Update: Asking for a raise

Good luck!

I don't need good luck. Did you read the OP?

Here is a refresher for you:

Update: The below letter was mailed to my boss's house last May. The final outcome was that my pay was increased from $8.25 per hour to $9.00 per hour.

The boss received this letter and raised my pay to $9.00 per hour.

The very fact that you've been in the job market for 12 years and you've topped out at 22 grand tells me something about you just aint right.
I dont have a college education and I was making twice that in twelve years.

I made $26,400.05 back in 2008. Here is the list again.

Here is my income for the last 12 years.
2003 $14,269.09
2004 $17,540.55
2005 $23,082.84
2006 $22,486.64
2007 $23,108.60
2008 $26,400.05
2009 $24,666.34
2010 $22,204.23
2011 $11,859.24
2012 $12,664.64
2013 $15,832.92
2014 $22,316.66 ($3,800 was from a part time job)

Good luck!

Update: The below letter was mailed to my boss's house last May. The final outcome was that my pay was increased from $8.25 per hour to $9.00 per hour.

The very fact that you've been in the job market for 12 years and you've topped out at 22 grand tells me something about you just aint right.

2003 $14,269.09
2004 $17,540.55
2005 $23,082.84
2006 $22,486.64
2007 $23,108.60
2008 $26,400.05
2009 $24,666.34
2010 $22,204.23
2011 $11,859.24
2012 $12,664.64
2013 $15,832.92

Where the hell do you live that you cant find better work?

[

What field do you work in? Do you live in the Southeast part of the United States? Do you live on the West Coast? Do you live in a state that borders Canada?

I know people make pretty good in sales. I know that people make pretty good in North Dakota. I know that government employees make a killing. Just to survive in California you are going to need a six figure income. In Laurinburg, North Carolina you can buy a house for $18,000. Making minimum wage in Lauringburg would result in a lifestyle superior to that of a brain surgeon.

What is your secret? Geography? Your line of work? Are you a government employee? How did you work your way up to $44,000 per year? It sounds like you have done very well. There is nothing wrong with that.

Good luck!

2003 $14,269.09
2004 $17,540.55
2005 $23,082.84
2006 $22,486.64
2007 $23,108.60
2008 $26,400.05
2009 $24,666.34
2010 $22,204.23
2011 $11,859.24
2012 $12,664.64
2013 $15,832.92

Where the hell do you live that you cant find better work?

Jacksonville, North Carolina. Jacksonville, North Carolina is only one of 4 cities in the United States where men make more than women. The other 3 cities are in California.

Besides I probably could make a little bit more but my wife works and my house is paid for. I suppose I just lack the motivation to explore other options. I have an extremely comfortable financial situation. I made some really good decisions with those low incomes in the past.

[

What field do you work in? Do you live in the Southeast part of the United States? Do you live on the West Coast? Do you live in a state that borders Canada?

I know people make pretty good in sales. I know that people make pretty good in North Dakota. I know that government employees make a killing. Just to survive in California you are going to need a six figure income. In Laurinburg, North Carolina you can buy a house for $18,000. Making minimum wage in Lauringburg would result in a lifestyle superior to that of a brain surgeon.

What is your secret? Geography? Your line of work? Are you a government employee? How did you work your way up to $44,000 per year? It sounds like you have done very well. There is nothing wrong with that.

I live outside Houston.
I was a machinist for around 25 years and did some investing then retired at 46 four years ago.

I live outside Houston.
I was a machinist for around 25 years and did some investing then retired at 46 four years ago.

My wife has a friend that lives in Magnolia. I think that is outside of Houston. She says the Walmart starts out at $14 an hour.

My house cost $52,000. I paid it off in twelve years. I'm not sure I could do that in Magnolia. I'd probably have to start out renting at $1,600 a month or something. That is a lot more than $0.00 per month.

I live outside Houston.

My wife has a friend that lives in Magnolia. I think that is outside of Houston. She says the Walmart starts out at $14 an hour.

My house cost $52,000. I paid it off in twelve years. I'm not sure I could do that in Magnolia. I'd probably have to start out renting at $1,600 a month or something. That is a lot more than $0.00 per month.

Most people who live in Magnolia work in Houston.
It's hard to beat the cost of living and home prices around here.
Paid around $330,000 for a house that you couldnt touch for less than 2 million on the east or west coast and if you cant find work here you aint trying.

To: vasuderatorrent

I wish you luck trying to find a job. Since you've shown no propensity for self improvement, and have so obviously overestimated your value to this company, I suspect it will be much more difficult than you might believe.

By the way, don't worry about any difficulty we might have finding your replacement. We have two drawers of resumes on file.

As a parting gift, I will give you some free advice - something for you to keep in mind in your future endeavors. "Minimum wage performance gets minimum wage pay."

