Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
20220219_091829.jpg

Never made it before so I'm kinda winging it lol

2 large breasts diced
4 large russet potatoes quartered
3 full length celery stalks
Baby carrots
Beef broth (unsure If this was a mistake?)
Assorted spices

View attachment 603493

2 large breasts diced
Baby carrots
Assorted spices
It's a good start.

I would have used chicken broth and left the chicken breasts out until after the veggies are cooked because if you cook them for too long, the meat just falls apart in shreds. Unless that's what you want.

How about onions?

Breast meat is only a good choice if you already have a rich chicken broth going. From scratch it's better to use thigh meat.

Do you ever buy rotisserie chickens? I get the fully cooked chickens at Costco. $4.99 - can't beat it. I take all the chicken off the bones, then simmer the bones in water with cut carrots and celery and onions for a good 3 or 4 hours. Drain that broth out into another pot for now, or into an empty milk jug, then freeze for another time. After I've done this with 2 or 3 chickens I use all the broth for a giant pot of Chicken and Dumplings or Chicken Soup.

• Banned
Breast meat is only a good choice if you already have a rich chicken broth going. From scratch it's better to use thigh meat.

Do you ever buy rotisserie chickens? I get the fully cooked chickens at Costco. $4.99 - can't beat it. I take all the chicken off the bones, then simmer the bones in water with cut carrots and celery and onions for a good 3 or 4 hours. Drain that broth out into another pot for now, or into an empty milk jug, then freeze for another time. After I've done this with 2 or 3 chickens I use all the broth for a giant pot of Chicken and Dumplings or Chicken Soup.
That sounds really good

I made something very similar recently, the recipe called for around 8 oz. of heavy cream added to the mix (you can buy a 16 oz. bottle for like $2 at Kroger) and it really made a huge taste difference. Your broth will be white but it tastes so good.

Beef stock?

should have used shrimp or tuna stock.

called it chicken of the sea stew/soup.

View attachment 603493

2 large breasts diced
Baby carrots
Assorted spices

Are you running it through a food processor when you're done?
If not, your potatoes and carrots are way too big. Unless you're out of spoons.
I sometimes add turnips or rutabagas.

Leave out the taters and substitute home made noodles for the last half hour of cooking and you've got my idea of chicken soup.

Better to make your own chicken broth. Hate typing with on screen keyboard so I post this video which is closest to the way I make chicken soup. Keep cooking practice makes perfect.

Forum List

Back