g
Total Fat -51.5g 79% RDI
Omega-3 fatty acids -74mg
Protein -21g 42% RDI
Vitamin E -33mg 166% RDI
Thiamin – 1.5mg 99% RDI
Riboflavin – 0.4mg 21% RDI
Niacin – 8.3mg 42% RDI
Vitamin B6 – 1.3mg 67% RDI
Folate – 227mcg 57% RDI
Pantothenic Acid -1.1mg 11% RDI
Calcium – 78mg 8% RDI
Iron – 5.2mg 29% RDI
Magnesium – 325mg 81% RDI
Phosphorus – 660mg 66% RDI
Potassium – 645mg 18% RDI
Zinc – 5mg 33% RDI
Copper – 1.8mg 90% RDI
Manganese – 1.9mg 97% RDI
Selenium – 53mcg 76% RDI​

Good nutrition is good for humans, but we're all different. Some people don't care for the food that would benefit them most or they could be the one person in ten thousand that's allergic to that one particular superfood. Just keep trying and find foods you like and benefit your particular health anathema when growing older. :huddle:

Forum List

Back