Good luck!

Dear Sir,

Sounds good. When you said, "If you will recall, you were paid to gain your experience with Big Company. Despite your inability to make meaningful contribution during your learning period, you were retained in the expectation that your contributions would reach a certain level. You have reached the level where your contribution is equal to your compensation."

Does that mean that you lost money because I left before that period of time was reached? Did you realize that you started me at minimum wage?

I guess it doesn't really matter. I was just thinking out loud. Oh well. Maybe your new employee will stay for 20 years and work for minimum wage. Personally I'm not interested in that bull shit. I think that you will find that not too many people are either. I'm sure you do have a drawer full of resumes. Will they show up? Will they steal from you? Will they lie to you? Will they come in at the drop of hat because you failed to plan properly? Will they care about your company? Will they be repeatedly sick and miss work? By the way you can't fire them for being sick. You just have to put up with it. Enjoy your hiring spree.

Again. I guess I am thinking out loud. I hope all works out with your new employees. Once the first 3 or 4 quit, keep me in mind. You know where I stand. You know what kind of employee that I am. You know that I will bend over backwards for you to make things happen. You can't tell that by looking at 500 pieces of paper.

Anyways. None of this matters. Go hire yourself silly and don't cry when you get a crummy employee that wants to stay with you forever and a day and you are too cheap to fire them because you don't want to get in trouble with the Employment Security Commission.

On second thought. Go screw yourself. Don't ever call me again and just forget that you ever met me. You are a complete idiot that has no idea how to run a business. I hope you continue to lose money. Just keep buying everything on the cheap. The customers have been noticing it for several years. Go hire your minimum wage slob. Stay the hell away from me and everybody that I know.

Good bye,

vasuderatorrent

As most often, you have an overinflated sense of self importance, and have grossly overestimated your contribution to this company. You were getting paid exactly what you were worth - your contribution to the overall production of this company was reflected in your pay scale. Minimum wage production gets minimum wage pay.

I wish you luck - I suspect you're going to need it.

In 2008 I was making $26,400.05 per year. If you do decide to increase my pay to $10 per hour then that will equate to $20,800. Since I am such a dumb ass and willing to settle for that then this would imply that I have an underinflated sense of self importance.

You are wrong. Perhaps you are sometimes able to lie repeatedly and bully people into devaluing themselves for your benefit but I bet it fails most times. Improve your negotiating strategy. You are going to lose a lot of employees this way but you will be too delusional to notice it. You are really short changing yourself just to enjoy a temporary ego trip.

Wake up!

I wish you luck trying to find a job. Since you've shown no propensity for self improvement, and have so obviously overestimated your value to this company, I suspect it will be much more difficult than you might believe.

By the way, don't worry about any difficulty we might have finding your replacement. We have two drawers of resumes on file.

As a parting gift, I will give you some free advice - something for you to keep in mind in your future endeavors. "Minimum wage performance gets minimum wage pay."

Good luck!

Dear Sir,

Sounds good. When you said, "If you will recall, you were paid to gain your experience with Big Company. Despite your inability to make meaningful contribution during your learning period, you were retained in the expectation that your contributions would reach a certain level. You have reached the level where your contribution is equal to your compensation."

Does that mean that you lost money because I left before that period of time was reached? Did you realize that you started me at minimum wage?

I guess it doesn't really matter. I was just thinking out loud. Oh well. Maybe your new employee will stay for 20 years and work for minimum wage. Personally I'm not interested in that bull shit. I think that you will find that not too many people are either. I'm sure you do have a drawer full of resumes. Will they show up? Will they steal from you? Will they lie to you? Will they come in at the drop of hat because you failed to plan properly? Will they care about your company? Will they be repeatedly sick and miss work? By the way you can't fire them for being sick. You just have to put up with it. Enjoy your hiring spree.

Again. I guess I am thinking out loud. I hope all works out with your new employees. Once the first 3 or 4 quit, keep me in mind. You know where I stand. You know what kind of employee that I am. You know that I will bend over backwards for you to make things happen. You can't tell that by looking at 500 pieces of paper.

Anyways. None of this matters. Go hire yourself silly and don't cry when you get a crummy employee that wants to stay with you forever and a day and you are too cheap to fire them because you don't want to get in trouble with the Employment Security Commission.

On second thought. Go screw yourself. Don't ever call me again and just forget that you ever met me. You are a complete idiot that has no idea how to run a business. I hope you continue to lose money. Just keep buying everything on the cheap. The customers have been noticing it for several years. Go hire your minimum wage slob. Stay the hell away from me and everybody that I know.

