Update: Asking for a raise

Given what you've stated about your education and experience, you could be making double your current pay. You'd be amazed at how many jobs are actually available out there. Go to Indeed or Monster or any of the job search sites and take a look. Doesn't a 50% raise sound better than a .75 cent per hour raise?

Here is a list of 40k+ accounting jobs paying $15 per hour or $30k per year.

Accountant 30 000 Jobs Employment Indeed.com

Here is my income for the last 12 years.
2003 $14,269.09
2004 $17,540.55
2005 $23,082.84
2006 $22,486.64
2007 $23,108.60
2008 $26,400.05
2009 $24,666.34
2010 $22,204.23
2011 $11,859.24
2012 $12,664.64
2013 $15,832.92
2014 $22,316.66

$22,316.66 is enough to pay my living expenses and meet my financial obligations but as you can see I have made more money in the past. Should my past income even factor into the equation or should I just be tickled pink that I have a job that provides my living? I'll have a good life either way but what kind of things should be considered?

This seems to be simple but I hear a lot of political ideas about who poor people are and what poor people should be. Those comments makes me kind of question what my responsibility to society should be. It is never my intention to cause anybody harm with my income but it sounds as if I do cause a great deal of suffering by having such a little income. I was taught to be responsible. It becomes very hard to reconcile these things emotionally. It hurts really bad to be considered a failure but should I really consider myself a failure? After all, what have I failed at in life? Every other area of my life is going fine. My family is happy and healthy. I enjoy my job and my co-workers. My car runs good. My dog is pretty nice. I have 3 of the coolest black cats. I graduated from college. I published a book. I ran for public office. I have plenty of money. It just seems that I cause a burden to Conservative Republicans which I consider to be on my side. A larger income might help me gain favor in their presence.

I suppose my mom just raised me old school. I don't fit into my mom's fantasy of what a man is supposed to be. Any other males from the south kind of understand where I am coming from? My life is good but I don't fit into the stereotypical image of a self reliant man that provides for his family. or do I? Does anybody get what I am saying?

Is there any such thing as being an underacheiver? and what does that look like?

The very fact that you've been in the job market for 12 years and you've topped out at 22 grand tells me something about you just aint right.
I dont have a college education and I was making twice that in twelve years.

The very fact that you think it's all a matter of what the final number is tells us volumes about your values.

It isn't.

Given what you've stated about your education and experience, you could be making double your current pay. You'd be amazed at how many jobs are actually available out there. Go to Indeed or Monster or any of the job search sites and take a look. Doesn't a 50% raise sound better than a .75 cent per hour raise?

2003 $14,269.09
2004 $17,540.55
2005 $23,082.84
2006 $22,486.64
2007 $23,108.60
2008 $26,400.05
2009 $24,666.34
2010 $22,204.23
2011 $11,859.24
2012 $12,664.64
2013 $15,832.92
2014 $22,316.66

$22,316.66 is enough to pay my living expenses and meet my financial obligations but as you can see I have made more money in the past. Should my past income even factor into the equation or should I just be tickled pink that I have a job that provides my living? I'll have a good life either way but what kind of things should be considered?

This seems to be simple but I hear a lot of political ideas about who poor people are and what poor people should be. Those comments makes me kind of question what my responsibility to society should be. It is never my intention to cause anybody harm with my income but it sounds as if I do cause a great deal of suffering by having such a little income. I was taught to be responsible. It becomes very hard to reconcile these things emotionally. It hurts really bad to be considered a failure but should I really consider myself a failure? After all, what have I failed at in life? Every other area of my life is going fine. My family is happy and healthy. I enjoy my job and my co-workers. My car runs good. My dog is pretty nice. I have 3 of the coolest black cats. I graduated from college. I published a book. I ran for public office. I have plenty of money. It just seems that I cause a burden to Conservative Republicans which I consider to be on my side. A larger income might help me gain favor in their presence.

I suppose my mom just raised me old school. I don't fit into my mom's fantasy of what a man is supposed to be. Any other males from the south kind of understand where I am coming from? My life is good but I don't fit into the stereotypical image of a self reliant man that provides for his family. or do I? Does anybody get what I am saying?

Is there any such thing as being an underacheiver? and what does that look like?

The very fact that you've been in the job market for 12 years and you've topped out at 22 grand tells me something about you just aint right.

The very fact that you think it's all a matter of what the final number is tells us volumes about your values.

It isn't.

I'm not the one whining about money.

2003 $14,269.09
2004 $17,540.55
2005 $23,082.84
2006 $22,486.64
2007 $23,108.60
2008 $26,400.05
2009 $24,666.34
2010 $22,204.23
2011 $11,859.24
2012 $12,664.64
2013 $15,832.92
2014 $22,316.66

It isn't.

It's the only criterion I see in your post. You seem to think that achieving some certain number, or comparing those dick sizes numbers, is all there is.

And again -- it isn't.

