Update: Asking for a raise

Wow. With your attitude, I can see why you didn't get the raise you asked for.

You are silly. Nobody says the same thing to their boss that they say on an anonymous online forum.
I didn't say you said it to your boss. I said the way you express yourself here...gives me a pretty good idea of what you are like in real life. I wouldn't give you a raise. I'd hope you would give your two week notice. Hell, I wouldn't care if you just up and quit without notice.

Secondly, if I were in your shoes, I would be looking for another job WITHOUT asking for a raise. I KNOW what I am worth. Sometimes, employers have no clue, nor care. Which is fine with me. I don't have to work for them.

You are silly. Nobody says the same thing to their boss that they say on an anonymous online forum.
I didn't say you said it to your boss. I said the way you express yourself here...gives me a pretty good idea of what you are like in real life. I wouldn't give you a raise. I'd hope you would give your two week notice. Hell, I wouldn't care if you just up and quit without notice.

Secondly, if I were in your shoes, I would be looking for another job WITHOUT asking for a raise. I KNOW what I am worth. Sometimes, employers have no clue, nor care. Which is fine with me. I don't have to work for them.

At my new job I'll try to be the piece of crap employee. They seem to have a better deal. Good employees always seem to have an "attitude problem" and should shut the hell up and go do some more work. Good employees eventually end up standing up for themselves which makes everyone uncomfortable. I am a pushover. It gets me into trouble all the time. All I have to do is call out more often, demand more vacations, whine about extra work, constantly complain about my pay, ignore opportunities to do more and stay forever. I should be able to succeed in the future if I can resist my inclination to be useful, helpful and fill in the gaps as needed. I'll just be normal and stop being so damn good. I'll make more money and do less work. How can I develop an attitude under those circumstances?

I'm going to be the piece of crap employee. It is much better than having an "attitude" all of the time. It's a strategy worth considering. Thanks Gracie. You're a gem.

P.S. This is a messed up world that we live in.

At my new job I'll try to be the piece of crap employee. They seem to have a better deal. Good employees always seem to have an "attitude problem" and should shut the hell up and go do some more work. Good employees eventually end up standing up for themselves which makes everyone uncomfortable. I am a pushover. It gets me into trouble all the time. All I have to do is call out more often, demand more vacations, whine about extra work, constantly complain about my pay, ignore opportunities to do more and stay forever. I should be able to succeed in the future if I can resist my inclination to be useful, helpful and fill in the gaps as needed. I'll just be normal and stop being so damn good. I'll make more money and do less work. How can I develop an attitude under those circumstances?

I'm going to be the piece of crap employee. It is much better than having an "attitude" all of the time. It's a strategy worth considering. Thanks Gracie. You're a gem.

P.S. This is a messed up world that we live in.
In all seriousness....you are wasting your time with this company. Really. You are. They MUST be some other place that needs the skills you have. START LOOKING. Even if you have to drive a bit of distance, getting what you are WORTH is worth the gas. Or commute with others and share the cost. Whatever it takes. Why you are wasting time on this place you work at when it is obvious they don't give a shit, amazes me. Put an ad in Craigslist. Go to Monster as someone else suggested. You are just a body to fill a hole and they don't give a shit about anything other than that. So why stay there if your wife is doing well in HER job and your house is paid for? Hire yourself out. Advertise you do bookkeeping. SOMETHING.

In all seriousness....you are wasting your time with this company. Really. You are. They MUST be some other place that needs the skills you have. START LOOKING. Even if you have to drive a bit of distance, getting what you are WORTH is worth the gas. Or commute with others and share the cost. Whatever it takes. Why you are wasting time on this place you work at when it is obvious they don't give a shit, amazes me. Put an ad in Craigslist. Go to Monster as someone else suggested. You are just a body to fill a hole and they don't give a shit about anything other than that. So why stay there if your wife is doing well in HER job and your house is paid for? Hire yourself out. Advertise you do bookkeeping. SOMETHING.

