USMB Coffee Shop IV

Snow, snow, snow! We've got a pretty good cover of snow outside. It's 18 degrees, there's maybe a couple of inches of snow on the ground, but the little one is inside, because it's too cold for her out there. :lol: She went out for a bit, but her hands were freezing and she came back in. I'm worried about the dog, he hates being out in the snow, but I don't want him deciding to use the house as a bathroom.

It's supposed to get warmer tomorrow, and as high as the 50s by Friday, so the snow won't last. That's actually perfect, since no one wants to drive in it. :) Everyone has a snow day today, tomorrow it will probably be back to normal (although the schools could stay closed, I suppose).

They're just preparing us for the new series:

That looks interesting!

Probably a well done series, but it looks more consistently excruciatingly dark and depressing than I would enjoy I fear. I don't mind some tragedy in a movie but I also want my spirits lifted, to be entertained, inspired, amused, identify, and to be able to sigh happily or even cheer at the end. We recently watched "Ghost" again with my Aunt Betty who hadn't seen it. It's one of those movies with love, sex, tragedy, comedy, suspense, betrayal, violence, drama--it has it all--but leaves me very satisfied at the end.

This is by Dan Simmons book, I've read it partially :) If the series would be depressive - it's a law of genre, but it interesting, how they represent a permanent serious frost? Dan Simmons was able, but in this trailer it seems they're don't know, how looks frost... Maybe, in full version it could be more athmospheric?

School is cancelled again tomorrow, so the little one is having a second sleepover day. The two of them are currently watching a movie on the TV in my room.

It's because of low temperature? We usually have cancelled days in schools when the temperature is lower than -30C (-22F). But in Siberia and Chukotka they visit school till -45 - -60C... That's because they're more equipped and living in smaller towns, than we are, I think. When I worked in Siberia, people cancelled almost all working activity lower than -50C. Only planes loves the temperature, like it :)

Snow, snow, snow! We've got a pretty good cover of snow outside. It's 18 degrees, there's maybe a couple of inches of snow on the ground, but the little one is inside, because it's too cold for her out there. :lol: She went out for a bit, but her hands were freezing and she came back in. I'm worried about the dog, he hates being out in the snow, but I don't want him deciding to use the house as a bathroom.

It's supposed to get warmer tomorrow, and as high as the 50s by Friday, so the snow won't last. That's actually perfect, since no one wants to drive in it. :) Everyone has a snow day today, tomorrow it will probably be back to normal (although the schools could stay closed, I suppose).

They're just preparing us for the new series:

That looks interesting!

Probably a well done series, but it looks more consistently excruciatingly dark and depressing than I would enjoy I fear. I don't mind some tragedy in a movie but I also want my spirits lifted, to be entertained, inspired, amused, identify, and to be able to sigh happily or even cheer at the end. We recently watched "Ghost" again with my Aunt Betty who hadn't seen it. It's one of those movies with love, sex, tragedy, comedy, suspense, betrayal, violence, drama--it has it all--but leaves me very satisfied at the end.

This is by Dan Simmons book, I've read it partially :) If the series would be depressive - it's a law of genre, but it interesting, how they represent a permanent serious frost? Dan Simmons was able, but in this trailer it seems they're don't know, how looks frost... Maybe, in full version it could be more athmospheric?

Possibly. It just doesn't look like something I would seek out. I could be wrong. It happens now and then. :)

School is cancelled again tomorrow, so the little one is having a second sleepover day. The two of them are currently watching a movie on the TV in my room.

It's because of low temperature? We usually have cancelled days in schools when the temperature is lower than -30C (-22F). But in Siberia and Chukotka they visit school till -45 - -60C... That's because they're more equipped and living in smaller towns, than we are, I think. When I worked in Siberia, people cancelled almost all working activity lower than -50C. Only planes loves the temperature, like it :)

It's not just low temperature, it's also snow and (most importantly) ice. There isn't a system set up here to deal with snow and ice on the roads, because we don't get it very often. This is the third year we have snow here in the 8 years I've lived in this part of Georgia. I would guess there are no snow plows, no ready ready supplies of sand or salt for the roads, etc.

It's not just low temperature, it's also snow and (most importantly) ice. There isn't a system set up here to deal with snow and ice on the roads, because we don't get it very often. This is the third year we have snow here in the 8 years I've lived in this part of Georgia. I would guess there are no snow plows, no ready ready supplies of sand or salt for the roads, etc.

