USMB Coffee Shop IV

Greetings, CS friends!
Checking in to see how y'all are doing.
Don't remember whether I told you that the former partner was finally served and removed from my property. He'll most likely fight to the bitter end but it will all be for the best. I've been dragging junk and detritus to the dump almost every week this summer and now I've got a chance of keeping the place clean.
Here's wishing you all the best.

How the rehab going GW? You're not overdoing it are you?
Morning, Foxy!
Rehab is going well, I have to call to schedule my physical therapy and my 2-wk post-op is Thursday. I walked about .2 miles yesterday and am up daily doing some light things that don't require bending. Brother won't let me overdo but I do need to get up to speed before he leaves. Right now he's planning on leaving on the 10th/Oct and I have to be able to feed my animals, at the very least.
How are things going in NM?

We're still way too much in lockdown here in New Mexico but otherwise all is good.
The only place still locked down here is Anchorage.

Technically the whole state is supposed to be, but outside the metro area here--we only have one of those in New Mexico--folks are rebelling against mask requirement, lockdown, etc. a lot more than Albuquerqueans do. And, without taking political sides in the Coffee Shop, you can't go to church or have a large party, but you don't have to do social distancing or masks if you're in an organized protest. :)

Greetings, CS friends!
Checking in to see how y'all are doing.
Don't remember whether I told you that the former partner was finally served and removed from my property. He'll most likely fight to the bitter end but it will all be for the best. I've been dragging junk and detritus to the dump almost every week this summer and now I've got a chance of keeping the place clean.
Here's wishing you all the best.

How the rehab going GW? You're not overdoing it are you?
Morning, Foxy!
Rehab is going well, I have to call to schedule my physical therapy and my 2-wk post-op is Thursday. I walked about .2 miles yesterday and am up daily doing some light things that don't require bending. Brother won't let me overdo but I do need to get up to speed before he leaves. Right now he's planning on leaving on the 10th/Oct and I have to be able to feed my animals, at the very least.
How are things going in NM?

We're still way too much in lockdown here in New Mexico but otherwise all is good.
The only place still locked down here is Anchorage.

Technically the whole state is supposed to be, but outside the metro area here--we only have one of those in New Mexico--folks are rebelling against mask requirement, lockdown, etc. a lot more than Albuquerqueans do. And, without taking political sides in the Coffee Shop, you can't go to church or have a large party, but you don't have to do social distancing or masks if you're in an organized protest. :)
Makes me happy to be in Alaska and that recovery has been left up to local determination.

I'm getting excited, my two-week post-op appt is Thursday, my first PT appointment is Friday. The swelling is gone, the wound is itchy (healing), and the general stiffness in the joint is greatly decreased. I'm still very cautious about how I move because I understand it is very easy to dislocate the new joint, at least until the musculature has been rebuilt and strengthened.

My brother decided to postpone his dive trip to the Bahamas and donate a few more weeks to my recuperation. He's sure he can get to the Bahamas but not so sure how difficult it will be getting back into the US. I'm grateful for the extra time. It's uncomfortable enough just riding in a car let alone driving one right now. My brother is also considering selling his place in NV and moving up here, building his own place. I'm being cautiously encouraging but trying not to be pushy. It would be so cool to have someone to hang with.

Back to the "debate"...

Today was National Coffee Day. I had a cup that I finished maybe 15 minutes ago. I don't usually drink coffee anymore (it tends to upset my digestive system) but today seemed like a good day to make an exception.

Things are going pretty well with me. It's getting close to my birthday. My lady bought me a wedge pillow a couple of weeks ago after I had a few days of neck/back pain. I told her that was good for an early present and she didn't need to get me anything else, but she did. Hopefully it's not too expensive. I may be getting a new gaming monitor. My mother wanted me to tell her something she could get me, and I said that the only things I could think of were too expensive. She insisted I tell her what the expensive things are, and I said a monitor and video card, each of which will probably cost at least $300 (a new video card might cost quite a bit more, considering both Nvidia and AMD are putting the new generation of cards out now and in the near future). I did come up with a cheaper idea: some new scrub pants. The ones I bought for my job are short. The regular length ones seemed too long, hanging down past my feet when I tried them on in the store, but I've come to the conclusion that when I'm wearing my boots, long pants aren't too much of an issue, while short pants kind of suck. :lol: Anyway, I don't know what she'll do, but I think I might end up finding myself with a new monitor, so that will mean I finally have to bite the bullet and buy myself a new video card to go with it.

My job is going pretty well. I don't make great money, but considering I spent 10 years as a nanny with no reportable income and only had about a year of experience after that at regular jobs before I got this one, that's fine. My girlfriend makes a lot more than I do, so we're fine money-wise, although I wish we had a bit more to save. We'll have been together for a year in December, although we started this as a long-distance thing and have only been living together for about 3.5 months. We get along well, with only very minor arguments; we haven't had any serious fights. I'm lucky to be here.

