USMB Coffee Shop IV

Very nice!
I like the new couches. Very comfy looking. I like the ocean view. :)

Happy Anniversary RD !!!!!!!

We only had the last coffee shop for a month.
Will we have to get new ones every month now?
Inquiring minds want t know. :)

OOooooohh... I LIKE this new Coffee Shop... CLASSY...
MSN-Emoticon-applause-004.gif
Absolutely. It looks like the type of Coffee Shop that may also house a cigar lounge.
2650_1308_general.jpg

We do and seeing we exist in cyberspace, we can legally stock the finest cigars in the world.

habanos-cohiba-esplendido-1145-MLC4456294879_062013-F-1024x768.jpg
Cohiba's! The best Cuban cigars. My favorite Cubans are the cigarillos. Nothing beats a Cohiba Cigarillo.

I'll try to explain this as simple as possible in laymens terms.

Back in the day when the old CS was up USMB didn't have many threads that grew to huge proportions. The CS could bloat to 20K + posts without a hiccup because it was pretty much the largest thread around and the database could handle all the calls (hey somebody wants to view the CS, hey send out this new post to all the subscribers etc). As time went on and USMB began to accumulate other large threads they began to take up resources (naturally).

So when a member was accessing the CS (already huge) it would slow down the site because all those other threads are taking up resources and now somebody wants to view/post in the CS. We'd get complaints of slowdowns and we could look at the database and see that the CS was the culprit.

Just recently we got complaints of slowdowns and saw that the CS and Tavern were the culprit, but there is a twist. Since these threads are active they are going to raise a red flag when we look at the database. You can see all the queries and the majority led back to the CS and the Tavern (which has also grown since then) The twist is that whats happening now is that we have several threads that are just as big if not bigger that have finally grown so large that they are taking up resources just sitting there. So when people wanted to access the CS or Tavern it impacted the ENTIRE site.

In short we've had to wipe out quite a few threads to get things back on track. Will the CS ever hit the xx,xxx post count again? I don't know. This site is busy and members are very active so we'll have to keep and eye out on everything

Essentially USMB used to be like a little snowball rolling downhill. Well now that little snowball has grown into a humongous snowball(threads and posts) crushing everything in its path. We shaved off a lot of the excess snow so things should be ok for a while.

Hopefully thats makes some sense. USMB is an aging beauty and she will get sick sometimes. She see's the best doctors so don't worry about nuthin'

Thanks for your time

Does our images have a lot to do with it or is it just the larger threads?
Should we just talk more with less pictures?
I know that graphics use up an awful lot of space.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: 007
Okay, house guest is arrived and I managed to kick enough stuff under beds etc. to be pretty ready. Hombre brought home ribs from Applebees so I didn't have to cook.

I forgot to mention the open air but climate controlled and perfectly ventilated smoking deck for the cigar afficionados and other smokers. You don't have to be a smoker to go there to enjoy the smell of a really good cigar, which I do, or a great smelling pipe tobacco, which I do.

Congrats to Mr and Mrs RD on their anniversary!!!

WTG to Ollie and yes, what a wonderful community service project for the Boy Scouts!

And thanks to C_K for the explanation. The way I understand it, we will be moving the Coffee Shop about every 2000 posts unless admin comes up with some kind of fix so we don't have to. We are not only an active thread with participants, but we attract a lot of views from both in house and from lurkers out there on the internet. But as long as you guys want this place to hang out there will be a Coffee Shop.

I'll try to explain this as simple as possible in laymens terms.

Back in the day when the old CS was up USMB didn't have many threads that grew to huge proportions. The CS could bloat to 20K + posts without a hiccup because it was pretty much the largest thread around and the database could handle all the calls (hey somebody wants to view the CS, hey send out this new post to all the subscribers etc). As time went on and USMB began to accumulate other large threads they began to take up resources (naturally).

So when a member was accessing the CS (already huge) it would slow down the site because all those other threads are taking up resources and now somebody wants to view/post in the CS. We'd get complaints of slowdowns and we could look at the database and see that the CS was the culprit.

Just recently we got complaints of slowdowns and saw that the CS and Tavern were the culprit, but there is a twist. Since these threads are active they are going to raise a red flag when we look at the database. You can see all the queries and the majority led back to the CS and the Tavern (which has also grown since then) The twist is that whats happening now is that we have several threads that are just as big if not bigger that have finally grown so large that they are taking up resources just sitting there. So when people wanted to access the CS or Tavern it impacted the ENTIRE site.

In short we've had to wipe out quite a few threads to get things back on track. Will the CS ever hit the xx,xxx post count again? I don't know. This site is busy and members are very active so we'll have to keep and eye out on everything

Essentially USMB used to be like a little snowball rolling downhill. Well now that little snowball has grown into a humongous snowball(threads and posts) crushing everything in its path. We shaved off a lot of the excess snow so things should be ok for a while.

Hopefully thats makes some sense. USMB is an aging beauty and she will get sick sometimes. She see's the best doctors so don't worry about nuthin'

Thanks for your time

Does our images have a lot to do with it or is it just the larger threads?

Should we just talk more with less pictures?

I know that graphics use up an awful lot of space.
just the large threads that have been going on for a long time.

The normal life cycle of a thread is usually a couple of months. Here a lot of them go on for several months even years.

