USMB Coffee Shop IV

Ein_-P4XkAUBixy.jpg

In case you thought the lion was going to eat the monkey, here is the next picture.

Hi all. Other than working around the house and working on my hobby items I've spent most of my online time on the traditional muzzleloading forum learning and having a little fun. Like with all human endeavors there are multiple schools of thought in this instance with the hard core authentics vs the more relaxed crowd. The hard cores idea is rigid, "if it can't be documented it didn't exist" vs the more relaxed "just because we only have a very few examples doesn't mean it didn't exist in other forms." This "discussion" is mostly related to flintlocks of the time particularly the (modern company) mass produced factory flintlocks vs the custom, hand built, very expensive ones.
I started a bit of a brush fire with a question concerning the historical accuracy of the modern built (Pendersoli) Kentucky Longrifle, a question I already knew the answer to......... Yeah, I'm a stinker....... :lol:
Going to battle with an unarmed opponent (one lacking your knowledge and expertise) isn't really fair, is it?
I'm not opining in the thread, letting everyone else fight it out..........
Oh and I just finished my Kentucky Flintlock Pistol kit.
View attachment 392094
I see you have no flint. I expect you can buy napped flints in America. I purchased a packet from an English company years ago. I found it too hard to make them myself/

Hi all. Other than working around the house and working on my hobby items I've spent most of my online time on the traditional muzzleloading forum learning and having a little fun. Like with all human endeavors there are multiple schools of thought in this instance with the hard core authentics vs the more relaxed crowd. The hard cores idea is rigid, "if it can't be documented it didn't exist" vs the more relaxed "just because we only have a very few examples doesn't mean it didn't exist in other forms." This "discussion" is mostly related to flintlocks of the time particularly the (modern company) mass produced factory flintlocks vs the custom, hand built, very expensive ones.
I started a bit of a brush fire with a question concerning the historical accuracy of the modern built (Pendersoli) Kentucky Longrifle, a question I already knew the answer to......... Yeah, I'm a stinker....... :lol:
Going to battle with an unarmed opponent (one lacking your knowledge and expertise) isn't really fair, is it?
View attachment 392094
.45 caliber. Nice job.

THIS PRODUCT CANNOT BE SHIPPED TO NEW JERSEY OR CANADA.
Dyslexia? It's a .54 caliber
View attachment 392094
I see you have no flint. I expect you can buy napped flints in America. I purchased a packet from an English company years ago. I found it too hard to make them myself/
Yeah, I am looking to purchase English flints for the pistol from Track of the Wolf but they're out of stock. I can get German flints for it from Dixie Gun Works, they're fine but not as good as the English ones.

View attachment 392094
.45 caliber. Nice job.

View attachment 392094
Yeah, I am looking to purchase English flints for the pistol from Track of the Wolf but they're out of stock. I can get German flints for it from Dixie Gun Works, they're fine but not as good as the English ones.

Beautifu! It's a working model? Hombre once put a kit together of a flint lock musket. Life size but it wasn't a working model--just for show. Don't know whatever happened to it. We might have sold it in a garage sale.

View attachment 392094
.45 caliber. Nice job.

View attachment 392094

Beautifu! It's a working model? Hombre once put a kit together of a flint lock musket. Life size but it wasn't a working model--just for show. Don't know whatever happened to it. We might have sold it in a garage sale.
It's fully functional if not 100% historically correct. The so called Kentucky Longrifles were actually Pennsylvania made longrifles and there are three or four major flintlock schools (styles) out of Pennsylvania and the modern reproduction "Kentucky" kinda, sorta, maybe fits the Reading style. There were many other styles out of Virginia, South Carolina, etc then you have the early, more Jager (German) style and the later distinctly American styles which were longer and often of smaller caliber. It was the Germans who first brought their Jager style flintlocks to America and adapted them to fit colonial American needs.

View attachment 392094
That's a beauty, Ringel! Did you finish the wood from scratch, too?

View attachment 392094
No, it came rough cut but mostly to shape. I did have to shave, file and sand quite a bit especially in the handle but it did not come as a blank. If it had I would have cut it a little differently and put a brass heel on the bottom of the handle to make it more authentic.