Do you think spare_change will agree? I haven't received his advice yet.

Do you think spare_change will agree? I haven't received his advice yet.
Is sparechange your boss? Does he pay your utilities? Does he buy your food? Walk your dogs? Why care what he has to say? You asked advice. You got it. And he was your devils advocate. Now take what you have been advised on and don't get all cocky about it. Or....do get cocky. It's your life.

Is sparechange your boss? Does he pay your utilities? Does he buy your food? Walk your dogs? Why care what he has to say? You asked advice. You got it. And he was your devils advocate. Now take what you have been advised on and don't get all cocky about it. Or....do get cocky. It's your life.

No. He isn't my boss. No. He doesn't pay my utilities. No. He doesn't buy my food. No. He doesn't walk my dog. This thread wasn't about advice. This thread was to share the outcome of an experiment that I attempted last year.

I'm not sure how it turned into a Dear Abbey column. I'm interested in what spare_change has to say because he owns a business. He has more insight into the other side of things. If he says that I should stay for $9.00 an hour even though I am worth a lot more then I will take his advice into consideration.

there is safety in multitude of counsellors.

Last edited:

No. He isn't my boss. No. He doesn't pay my utilities. No. He doesn't buy my food. No. He doesn't walk my dog. This thread wasn't about advice. This thread was to share the outcome of an experiment that I attempted last year.

I'm not sure how it turned into a Dear Abbey column. I'm interested in what spare_change has to say because he owns a business. He has more insight into the other side of things. If he says that I should stay for $9.00 an hour even though I am worth a lot more then I will take his advice into consideration.

There is safety in a multitude of conselors.
lol. Okeydokey then. But sparechange is not the only one that "owns" a business or owned one before retiring, or knows the hospitality business, etc.
If you want to stay at a dead end job because some stranger on the net says so...then by all means go for it.

If you want to stay at a dead end job because some stranger on the net says so...then by all means go for it.

or leave the only job that I can get because someone on the net says so.

I'd prefer to hear as many sides as possible if that is ok.

spare_change might have some insight that neither of us have considered. I'm not saying that I am obligated to take his advice but I do want to hear it.

Frankly, if he's low level ... it doesn't make any difference. Plug and play, my friend.

If he's a high value employee, it's a loss, but the cost of keeping him exceeds the loss of losing him. It's all math ....

Do you think I need to leave that job? What would you do? I probably shouldn't have mentioned money to them. Whoops! Live and learn.

If I am a bad employee then they will be thankful that I left because I will save them trouble. If I am a good employee then they will be thankful that I left because I am saving them money.

I guess it's a no-brainer. It's past time for me to go.

The fastest way to invigorate your career is to move to another company. Quick raise and a quick promotion

You don't apply for a job like you've got - you apply for the job you want. You'll get a pay raise, and you can finesse a better position. That's the problem with ruts --- they're comfortable, but their damn hard to get out of.

My single tip for interviews? You only need to know four words ---- I CAN DO THAT. If the interviewer asks if you can make coffee, that's your answer - if he asks you if you can design skyscrapers, you can do that, too. Then, you go home and figure out HOW you can do that. It's not your job to point out your shortfalls - it's your job to represent your skills in their most favorable light.

Dude you have an aa in accounting. You can be a self-employed bookkeeper and charge over 15 an hr. Hotel? Do you realize how many small businesses need bookkeepers? Get referral s and go business to business and you can make it a career. Emily would agree

I believe people end up going with certain jobs, colleges, political and religious groups,
because we are meant to meet certain people to interact and learn grow and share in certain ways.

It is like a script, where certain characters meet at certain scenes so the story of life can unfold
event by event, act by act, scene by scene.

So wherever someone is meant to be, or meant to move from A to B,
there is a reason and a plan in place that all the characters are following.

A lot is changing.