Me, I've never made a big income. I'm not posting the numbers; I don't even know what they are, nor do I care. But what I do know is that I've been working in things I love to do that afford me creativity and control, for some three and a half decades, and it's been a loooong time since I had to 9-to-5 or wear a monkey suit.

2003 $14,269.09
2004 $17,540.55
2005 $23,082.84
2006 $22,486.64
2007 $23,108.60
2008 $26,400.05
2009 $24,666.34
2010 $22,204.23
2011 $11,859.24
2012 $12,664.64
2013 $15,832.92
2014 $22,316.66

It isn't.

It's the only criterion I see in your post. You seem to think that achieving some certain number, or comparing those dick sizes numbers, is all there is.

And again -- it isn't.

You were right ... you have nothing to offer me.

My old boss called and wants me to come back to work. Should I tell them to screw off? or should I go back?

How much pay raise? Change in position?

They just wanted me to fill in for the times that they planned poorly. It was for $9 an hour. There is more to the story but I told my ex-boss to go blow goats. It's ok though. Effective September 14, 2015 I got a job making $12.00 an hour working 8am - 5pm ish. (The store closes at 5pm but there is about a 15-45 minute close out process each day.) I am making $12 an hour for 41.25 - 43.75 hours per week.

Let me do some math.

You were right ... you have nothing to offer me.

My old boss called and wants me to come back to work. Should I tell them to screw off? or should I go back?

How much pay raise? Change in position?

They just wanted me to fill in for the times that they planned poorly. It was for $9 an hour. There is more to the story but I told my ex-boss to go blow goats. It's ok though. Effective September 14, 2015 I got a job making $12.00 an hour working 8am - 5pm ish. (The store closes at 5pm but there is about a 15-45 minute close out process each day.) I am making $12 an hour for 41.25 - 43.75 hours per week.

Let me do some math.
How long are you going to milk this thread? Good lord.

My pay for January 1, 2015 - June 11, 2015 = $8,300.88. My anticipated pay at my new job from September 14, 2015-December 31, 2015 is $7,509. That brings my total for 2015 to $15809.88.

If I would have stayed at my previous job I would have made the $8,300.88 and been paid an additional $9,684.36.

2015 total = $15,809.88
2015 possible total = $17,985.24

If I would have stayed at my previous job then in 2016 I would have earned $17,985.24. At my new job I will earn $24,960 for 2016.

2016 total = $24,960.00
2016 possible total = $17,985.24

2015 and 2016 total = $40,769.88
2015 and 2016 possible total = $35,970.48

That is a difference of $4,799.40 more pay in the course of 18 1/2 months. Only time will tell for sure but the way it looks right now is that I made an excellent decision to quit that suckey job and hold out for a better one.

We will see.

How long are you going to milk this thread? Good lord.

I'm just setting the record straight. At this moment it appears that quitting my crappy job and sitting on my ass for 94 days has really paid off. I'm sure I'll visit this issue again in 6 months, 12 months and 18 1/2 months just to analyze the situation to see if I made a bad decision or a good decision.

It was a gamble for me. I'd like to see how it all pans out.

As most often, you have an overinflated sense of self importance, and have grossly overestimated your contribution to this company. You were getting paid exactly what you were worth - your contribution to the overall production of this company was reflected in your pay scale. Minimum wage production gets minimum wage pay.

I wish you luck - I suspect you're going to need it.

You were wrong. I am making more money now. Why were you paying me so shitty? How is your new employee working out? Does he/she still kiss the ground you walk on for $8.00 an hour?

It's nice to see you again.

As most often, you have an overinflated sense of self importance, and have grossly overestimated your contribution to this company. You were getting paid exactly what you were worth - your contribution to the overall production of this company was reflected in your pay scale. Minimum wage production gets minimum wage pay.

I wish you luck - I suspect you're going to need it.

You were wrong. I am making more money now. Why were you paying me so shitty? How is your new employee working out? Does he/she still kiss the ground you walk on for $8.00 an hour?

It's nice to see you again.
I paid you what you were worth, not what you wanted.

I paid you what you were worth, not what you wanted.

Are you suggesting that my new employer is paying me more than I am worth? If so, should I just milk it for all it is worth? Should I be concerned that I work for a company that makes poor decisions?

There seems to be some inaccuracies in what you are proclaiming.

We pay green helpers more than this loser............geesh...................

Hell...........fire watches sitting on buckets make more than this loser.............

Grow a set a go out and make some decent money.

We pay green helpers more than this loser............geesh...................

Hell...........fire watches sitting on buckets make more than this loser.............

Grow a set a go out and make some decent money.

I live in Eastern North Carolina.

I would like my lost vacation I have lost over the past 3 years ( 3 weeks of vacation I earned - now I only get one week ) paid to me.......I want the time off - not the money.

I would like to stop having to pay for my own insurance - and my 100% insurance returned.

I would like a pay raise to make up for the $900.00 dollars a month I have lost when my job was contracted out.

I would like to be paid for when I work a supervisors spot.

Shadow 355

New Topics

Forum List

Back