Gracie , you just can't seem to find the right situation. :( I hope you can get more comfortable in the new place, or better yet get a call for somewhere that fits you and MrG better.

Ringel05 , I'm glad you're finding ways to enjoy yourself. I couldn't tell a Kentucky Longrifle from a Ferguson rifle from a Dreyse needle gun (yes, I had to look those up :lol: ) but I'm happy for you having something fun to do.

gallantwarrior , hopefully the partner (or should I say ex-partner) doesn't do anything stupid and dangerous. I think it's probably good that you got the restraining order. Even with just your descriptions on here, it's clear the situation between you two is bad enough that you are both better off staying away from each other. He might not be able to see that, but that doesn't make it untrue. Fingers crossed he finally accepts that you are no longer willing to put up with his crap.

beautress , I'm not a great person to give relationship advice, but please be very careful. Don't let yourself be abused. Your quilting is so important to you, I worry that even without the other issues you mentioned, your fiance disliking your quilting could be a possibly insurmountable point of contention. If you want to work things out and believe you can, great! Just remember you have to be happy.

I know there's a bunch of other people's stuff I didn't comment on. It's late and I wanted to get just a bit of a post done. Foxy, you can safely take me off the vigil list. I've been back in Florida and with my lady long enough now that I'm pretty well settled in. ;)

I read the thread, but I don't respond all that much. I do think of you all, though, and hope everyone can find things that bring them joy, or at least contentment.

EjJUT9bWsAAdsh9.jpg

Today was National Coffee Day. I had a cup that I finished maybe 15 minutes ago. I don't usually drink coffee anymore (it tends to upset my digestive system) but today seemed like a good day to make an exception.

Things are going pretty well with me. It's getting close to my birthday. My lady bought me a wedge pillow a couple of weeks ago after I had a few days of neck/back pain. I told her that was good for an early present and she didn't need to get me anything else, but she did. Hopefully it's not too expensive. I may be getting a new gaming monitor. My mother wanted me to tell her something she could get me, and I said that the only things I could think of were too expensive. She insisted I tell her what the expensive things are, and I said a monitor and video card, each of which will probably cost at least $300 (a new video card might cost quite a bit more, considering both Nvidia and AMD are putting the new generation of cards out now and in the near future). I did come up with a cheaper idea: some new scrub pants. The ones I bought for my job are short. The regular length ones seemed too long, hanging down past my feet when I tried them on in the store, but I've come to the conclusion that when I'm wearing my boots, long pants aren't too much of an issue, while short pants kind of suck. :lol: Anyway, I don't know what she'll do, but I think I might end up finding myself with a new monitor, so that will mean I finally have to bite the bullet and buy myself a new video card to go with it.

My job is going pretty well. I don't make great money, but considering I spent 10 years as a nanny with no reportable income and only had about a year of experience after that at regular jobs before I got this one, that's fine. My girlfriend makes a lot more than I do, so we're fine money-wise, although I wish we had a bit more to save. We'll have been together for a year in December, although we started this as a long-distance thing and have only been living together for about 3.5 months. We get along well, with only very minor arguments; we haven't had any serious fights. I'm lucky to be here.

Gracie , you just can't seem to find the right situation. :( I hope you can get more comfortable in the new place, or better yet get a call for somewhere that fits you and MrG better.

Ringel05 , I'm glad you're finding ways to enjoy yourself. I couldn't tell a Kentucky Longrifle from a Ferguson rifle from a Dreyse needle gun (yes, I had to look those up :lol: ) but I'm happy for you having something fun to do.

gallantwarrior , hopefully the partner (or should I say ex-partner) doesn't do anything stupid and dangerous. I think it's probably good that you got the restraining order. Even with just your descriptions on here, it's clear the situation between you two is bad enough that you are both better off staying away from each other. He might not be able to see that, but that doesn't make it untrue. Fingers crossed he finally accepts that you are no longer willing to put up with his crap.

beautress , I'm not a great person to give relationship advice, but please be very careful. Don't let yourself be abused. Your quilting is so important to you, I worry that even without the other issues you mentioned, your fiance disliking your quilting could be a possibly insurmountable point of contention. If you want to work things out and believe you can, great! Just remember you have to be happy.

I know there's a bunch of other people's stuff I didn't comment on. It's late and I wanted to get just a bit of a post done. Foxy, you can safely take me off the vigil list. I've been back in Florida and with my lady long enough now that I'm pretty well settled in. ;)

I read the thread, but I don't respond all that much. I do think of you all, though, and hope everyone can find things that bring them joy, or at least contentment.
Good to see you here, Montro. A GF?! My goodness, I have missed a lot. I'm very happy to know that you are moving along with your life and enjoy your job. It's also nice that you can maintain a relationship with the little one, too. Happy Birthday, too. You keep up the good work and stay happy, Little Brother.

