Anti Gunners cite and support a "well regulated militia" until a well regulated militia is formed.

Ohhhhh

So we can only use "colonial terms?"
The i suppose only colonial type weapons are valid as well?
it was written in colonial times so it would be dishonest to use any other meaning,,

do you have any opinion on what well regulated meant under the original context??
if not what about any context,,
what does well regulated look like??

Thread cleanup of off topic has been requested on report by member.
It is done. Thread topic is

Anti Gunners cite and support a "well regulated militia" until a well regulated militia is formed.​

If the post was not about the formation of well regulated militia as exampled by Nassau County story, it is history. Stay on Topic.

Ohhhhh

When reading a novel written in the 1920s should you interpret the meaning of ”gay” as it was used then to refer as happy, or as it is used today as a sexual orientation reference? Answer that honestly and you will stop asking dumb questions.

When reading a novel written in the 1920s should you interpret the meaning of ”gay” as it was used then to refer as happy, or as it is used today as a sexual orientation reference? Answer that honestly and you will stop asking dumb questions.
So when reading a document written in 1790 I should assume the meaning of "arms" to mean what it did in 1790?

So when reading a document written in 1790 I should assume the meaning of "arms" to mean what it did in 1790?
they wrote it in 1790 so what other meaning should you use??

arms has always meant anything you can use to protect yourself,,

are you going to tell us what you think well regulated means or not??

Yes, ANY WEAPON. Cannon, private warships, shotguns, sawed off shotguns, multi-barreled rifles and pistols, knives of any length, swords, pikes, axes, shall I go on listing weapons? I'm in favor of it being legal for a citizen to possess any weapon but having draconian penalties for the misuse of any weapon. You could give me a nuclear bomb or container of nerve agent and I would be absolutely no threat to anyone because I wouldn't misuse it. That's the way almost all people are.

Yes, ANY WEAPON. Cannon, private warships, shotguns, sawed off shotguns, multi-barreled rifles and pistols, knives of any length, swords, pikes, axes, shall I go on listing weapons? I'm in favor of it being legal for a citizen to possess any weapon but having draconian penalties for the misuse of any weapon. You could give me a nuclear bomb or container of nerve agent and I would be absolutely no threat to anyone because I wouldn't misuse it. That's the way almost all people are.
Nope, only 1790 weapons.
Single shot manually loaded hand and long guns.

Your rules. I'm just insisting that the rules be consistent.

Ohhhhh

Yeah, you have to use the original meaning. Language changes all of the time. So, in the context of law you are required to use the meaning of the terms WHEN THE CONSTITUTION WAS WRITTEN.

Yeah, you have to use the original meaning. Language changes all of the time. So, in the context of law you are required to use the meaning of the terms WHEN THE CONSTITUTION WAS WRITTEN.
Blunderbuss it is then.

Forum List

Back