U.S. Supreme Court rejects J&J appeal over Risperdal drug

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
The U.S. Supreme Court rejected a bid by Johnson & Johnson to overturn a $70 million jury verdict against the pharmaceutical company for its failure to warn about risks associated with off-label uses of its antipsychotic drug Risperdal.

The court turned away the company’s appeal of a November 2019 ruling by the Superior Court of Pennsylvania that upheld the verdict in favor of a Tennessee man named Adam Yount, who was prescribed the drug at age 4 in 2003.

A jury in the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas in 2016 found that the company failed to warn Yount’s healthcare providers about the risk of gynecomastia, an enlargement or swelling of breast tissue in males caused by a hormonal imbalance, and that it intentionally falsified, destroyed or concealed evidence in the case.

Ha Ha! That is one of the worst medications to be prescribed. As a parent, I am grateful that my kid didn't need to be prescribed any medication. This one I would have fought against. It's horrific. Trying to get someone off of this is equally horrific.

hat it intentionally falsified, destroyed or concealed evidence in the case.

In that case $70 million is getting off easy. To me it should include prison time for whoever made the decision to do this.

I wish people could understand how damaging that drug is. People don't pay too much attention to it because they never encounter it and, secondly, it is prescribed by "experts".

I wish people could understand how damaging that drug is. People don't pay too much attention to it because they never encounter it and, secondly, it is prescribed by "experts".
Those prescribing have nothing to go on but the results of the drug trials, and the information provided by the drug companies. That is why it is so important to require the drug companies to be honest, and to punish them when they are not.

The U.S. Supreme Court rejected a bid by Johnson & Johnson to overturn a $70 million jury verdict against the pharmaceutical company for its failure to warn about risks associated with off-label uses of its antipsychotic drug Risperdal.

The court turned away the company’s appeal of a November 2019 ruling by the Superior Court of Pennsylvania that upheld the verdict in favor of a Tennessee man named Adam Yount, who was prescribed the drug at age 4 in 2003.

A jury in the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas in 2016 found that the company failed to warn Yount’s healthcare providers about the risk of gynecomastia, an enlargement or swelling of breast tissue in males caused by a hormonal imbalance, and that it intentionally falsified, destroyed or concealed evidence in the case.

Ha Ha! That is one of the worst medications to be prescribed. As a parent, I am grateful that my kid didn't need to be prescribed any medication. This one I would have fought against. It's horrific. Trying to get someone off of this is equally horrific.
I can't believe they would risk off label use of that on a 4 yr old!

Forum List

Back