So happy things are going well for you Montro, and hope you're liking Florida as home now. Life interferes with the Coffee Shop for a lot of us these days, but it's always good to check in now and then.

Makes me wonder, usually, white, two-colored-eyed cats are deaf. I wonder whether the black cats like that are deaf, too?

My understanding is that blue-eyed cats, especially blue-eyed Persians, are much more likely to be born deaf or develop deafness than other cats. However, cats without matched color in their eyes don't have any more likelihood of developing deafness than any other. The cats Dajjal posted though are indeed perfect opposites. Fascinating to see.

Greetings!
Still getting up late at night. Over 20 years on graveyard shift have had their affect, I guess.
Two week post-op yesterday afternoon. Everyone seemed pleased with my progress and most of the discomfort is normal healing of related wear and tear. I am optimistic that things will be better than they have been in many years. I told the doctor that I had lost 10 lbs and my blood pressure has assumed more normal numbers again. He told me that the pain probably drove up my cortisol levels, which would account for both improvements. So I researched cortisols in the body. Seems that cortisols in too great amounts are a side affect of stress and can cause accumulation of fat as well as increased blood pressure.
Well, I have eliminated at least two major stressors in my life, the pain in my hip and my miserable former-partner. Without having him lurking about and always waiting for the abuse and attacks to begin, I am de-stressed on that front, too. I also have a quite positive outlook that once I can clean up the mess around here, it will stay cleaned up and I won't have to constantly be following the pard around, picking up his messes and putting my tools away after he uses them and dumps whereevery. Plus, my brother is such a fun, sensible person to share space and time with!
Life is looking up for me and I can only hope that things will get better for so many of my CS friends who are suffering.

Greetings!
Still getting up late at night. Over 20 years on graveyard shift have had their affect, I guess.
Two week post-op yesterday afternoon. Everyone seemed pleased with my progress and most of the discomfort is normal healing of related wear and tear. I am optimistic that things will be better than they have been in many years. I told the doctor that I had lost 10 lbs and my blood pressure has assumed more normal numbers again. He told me that the pain probably drove up my cortisol levels, which would account for both improvements. So I researched cortisols in the body. Seems that cortisols in too great amounts are a side affect of stress and can cause accumulation of fat as well as increased blood pressure.
Well, I have eliminated at least two major stressors in my life, the pain in my hip and my miserable former-partner. Without having him lurking about and always waiting for the abuse and attacks to begin, I am de-stressed on that front, too. I also have a quite positive outlook that once I can clean up the mess around here, it will stay cleaned up and I won't have to constantly be following the pard around, picking up his messes and putting my tools away after he uses them and dumps whereevery. Plus, my brother is such a fun, sensible person to share space and time with!
Life is looking up for me and I can only hope that things will get better for so many of my CS friends who are suffering.

This is the first thing I read this morning--stayed up too late last night and overslept--and it made me happy. And was reassuring that there can be happy endings. And yes, those happy or at least happier endings for so many of our Coffee Shoppers is what we all hope for. We'll keep you on the vigil list until you're allowed to bend again GW, but I'm so happy for you. :)

Greetings!
Something to consider as you move forward, which will probably help prevent you from backsliding into old mindsets...You physiology will dictate your psychology...

Greetings!
Something to consider as you move forward, which will probably help prevent you from backsliding into old mindsets...You physiology will dictate your psychology...

Interesting presentation. One of my more obscure hobbies is study of body language, facial expressions etc. both as an investigator, i.e. is this person lying and/or hiding something, and in evaluating the person's comfort level, confidence, lack of confidence etc. I certainly don't claim to be an expert but have picked up a few things along the way.

One of the main problems of social media--Facebook, Twitter, and message boards--is that we are limited to the written word of what somebody is saying and are not benefitted by observing body language, facial expression, tonal inflection, etc. And, as we all know, when you are limited to the written word only, it is quite easy to misunderstand a person's actual intent with those words. Here in the Coffee Shop such misunderstandings have caused more than one person to misinterpret another which has resulted in some hurt feelings, anger/resentment, and a few have even left the CS forever. But for the most part we manage to get around that and our little community here has been great for most of us.

It is one reason though, that those who say read the text of a speech and don't watch/hear the speech, can draw a completely different conclusion about what the person was actually saying than those who were there and watched it in person or at least electronically.

Greetings!

That is true. Escaping the mind-numbing pain I've been suffering these past few years will definitely improve my outlook on life. I'm looking forward to doing a lot of things that were either difficult or impossible for me with the bad hip.
I hope your days move forward smoothly, too!

Busy day today, had a small yard sale and was able to get a bunch of things sold, not as much as I hoped but still. Had help from the neighbors across the street which was great, nice young couple. I'm honestly exhausted, mostly because it got rather warm today. May do another one next Saturday.

Forum List

Back