Good bye,

vasuderatorrent

As most often, you have an overinflated sense of self importance, and have grossly overestimated your contribution to this company. You were getting paid exactly what you were worth - your contribution to the overall production of this company was reflected in your pay scale. Minimum wage production gets minimum wage pay.

In 2008 I was making $26,400.05 per year. If you do decide to increase my pay to $10 per hour then that will equate to $20,800. Since I am such a dumb ass and willing to settle for that then this would imply that I have an underinflated sense of self importance.

You are wrong. Perhaps you are sometimes able to lie repeatedly and bully people into devaluing themselves for your benefit but I bet it fails most times. Improve your negotiating strategy. You are going to lose a lot of employees this way but you will be too delusional to notice it. You are really short changing yourself just to enjoy a temporary ego trip.

Wake up!

Good luck!

Dear Sir,

Good bye,

vasuderatorrent

Wake up!

You should move if you want to make more money.

Oh yeah? spare_change seems to think that I should kiss his feet and worship the ground he walks on. He thinks I should get up every morning and be thrilled that I am making $8.25 an hour ($17,160 per year) even though I was worth $26,400.05 to somebody in the past.

Why do the two of you have such differing opinions even though we are talking about the same subject? Is one of you wrong? Are both of you wrong? How can I test your diverse theories to ensure that I make a proper decision?

spare_change seems to be convinced that I suck ass. If I do then he deserves me as an employee. You seem to think that I don't suck ass. If I don't then spare_change doesn't deserve me as an employee. Decisions decisions

Oh yeah? spare_change seems to think that I should kiss his feet and worship the ground he walks on. He thinks I should get up every morning and be thrilled that I am making $8.25 an hour ($17,160 per year) even though I was worth $26,400.05 to somebody in the past.

Why do the two of you have such differing opinions even though we are talking about the same subject? Is one of you wrong? Are both of you wrong? How can I test your diverse theories to ensure that I make a proper decision?

spare_change seems to be convinced that I suck ass. If I do then he deserves me as an employee. You seem to think that I don't suck ass. If I don't then spare_change doesn't deserve me as an employee. Decisions decisions

Spare change obviously doesnt care about your well being.
And to tell you the truth I dont either. I was lucky enough to be raised in Houston without a college degree and I retired at 46.
What you do with your life is your business,just trying to be helpful.

Wow! Is that what I said??

You're not even close. I said that you should be worth the raise before you ask for it. Since I don't know you personally, I can only talk in generalities about the people who have worked for me. Your whining, however, convinced me you aren't interested in what you need to do to get ahead - you were only interested in getting more for the effort you currently do. I didn't hear a single question about what you need to do to improve your contribution so that you could be paid more.

GENERALLY speaking - most workers think they somehow DESERVE a living income just because they are breathing, rather than actually having to work for it. They don't try to EARN their promotions, they think they should be given to them because they showed up and did what they got paid to do - nothing extra, no attempt to improve their marketability, no extra contribution that increases their value.

GENERALLY speaking - I think most workers are being sold a bunch of bull - by their liberal leaders. You don't DESERVE a damn thing - you have to earn it. But, hey, it makes good political rhetoric, doesn't it?

GENERALLY speaking - just how much do you think the guy who sweeps the floor at the Ford auto plant is worth? What is the value of his contribution to the car? 1% 5% 10%??

GENERALLY speaking - it's not about what you want, it's about what you're worth.

GENERALLY speaking - minimum wage work gets minimum wage pay. Learn it, live it, love it.

You're not even close. I said that you should be worth the raise before you ask for it. Since I don't know you personally, I can only talk in generalities about the people who have worked for me. Your whining, however, convinced me you aren't interested in what you need to do to get ahead - you were only interested in getting more for the effort you currently do. I didn't hear a single question about what you need to do to improve your contribution so that you could be paid more.

GENERALLY speaking - most workers think they somehow DESERVE a living income just because they are breathing, rather than actually having to work for it. They don't try to EARN their promotions, they think they should be given to them because they showed up and did what they got paid to do - nothing extra, no attempt to improve their marketability, no extra contribution that increases their value.

GENERALLY speaking - I think most workers are being sold a bunch of bull - by their liberal leaders. You don't DESERVE a damn thing - you have to earn it. But, hey, it makes good political rhetoric, doesn't it?

GENERALLY speaking - just how much do you think the guy who sweeps the floor at the Ford auto plant is worth? What is the value of his contribution to the car? 1% 5% 10%??

GENERALLY speaking - it's not about what you want, it's about what you're worth.

GENERALLY speaking - minimum wage work gets minimum wage pay. Learn it, live it, love it.

I started a job in August 2002. I was making $6.50 an hour and working 35 hours per week. That equates to $11,830 per year base salary. By October 2009 I was paid $10.50 per hour and an additional $350 per month. This equates to $26,040 base salary.

