U.S. Road Race Champion Dead After Hit By Drunk Driver

Not good.

Probably not the first experience with dui

It may not be a DUI at all. The driver of the car admitted to drinking and smoking weed he night before.

I had a couple of beers last night but, at 10 o'clock this morning, I was stone cold sober...

U.S. cycling champion in the 45-49 age group. Killed by a drugged/drunk driver. And she was in the bike lane, not in the driving lane.

I'd be surprised if drugs or alcohol ultimately came into play here.

This is interesting:

"Montoya told police he was not texting at the time of the accident, but admitted to drinking alcohol and using marijuana the night before".

Seems odd to me. If I wanted the police to think I wasn't doing something, I'd pick the more severe thing and claim I wasn't doing that: "No, sir, I haven't been drinking at all." I sure the fuck wouldn't say "I wasn't texting, but I really tied one on last night."

If he'd been drinking the night before, he would, in all probability, pass a breathalyzer given several hours later. There would've been no reason to say anything about texting, since that information's easily obtained.

He could've been doing something as simple as changing the radio station. Tragic, yes, but equally plausible...

Cycling is not necessarily good for staying healthy.

Yes, it is very good exercise, but it can be very dangerous in traffic with the big boys.

Ever since the introduction of texting and smart phones, it would not surprise me to find out that traffic fatalities have risen sharply.

I honestly think that the establishment does not want to know that. . . it would put a crimp on the economy and lifestyle of the folks and the system.

I was once hit by this woman. . . she stopped at a stop sign, and then. . she went, right into me. No clue what the hell she was thinking. I am sure she was paying attention to her phone and not her driving. But? The police don't ever look at their phones, they claim they need "a warrant," and accidents are not probable cause. I think that is bullshit.

I heard on the radio today, already six road construction workers have been killed.

The police don't ever look at their phones, they claim they need "a warrant," and accidents are not probable cause. I think that is bullshit.

Well, like it or not, that's how it is, and it should be that way. It would constitute an illegal search. What if she claims she doesn't have a phone? All she'd have to do is drop it in her purse and claim she didn't have one. An accident is hardly sufficient probable cause to search the woman's purse for a phone she claims she does not have...

The police don't ever look at their phones, they claim they need "a warrant," and accidents are not probable cause. I think that is bullshit.

Well, like it or not, that's how it is, and it should be that way. It would constitute an illegal search. What if she claims she doesn't have a phone? All she'd have to do is drop it in her purse and claim she didn't have one. An accident is hardly sufficient probable cause to search the woman's purse for a phone she claims she does not have...
If an accident is probable cause to check for sobriety, why is it not probable cause to look for a phone and check texting history?

If an accident is probable cause to check for sobriety, why is it not probable cause to look for a phone and check texting history?

Where did you get the idea that an accident is probably cause? It's not.

The conduct of the driver is what gives a police officer probable cause (slurred speech, stumbling, etc)...

Unfortunately, it was "just an accident." People wander all over the road all the time. If you are on a MC or riding a bike, it is one of the risks that you assume when you decide to go out in traffic. Cell phones have made it worse, but the danger is always there, and if you don't think so that doesn't really matter. (I ride both bikes and MC).

I hope there was more to this woman's life than bike riding. That would be sad.

Forum List

Back