USMB Coffee Shop IV

Today is Kansas Day and that probably means more to Hombre and me than it does other Coffee Shoppers because we spent so many years in Kansas--our kids grew up in Kansas. The Kansas state flower is the Sunflower and it not only prolifically grows wild there, it is an important cash crop.

There is a story that Iowa once declared the Kansas sunflower a noxious weed and in retaliation the Kansas legislature retaliated by declaring the Iowa goldfinch a noxious pest. The story went that the two groups agreed to meet in Hawaii to work things out. :)

If you ever wondered what a square mile of sunflowers would look like, here is one near where we lived.
1643503757784.png

Update:

MrG had one tube removed last night. This morning, they put it back in. I can't imagine the pain he suffered with them doing that. Still no answers, but at 8pm, one of the doctors treating him at the ICU called me for a one on one. He said he now has two tubes....and a catheter. Said he is in pain when awake but they keep him drugged up to keep him comfortable. Said air is all over him from the collapsed lung...arms, neck, face...and it takes days for it to be dispersed, so don't expect him home any time soon. Said they were working on getting him in to a nursing home after they get him stabilized, and will determine if it will be a permanent place for him, or temporary. Said it all depends on how MrGs body handles what they are doing to save his life because the disease he has is a progressive one and he has other health issues as well (heart, gall bladder) and his organs are battling along with his lungs and heart. In short...they are thinking positive but thats mostly what it is...thinking.

So now that I got answers, I am grumpier than usual, sad, angry, very full of despair and its showing since I don't eat but one small meal a day and have no patience, sleep as much as possible (can't think when one is asleep) and in general...totally overwhelmed. But I don't give a shit about my woes..I give a shit what MrG is going thru.

Sigh.

If I hear anything else, I will let yall know.

Update:

MrG had one tube removed last night. This morning, they put it back in. I can't imagine the pain he suffered with them doing that. Still no answers, but at 8pm, one of the doctors treating him at the ICU called me for a one on one. He said he now has two tubes....and a catheter. Said he is in pain when awake but they keep him drugged up to keep him comfortable. Said air is all over him from the collapsed lung...arms, neck, face...and it takes days for it to be dispersed, so don't expect him home any time soon. Said they were working on getting him in to a nursing home after they get him stabilized, and will determine if it will be a permanent place for him, or temporary. Said it all depends on how MrGs body handles what they are doing to save his life because the disease he has is a progressive one and he has other health issues as well (heart, gall bladder) and his organs are battling along with his lungs and heart. In short...they are thinking positive but thats mostly what it is...thinking.

So now that I got answers, I am grumpier than usual, sad, angry, very full of despair and its showing since I don't eat but one small meal a day and have no patience, sleep as much as possible (can't think when one is asleep) and in general...totally overwhelmed. But I don't give a shit about my woes..I give a shit what MrG is going thru.

Sigh.

Usually when they are dealing with collapsed lung, tubes, and all that, they keep the patient unconscious so that they are not in discomfort. I can so understand how you are feeling, how he and you don't deserve this, there is the whys, anger, fear, depression, grief. But try hard to take care of yourself too Gracie. Mr G. is being taken care of and he will need a strong you at such time as you become caregiver again. Prayers still up.

Good night, afternoon, morning wherever you are darlinks. I really do love you guys. May the Coffee Shop always be a virtual family for those who need or enjoy one here. Meanwhile we pray or send positive vibes or keep vigil for:

Harper, the inspiration for the vigil list.
Kat for wellness
JustAnotherNut for wellness
Nosmo King for healing and health & wholeness.
Beautress for continued recovery & wholeness.
Dragonlady for the best possible outcome for her knee.
Ringel - for continued healing and wellness.
Beautress's friend for comfort/healing.
Hombre's niece still in the hospital in critical condition with COVID.
Mindful's daughter for continued wellness.
Dragonlady's son and family and her sister for relief/wellness.
Big Black Dog for the very best treatment and outcome for the rest of his days.
Hombre for successful preparation for his surgery next month.
Gracie and Mr. G for relief, healing, peace, solutions.

And we keep the light on so others who have been away can find their way back and we hope they will.

1643614792416.png

Update:

Sigh.

Prayers up for you, Gracie. It sounds like Mr. G. is doing poorly and your heart must feel like it is breaking on account of his pain and uncertain future. :hands:

This is not my pity party. But I want to give a heads up cuz y'all don't deserve what I may dish out. Not here in the CS, but other places on the board.

I'm moody. Any little thing stabs me in the heart. I get my feelers hurt easily, and when that happens, I get angry. I have not had a good cry. I have not broken down. I can't right now. So I stay numb...and moody...and angry at times...and mean and ornery...but I have not cried. That will come soon, I think. And when it does.....maybe I can release this pain and sorrow. And anger as well. And then again, maybe not. I have no family to help. None to listen. Not to hug me when I am lost. All I have is you guys, on a message board, on the internet. I rely on yall to just give support and forgive me my trespasses when they happen. Or not. Just understanding will suffice for now.

I'd rather be impatient and angry and snarky than break down. Not yet anyway. Just in case. If he survives this, I HAVE to stay strong. Once the tears start....then I am truly lost.

This is not my pity party. But I want to give a heads up cuz y'all don't deserve what I may dish out. Not here in the CS, but other places on the board.

I'm moody. Any little thing stabs me in the heart. I get my feelers hurt easily, and when that happens, I get angry. I have not had a good cry. I have not broken down. I can't right now. So I stay numb...and moody...and angry at times...and mean and ornery...but I have not cried. That will come soon, I think. And when it does.....maybe I can release this pain and sorrow. And anger as well. And then again, maybe not. I have no family to help. None to listen. Not to hug me when I am lost. All I have is you guys, on a message board, on the internet. I rely on yall to just give support and forgive me my trespasses when they happen. Or not. Just understanding will suffice for now.

I'd rather be impatient and angry and snarky than break down. Not yet anyway. Just in case. If he survives this, I HAVE to stay strong. Once the tears start....then I am truly lost.
Don't be afraid to cry Gracie. I can be a real release of some of the worst stuff leaving most of the good stuff. Sooner or later we all need to cry.
1643700768741.png

Group hug, Gracie. :huddle: May God himself comfort you in this trying time.

I believe this fellar is one of Foxfyre's cohorts she plays '42' with...

LOL, no, our 42 friends live in Corrales, not Santa Fe. She was a regional supervisor for Southwestern Bell and whatever they merged with before she retired and he was an engineer or some big deal with Sandia and Los Alamos labs before he retired. Not likely to commit any crime, much less breaking and entering. If they did they would be the type to leave a large payment in compensation. But what a neat story.

Last edited:

Prayers for you and Mr G. There is a support group on facebook called Well Spouse Association - Spousal Caregivers. I've found it's been a real help for me with my husband. Mike has Parkinsons and now his kidneys are failing. He'll probably be on dialysis soon.

Prayers for you and Mr G. There is a support group on facebook called Well Spouse Association - Spousal Caregivers. I've found it's been a real help for me with my husband. Mike has Parkinsons and now his kidneys are failing. He'll probably be on dialysis soon.
OMG Shiela!!! I have thought of you so often and wondered how you and yours were doingl So happy to hear from you but sorry to hear about your hubby though. Is a transplant feasible for him? As I recall you have had a full plate of caregiving issues for a very long time now.

Last edited:

Cry, get angry, snarky, sad, etc. I completely understand. I'm sure most everyone here understands also.

Forum List

Back