Pics are fine

Oh, and thanks to Derideo_Te for recoding the Owl and entry message in my sig line. It now gets us to the current Coffee Shop. Since it appears we may have to move fairly often now, maybe when somebody has time to fix the owl icon, let's just take the number off of it and make it the USMB Coffee Shop. That way it won't have to be redone every time.

Hey, the new shop is nice. A Cappucino bar would be nice. Now I need to post all those celebs drinking coffee all over again... and no one will be any the wiser. :D

:lol:

I think we might remember most, but yeah, some are worth posting again. And the bar serves the world's greatest cappuccinos as well as lattes and mochas, Irish coffees, and all the greatest blends. :)

Yes^^^^:lol:

Your business is still the sweetest place in the community, Foxfyre, and I love coming here. :thup: Thanks for your patience and goodwill.

Oh, and thanks to Derideo_Te for recoding the Owl and entry message in my sig line. It now gets us to the current Coffee Shop. Since it appears we may have to move fairly often now, maybe when somebody has time to fix the owl icon, let's just take the number off of it and make it the USMB Coffee Shop. That way it won't have to be redone every time.

where's that pacer guy when you need him

Wow! Nice new digs. Went to the daughters sports banquet. Steak was great. Munchkin lettered in 2 sports but I was most proud of the scholar athlete award she got for her 3.8 GPA. They're spending the night at school cause they have to get up at 4 to head to the airport for their Alaska cruise. Wasn't home 5 minutes and got a text saying she missed us already.

Okay we're back up and running yet again everybody. Sorry I wasn't here earlier but hope we don't lose folks in the transition.

And the statistics so far:

The original USMB Coffee Shop opened on 5-4-2010 and acquired 80,455 posts and 3,285,729 views before it closed on 7-30-13.
USMB Coffee Shop II opened on 7-30-13 and acquired 25,935 posts and 486,351 views before it closed on 4-14-14.
The USMB Coffee Shop III opened on 4-15-14 and is closing on 5-15-14 with 2,803 posts and 32,229 views.

The original two Coffee Shops had acquired roughly 100,000 more views before CK had to delete them. I really hate losing all those great photos, especially of those of us who frequent the Coffee Shop, but oh well.

But at any rate, the stats for the Coffee Shop record now stand at 109,193 posts and roughly 3,904,309 views.

375 different people (give or take a few due to name changes) have posted in the Coffee Shop at some time.

I like to think this record is because of the really special people we have learned to get to know and love in the Coffee Shop, and the genuine affection, concern, and encouragement that can be found there. And there's always room for more folks who need or want or appreciate that.

Long live the Coffee Shop!!!

There's already nearly 50 posts in here and I just got here. I don't think I'll read them all. I'm thinking we might have to hold back on the pictures. That was only ONE month.

No way Spoonie. And we're happy we didn't.

Reminds me of between my sophomore and junior years in high school though--our church selected me as the youth representative to attend a national youth convocation at Purdue University. We spent about a week at the convocation and then several days touring other interesting places. And while I was gone, my folks packed up and moved!

They did leave a forwarding address, didn't they?...:lol:

Okay we're back up and running yet again everybody. Sorry I wasn't here earlier but hope we don't lose folks in the transition.

And the statistics so far:

The original USMB Coffee Shop opened on 5-4-2010 and acquired 80,455 posts and 3,285,729 views before it closed on 7-30-13.
USMB Coffee Shop II opened on 7-30-13 and acquired 25,935 posts and 486,351 views before it closed on 4-14-14.
The USMB Coffee Shop III opened on 4-15-14 and is closing on 5-15-14 with 2,803 posts and 32,229 views.

The original two Coffee Shops had acquired roughly 100,000 more views before CK had to delete them. I really hate losing all those great photos, especially of those of us who frequent the Coffee Shop, but oh well.

But at any rate, the stats for the Coffee Shop record now stand at 109,193 posts and roughly 3,904,309 views.

375 different people (give or take a few due to name changes) have posted in the Coffee Shop at some time.

I like to think this record is because of the really special people we have learned to get to know and love in the Coffee Shop, and the genuine affection, concern, and encouragement that can be found there. And there's always room for more folks who need or want or appreciate that.

Long live the Coffee Shop!!!

There's already nearly 50 posts in here and I just got here. I don't think I'll read them all. I'm thinking we might have to hold back on the pictures. That was only ONE month.

Bolded by moi: I agree! :eusa_clap:

just the large threads that have been going on for a long time.

The normal life cycle of a thread is usually a couple of months. Here a lot of them go on for several months even years.

Pics are fine

Thought I'd bump this post of c_k's, because I was thinking the same thing about pics taking up a lot of bandwidth causing the CS to drag down the site, but, according to c_k, that doesn't appear to be the case.

There should be one place in the USMB village where folks can just be themselves and get to know each other as we would if we lived next door or worked together or joined the same gym.

This is a place to just come in and say hi, let us know what's going on with you these days, celebrate joys, concerns, jokes, music, hobbies, interests, love and life.

So check your spurs, sidearms, politics, and religious fussing at the door, come in to enjoy an adult beverage or a hot cup of coffee and a piece of pie or whatever comforts your soul, and let's just enjoy each other.

04dKB.jpg

OOooooohh... I LIKE this new Coffee Shop... CLASSY...
MSN-Emoticon-applause-004.gif

Dang, do we have to wear shoes to come in here now? Sometimes I liked coming into the Coffee Shop in my robe and pj's and slippers....will I still be able to do that?

Forum List

Back