IMG_0164.jpg

well, had to make another big pile to donate to goodwill. This place is much much smaller than where we were. and..much as I hate to disappoint everyone.....I gotta say it. I hate it here. This will be our first night, and I hate it already. I'm dizzy with vertigo due to the elevator. If I want a cig...its down 6 floors, then back up 6 floors. When I get back into the apt, it feels like its moving. I also got the low down from at least 8 tenants. I like every one of them...but I hate the location. I moved from riff raff walking down the alley but its notihng compared to what happens here from what they tell me. None dare walk off the property and the high walls because riffraff is here too..but they roam in packs and they think nothing of attacking you to get your purse, your dog, your coat if its winter, etc. And the noise? Its quiet inside the building, but going out to my balconey, it sounds like a race way. I loathe it here, and if the beach calls...I'm going. I will sell everything I have and start all over again with yard sale stuff but I refuse to die here. And be dizzy at the same time. And I can't take the stairs coming up. Going down is no problem. Coming up is.
I get Evie tomorrow. Shes going to hate it too. I know she will. Im afraid to let her on the balconey. It looked like wrought iron but its plastic covering cheap assed bars. Its a cage here. I shouldve stayed where I was, but I couldnt let Anne continue to help us with rent. I just couldnt. So first chance of getting the fuck out of here, I'm doing it. And what if the vertigo does't go away? I still have to visit dentists and doctors and get groceries even if I didn't smoke.

Did I say how much I hate this place? I didnt realize just how SMALL it is. Hell, the kitchen here is smaller than my bathroom over at the other place!!! TINY.
Once I get stuff put away or donated, Ill take a pic so you can see. Its cute...the folks here are so very cool...but the location SUCKS and they all said they wished they could leave too.

View attachment 392094
No, it came rough cut but mostly to shape. I did have to shave, file and sand quite a bit especially in the handle but it did not come as a blank. If it had I would have cut it a little differently and put a brass heel on the bottom of the handle to make it more authentic.

View attachment 392264
Still a beautiful piece of crafting! What's next on the project table?

well, had to make another big pile to donate to goodwill. This place is much much smaller than where we were. and..much as I hate to disappoint everyone.....I gotta say it. I hate it here. This will be our first night, and I hate it already. I'm dizzy with vertigo due to the elevator. If I want a cig...its down 6 floors, then back up 6 floors. When I get back into the apt, it feels like its moving. I also got the low down from at least 8 tenants. I like every one of them...but I hate the location. I moved from riff raff walking down the alley but its notihng compared to what happens here from what they tell me. None dare walk off the property and the high walls because riffraff is here too..but they roam in packs and they think nothing of attacking you to get your purse, your dog, your coat if its winter, etc. And the noise? Its quiet inside the building, but going out to my balconey, it sounds like a race way. I loathe it here, and if the beach calls...I'm going. I will sell everything I have and start all over again with yard sale stuff but I refuse to die here. And be dizzy at the same time. And I can't take the stairs coming up. Going down is no problem. Coming up is.
I get Evie tomorrow. Shes going to hate it too. I know she will. Im afraid to let her on the balconey. It looked like wrought iron but its plastic covering cheap assed bars. Its a cage here. I shouldve stayed where I was, but I couldnt let Anne continue to help us with rent. I just couldnt. So first chance of getting the fuck out of here, I'm doing it. And what if the vertigo does't go away? I still have to visit dentists and doctors and get groceries even if I didn't smoke.

Did I say how much I hate this place? I didnt realize just how SMALL it is. Hell, the kitchen here is smaller than my bathroom over at the other place!!! TINY.
Once I get stuff put away or donated, Ill take a pic so you can see. Its cute...the folks here are so very cool...but the location SUCKS and they all said they wished they could leave too.
I'm so sorry, Gracie. You do deserve much better.

View attachment 392094

View attachment 392264
Pendersoli (same manufacturer as the pistol) Kentucky Long rifle. It kinda, sorta, maybe looks like a Reading County Flintlock but I have lots of work to do on it to make it look almost like the Reading.
Here's the reading;

iu

Here's the Pendersoli Kentucky:

Kentucky Longrifle.jpg

The one thing I can't do anything about is the length, the Kentucky is much shorter.

Actually got these kits at a steal which is the only real reason I bought them.

View attachment 392094

View attachment 392264
Pendersoli (same manufacturer as the pistol) Kentucky Long rifle. It kinda, sorta, maybe looks like a Reading County Flintlock but I have lots of work to do on it to make it look almost like the Reading.
Here's the reading;

iu

View attachment 392468
The one thing I can't do anything about is the length, the Kentucky is much shorter.