That's it. A city would be foolish to divert public resources to snow removal and ice treatment equipment that would be used only once or twice in a year, nor could private enterprise benefit from such services. Saveliberty for example has had a nice side business doing snow removal, but he lives in an area that has lots of snow. Albuquerque does have some equipment but not much so it takes it forever to clear all but the main thoroughfares when we do have the rare snowstorm with enough accumulation to be a problem. The minor streets and roads and the residential areas just tough it out. If there is sun though, the sun usually takes care of it by mid morning and it is a rare day in Albuquerque that doesn't get sun.

Some years back there was a huge scandal when an over eager snowplow driver veered off Central Avenue and went into the mayor's neighborhood and plowed out his street. It was pretty heavily criticized that he got special treatment. :)

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition and wellness for Gracie,
Mr. and Mrs. Peach174 for full recovery from setback,
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
Drifter for the best job ever,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment,
NosmoKing's cold,

And for our students, job hunters, others in transition.

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, Esthermoon, Sixfoot, and all others we hope are okay and will return to us.
1207686276-11211-winter.jpg

That's it. A city would be foolish to divert public resources to snow removal and ice treatment equipment that would be used only once or twice in a year, nor could private enterprise benefit from such services. Saveliberty for example has had a nice side business doing snow removal, but he lives in an area that has lots of snow. Albuquerque does have some equipment but not much so it takes it forever to clear all but the main thoroughfares when we do have the rare snowstorm with enough accumulation to be a problem. The minor streets and roads and the residential areas just tough it out. If there is sun though, the sun usually takes care of it by mid morning and it is a rare day in Albuquerque that doesn't get sun.

Some years back there was a huge scandal when an over eager snowplow driver veered off Central Avenue and went into the mayor's neighborhood and plowed out his street. It was pretty heavily criticized that he got special treatment. :)
For what it's worth...

In New York City, a place familiar with the occasional crippling snowfall, garbage trucks are fitted out with snow plows. Here of course we have bespoke trucks with salt scattering equipment as well as plows to deal with our snow.

But what if cities in milder climes just bought the plow and attached them to the trucks already n the city fleet? You may not need the ability to scatter salt and gravel, but ridding the streets of snow means those streets will be clear once the sun comes out and dries them off. We have to wait for St. Patrick's Day for the sun etc come out and dry up our streets.

For what it's worth...

In New York City, a place familiar with the occasional crippling snowfall, garbage trucks are fitted out with snow plows. Here of course we have bespoke trucks with salt scattering equipment as well as plows to deal with our snow.

But what if cities in milder climes just bought the plow and attached them to the trucks already n the city fleet? You may not need the ability to scatter salt and gravel, but ridding the streets of snow means those streets will be clear once the sun comes out and dries them off. We have to wait for St. Patrick's Day for the sun etc come out and dry up our streets.

A snow that the sun won't clear in a few hours here are extremely rare here as are days that we don't have some sun. Days that the temperatures do not rise above freezing are rare here as well. So they don't get too excited about it.

Just now we had a youtube party... A several of beer and wine and different clips in our rotation! :) Just click my message and I'll post, which clip we're listening right now! :)

Make a bets, what's the three half-drunk Russians listening right now. And check it with my honest translation! :)

p.s.you may offer your clip out of queue! :)

Last edited:
Just now we had a youtube party... A several of beer and wine and different clips in our rotation! :) Just click my message and I'll post, which clip we're listening right now! :)

Make a bets, what's the three half-drunk Russians listening right now. And check it with my honest translation! :)

p.s.you may offer your clip out of queue! :)

Hmm.... For Foxfire:

3 job interviews this week. Glad it's the weekend.
The wife had a phone interview yesterday for a part time 3 month temp position making good money and she starts Feb 1. The job could turn into a permanent position so we'll see how it goes. :thup:
As for me I have found people that want to sell my work for me, wrist cuffs, dressers and possibly even my vests.

3 job interviews this week. Glad it's the weekend.
The wife had a phone interview yesterday for a part time 3 month temp position making good money and she starts Feb 1. The job could turn into a permanent position so we'll see how it goes. :thup:
As for me I have found people that want to sell my work for me, wrist cuffs, dressers and possibly even my vests.

I wish I did things for enjoyment that could make me money. I just play video games, watch TV, and read. :p

Forum List

Back