If people change jobs it is for additional reasons, not just the money or opportunity,
but relations and interactions growing and changing.

If you start feeling you don't believe at a job or in a relationship
and you feel something is changing, then work with it, not against it.

If you focus on it as a Positive experience, then you will have peace of mind
and focus when you are making decisions in a calm positive state of mind.
so don't turn change or conflict into something negative to be feared or dreaded.
Approach and embrace with courage and openness to receive better things ahead
and you will attract and maintain a much more positive energy and focus throughout.

Dude you have an aa in accounting. You can be a self-employed bookkeeper and charge over 15 an hr. Hotel? Do you realize how many small businesses need bookkeepers? Get referral s and go business to business and you can make it a career. Emily would agree

I believe people end up going with certain jobs, colleges, political and religious groups,
because we are meant to meet certain people to interact and learn grow and share in certain ways.

It is like a script, where certain characters meet at certain scenes so the story of life can unfold
event by event, act by act, scene by scene.

So wherever someone is meant to be, or meant to move from A to B,
there is a reason and a plan in place that all the characters are following.

A lot is changing.

If people change jobs it is for additional reasons, not just the money or opportunity,
but relations and interactions growing and changing.

If you start feeling you don't believe at a job or in a relationship
and you feel something is changing, then work with it, not against it.

If you focus on it as a Positive experience, then you will have peace of mind
and focus when you are making decisions in a calm positive state of mind.
so don't turn change or conflict into something negative to be feared or dreaded.
Approach and embrace with courage and openness to receive better things ahead
and you will attract and maintain a much more positive energy and focus throughout.

That's exactly how I approach things. In a way people take notice and it's leading by example. Catches on like a wildfire. Edit: When you are pursuing furthering your credentials or education like he is, then you are looking to make a bigger impact where you currently are and the people above you should welcome you to do so and give you more responsibity, which should come with higher pay, but doesn't always work out that way.

Emily - I'm all about making a much bigger impact in this country that a simple accountant or heck even an actuary, but I'm not your typical person/worker. I have resources and high level communication and have held much higher positions then anybody outside the top 1%. I don't ask for permission I put myself through negotiations to make my own decisions and take full control. I know when i do something it WILL get done to perfectionemilynghiem

Last edited:
Update: The below letter was mailed to my boss's house last May. The final outcome was that my pay was increased from $8.25 per hour to $9.00 per hour.

Was that a failure or a success?

Well..... you're making $9.00 an hour.....

What do you think?

Update: The below letter was mailed to my boss's house last May. The final outcome was that my pay was increased from $8.25 per hour to $9.00 per hour.

Just let me know. vasuderatorrent

To: Big Company
Head Honcho
Subj: Pay increase
Date: June 9, 2014

Dear Sir,

•I am in a strong financial position. I currently have a lucrative part time job. My wife has a strong income as well. There are options available to me that were not present when I requested a pay increase back in December 2013.

To: vasuderatorrent
Frm: Head Honcho
Re: Request for Pay Raise

* Your financial position is of no concern to me. If I interpret what you say as a veiled threat, I would remind you that the current unemployment conditions indicate that about 6% of the population would be glad to have your position - even at its current pay scale.
THIS.

Just let me know. vasuderatorrent

To: Big Company
Head Honcho
Subj: Pay increase
Date: June 9, 2014

Dear Sir,

•I am in a strong financial position. I currently have a lucrative part time job. My wife has a strong income as well. There are options available to me that were not present when I requested a pay increase back in December 2013.

To: vasuderatorrent
Frm: Head Honcho
Re: Request for Pay Raise

* Your financial position is of no concern to me. If I interpret what you say as a veiled threat, I would remind you that the current unemployment conditions indicate that about 6% of the population would be glad to have your position - even at its current pay scale.
THIS.

You don't know me and you don't know how to write thought provoking posts. Please go away you thoughtless bum.

Forum List

Back