I shot a short barrelled Kentucky rifle in black powder 35 years ago, I didn’t load it myself, nice kick, controllable weight, I can’t remember if I hit the target at 80 yards?

View attachment 392094

View attachment 392264
Here's the reading;

iu

View attachment 392468

I shot a short barrelled Kentucky rifle in black powder 35 years ago, I didn’t load it myself, nice kick, controllable weight, I can’t remember if I hit the target at 80 yards?
What's gonna kick is the Investarms .54 caliver Hawken rifle my brother gave to me. We both thought it was an unfinished kit my dad had but when I opened the box we saw he had finished it, mostly. I had to make a couple of minor adjustments to the barrel inlet to get the barrel to fit correctly.

iu

Everyone who owns one says they kick like a mule.

View attachment 392094

View attachment 392264
Here's the reading;

iu

View attachment 392468

What's gonna kick is the Investarms .54 caliver Hawken rifle my brother gave to me. We both thought it was an unfinished kit my dad had but when I opened the box we saw he had finished it, mostly. I had to make a couple of minor adjustments to the barrel inlet to get the barrel to fit correctly.

iu

Everyone who owns one says they kick like a mule.
Shooting exotic guns back then I wore proper leather shouldered kit, besides I was younger.... a lot stronger and mad as fuck!
LOL
In my day i shot a lot of Russian Baikal cartridges, 12bore was 1-7/8oz a huge kick. I remember the Kentucky rifle it was comparable to a Russian 12guage 7#

View attachment 392094

View attachment 392264
Here's the reading;

iu

View attachment 392468

Ahhh the Reading. For starter people,,, look at the patchbox, look at the drop in the stock, the comb.. Pedersoli makes very fine rifles regardless,,, a few not period correct inconsistencies. Still great rifles and shooters.

View attachment 392094

View attachment 392264
Here's the reading;

iu

View attachment 392468

Ahhh the Reading. For starter people,,, look at the patchbox, look at the drop in the stock, the comb.. Pedersoli makes very fine rifles regardless,,, a few not period correct inconsistencies. Still great rifles and shooters.
A custom made Pennsylvania Flintlock Rifle is used by Hugh Glass (Leonardo DiCaprio), and later by John Fitzgerald (Tom Hardy) and Bridger (Will Poulter) “in the Film Revenant”. A pair of rifles were made for the production by Ron Luckenbill, who based them on an original rifle made by John Shuler of Bucks County
The Best Flintlick rifles of that age were made by Germans in Pennsylvania.

View attachment 392094

View attachment 392264
Here's the reading;

iu

View attachment 392468

A custom made Pennsylvania Flintlock Rifle is used by Hugh Glass (Leonardo DiCaprio), and later by John Fitzgerald (Tom Hardy) and Bridger (Will Poulter) “in the Film Revenant”. A pair of rifles were made for the production by Ron Luckenbill, who based them on an original rifle made by John Shuler of Bucks County
Ah yes, I watched the Revenant............. As expected Hollywood took a great historical event of survival and retribution and Hollywooded it.......... In Hollywood's defense their job isn't to relay history, their job is to entertain.

View attachment 392094

View attachment 392264
Here's the reading;

iu

View attachment 392468

Ah yes, I watched the Revenant............. As expected Hollywood took a great historical event of survival and retribution and Hollywooded it.......... In Hollywood's defense their job isn't to relay history, their job is to entertain.
I heard about the book so I read it before seeing the film, In the book Hugh Glass had a fiancé in San Francisco, and only was doing the scouting and trapping to get married, she fell ill and died before he got back to her.
Various bits of the film was not from the book, like you say Hollywood’s job is to entertain.

View attachment 392094

View attachment 392264
Here's the reading;

iu

View attachment 392468

I heard about the book so I read it before seeing the film, In the book Hugh Glass had a fiancé in San Francisco, and only was doing the scouting and trapping to get married, she fell ill and died before he got back to her.
Various bits of the film was not from the book, like you say Hollywood’s job is to entertain.

Hollywood versions of history can be extremely frustrating to those of us who know history. Same with Biblical interpretations. There are a few movies that are actually better than the books they were adapted from, i.e. "Out of Africa", "Giant", "The Devil Wears Prada". But many are also disappointing & don't measure up.

I can forgive the occasional blooper that the editors miss such as a modern wrist watch on a 16th century peasant or the reflection of the camera in a door glass on the Titanic. And I enjoy a little creativity with the characters. Harder to overlook when they rewrite the history though.

Forum List

Back