I started a job in July 2010. I was making $9.00 an hour and working 40 hours per week. That equates to $18,720 per year base salary. By November 2010 I was making $10.25 per hour. That equates to $21,320 per year base salary.

I started this current job in July 2011. I was making $8.00 an hour and working 16 hours per week. That equates to $6,656 per year. After 3 years I finally worked my way up to $9.00 per hour for 38 hours per week. That's a base salary of $17,784.

If you have a bad employee then you should deny his/her raise in the hopes that he/she will leave. If you have a good employee then you have to accept the possibility that employee will leave. If you don't care then it doesn't matter. Deny the raise. If you don't believe they will leave then you should deny the raise as well.

It is a matter of negotiating. It has nothing to do with their value to the company. How good can they negotiate? How bad do you want them around? It seems like you have an abundance of employees lined up at your door. If that's the case then your situation is different than most. The world is very diverse. Each situation is unique. The employee can't see the employer's cards. The employer can't see the employee's cards.

It's a poker game. There will be a loser and a winner when it's all said and done. I don't see how you can be convinced that the employer is entitled to be the winner every single time. That's just ludicrous. Anybody can tell that employees can be self destructive when they don't get their way. They don't have to stay at your company just because it is advantageous for them to do so. They can always leave and screw themselves over. If they were a bad employee then that is to your advantage. If they were a good employee then I don't see how this benefits you.

Last edited:

I started a job in August 2002. I was making $6.50 an hour and working 35 hours per week. That equates to $11,830 per year base salary. By October 2009 I was paid $10.50 per hour and an additional $350 per month. This equates to $26,040 base salary.

I started a job in July 2010. I was making $9.00 an hour and working 40 hours per week. That equates to $18,720 per year base salary. By November 2010 I was making $10.25 per hour. That equates to $21,320 per year base salary.

I started this current job in July 2011. I was making $8.00 an hour and working 16 hours per week. That equates to $6,656 per year. After 3 years I finally worked my way up to $9.00 per hour for 38 hours per week. That's a base salary of $17,784.

If you have a bad employee then you should deny his/her raise in the hopes that he/she will leave. If you have a good employee then you have to accept the possibility that employee will leave. If you don't care then it doesn't matter. Deny the raise. If you don't believe they will leave then you should deny the raise as well.

It is a matter of negotiating. It has nothing to do with their value to the company. How good can they negotiate? How bad do you want them around? It seems like you have an abundance of employees lined up at your door. If that's the case then your situation is different than most. The world is very diverse. Each situation is unique. The employee can't see the employer's cards. The employer can't see the employee's cards.

It's a poker game. There will be a loser and a winner when it's all said and done. I don't see how you can be convinced that the employer is entitled to be the winner every single time. That's just ludicrous. Anybody can tell that employees can be self destructive when they don't get their way. They don't have to stay at your company just because it is advantageous for them to do so. They can always leave and screw themselves over. If they were a bad employee then that is to your advantage. If they were a good employee then I don't see how this benefits you.

You're wrong - it isn't a poker game - it's a mathematical computation. What are you worth to the company? How much $ does your effort contribute to the final product? What is your value? As for cards, the employer holds ALL the cards - especially when talking to low income-low skill workers. If, on the other hand, you are a high-value employee with a significant contribution to the profitability of the company - then, we negotiate. Until then - it's plug and play, whether you want to admit it or not.

You're wrong - it isn't a poker game - it's a mathematical computation. What are you worth to the company? How much $ does your effort contribute to the final product? What is your value? As for cards, the employer holds ALL the cards - especially when talking to low income-low skill workers. If, on the other hand, you are a high-value employee with a significant contribution to the profitability of the company - then, we negotiate. Until then - it's plug and play, whether you want to admit it or not.

The employee can leave even when it is a stupid thing to do. How does that benefit the company?

The employee can leave even when it is a stupid thing to do. How does that benefit the company?

Frankly, if he's low level ... it doesn't make any difference. Plug and play, my friend.

If he's a high value employee, it's a loss, but the cost of keeping him exceeds the loss of losing him. It's all math ....

Frankly, if he's low level ... it doesn't make any difference. Plug and play, my friend.

If he's a high value employee, it's a loss, but the cost of keeping him exceeds the loss of losing him. It's all math ....

Do you think I need to leave that job? What would you do? I probably shouldn't have mentioned money to them. Whoops! Live and learn.

If I am a bad employee then they will be thankful that I left because I will save them trouble. If I am a good employee then they will be thankful that I left because I am saving them money.

I guess it's a no-brainer. It's past time for me to go.

Last edited:
Wow. With your attitude, I can see why you didn't get the raise you asked for.

Forum List

Back