Tips for saving money in the kitchen

Baron Von Murderpaws

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2021
In the recesses of your mind
I learned a lot of money saving tips from my granny, when it came to food.
She grew up during the depression and they never threw anything out.
Everything had a purpose or was reusable.

1. Use bones to make soup stock.

2. Dry cooked/used bones for pet treats.

3. Stale crackers, cereal, bread can be made fresh again.

Crackers and cereal........
Heat up your oven to 200 degrees, then turn it off (both crackers and bread).
Spread out your crackers or cereal onto cookie sheets and place in oven.
Keep in oven until it has cooled off completely.

Bread.............
Dampen a fine milled, clean kitchen towel (all cotton, no fuzz on it).
Wrap your bread loaf in it.
Place on cookie sheet.
Place in oven until it's cooled enough so you can grab pan with bare hands and not burn yourself.

4. Turn stale crackers and bread into croutons.
Crackers.....
For one box of crackers..........
1/2 cup of canola oil
1 packet of dried, instant Ranch dressing mix
1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (you can leave these out if you want)
Whisk the mixture ingredients together.
Put on some clean rubber gloves.
Empty all crackers into large mixing bowl.
Pour mixture over crackers and GENTLY use hands to fold in the crackers to the mixture.
Once all crackers have been coated, place on cookie sheets and put into a 300 degree oven for 10 minutes.
Turn off the oven and leave for 5 more minutes. Take crackers out of oven and let them cool off.
You now have your own snack crackers or break them up for croutons for soups and salads.

Bread..........
Cut bread into cubes (any size you like).
Place cubes onto cookie sheets, place in 300 degree oven for 5 minutes.
Remove from oven and place into large mixing bowl.
Cover with same mixture for crackers. (or you can use Italian dried dressing mix instead of Ranch)
Gently fold in bread squares so they all get covered in mixture.
Place back onto cookie sheets and bake at 300 untile golden brown.
Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.

5. Stale crackers, bread, and cereal can be used for coatings.
Make your own "Shake n Bake" coating mixtures for chicken, beef, corndogs, or whatever.
Can also be used as "fillers" or stabilizers for soups, casseroles, and meatloaf.

Dry out the crackers, cereal, and bread completely.
Heat up oven to 300 degrees....turn the oven OFF, and place all ingredients on cookie sheets.
Place cookie sheets in oven until it is completely cooled off.
If bread is still a bit soft or wet, then heat up oven for 2 minutes, and turn it off. Leaving bread to stay until cool again.

Place super dried out ingredients into a food processor until the consistencly you desire.
Place in air tight container until ready to use.

Making your own "Shake n Bake"......
Place 3 cups of processed crumbs into a large zip lock baggie.
Place one packet of your favorite dried packet of dressing (Ranch, Italian, etc....)
You can put in your own spices you want, if you don't like the premixed spice packets. Ms. Dash also works well.
Zip close the baggie, shake it up well.
Place your prepared meat pieces (even veggie pieces) into your bag, a few at a time, and shake them till coated.
Drop in hot fryer or place in oven to bake, or even air fryer.
If you place in air fryer, you might want to spray them first with an oil, otherwise the crust might burn quicker or fly off.

You can use "batters" as well........
In a bowl, make the crumb mixture you want, then add one cup of buttermilk, milk, or water to make a thick batter you can dip your meats and veggies in. Good for fried mushrooms and corny dogs!!

I will try to remember other things my granny taught me in the kitchen and post on here.

1664128377729.png

Bread.............
Place on cookie sheet.
Place in oven until it's cooled enough so you can grab pan with bare hands and not burn yourself.

Crackers.....
1/2 cup of canola oil
Pour mixture over crackers and GENTLY use hands to fold in the crackers to the mixture.
Once all crackers have been coated, place on cookie sheets and put into a 300 degree oven for 10 minutes.
Turn off the oven and leave for 5 more minutes. Take crackers out of oven and let them cool off.
You now have your own snack crackers or break them up for croutons for soups and salads.

Bread..........
Cover with same mixture for crackers. (or you can use Italian dried dressing mix instead of Ranch)

Make your own "Shake n Bake" coating mixtures for chicken, beef, corndogs, or whatever.
Can also be used as "fillers" or stabilizers for soups, casseroles, and meatloaf.

Heat up oven to 300 degrees....turn the oven OFF, and place all ingredients on cookie sheets.
If bread is still a bit soft or wet, then heat up oven for 2 minutes, and turn it off. Leaving bread to stay until cool again.

Place super dried out ingredients into a food processor until the consistencly you desire.

Place one packet of your favorite dried packet of dressing (Ranch, Italian, etc....)
You can put in your own spices you want, if you don't like the premixed spice packets. Ms. Dash also works well.
Place your prepared meat pieces (even veggie pieces) into your bag, a few at a time, and shake them till coated.
If you place in air fryer, you might want to spray them first with an oil, otherwise the crust might burn quicker or fly off.

In a bowl, make the crumb mixture you want, then add one cup of buttermilk, milk, or water to make a thick batter you can dip your meats and veggies in. Good for fried mushrooms and corny dogs!!

I will try to remember other things my granny taught me in the kitchen and post on here.

View attachment 701419
YUMMY! Next time I make bone broth, I'll make bone treats for my dog too! How do you get the bones to puree? I used to cook my broth for 4 days and that would sometimes get the bones soft enough to puree. I'll bet a mix of bone puree and ground jerked meat, shaped and baked, would drive my girl crazy!

Leftovers can be made into a casserole.........
1664129047087.png

Have leftovers from a big meal or stuff thats just been sitting around in the fridge you don't know what to do with?

Make a casserole!!!

Use leftover meats, veggies, and even other casseroles to make new ones!

These types of casseroles are meant to be made for "one meal sittings", meaning they shouldn't be used a leftovers themselves, unless they are only a day or two old.

You add any of these things to a casserole to make it a casserole, if need some "binders" for your ingredients.........
eggs
rice
soup
bread crumbs
cornbread
stuffing mix
noodles

Or add extras for more flavor or bulk.............
veggies
chopped mushrooms
chopped tofu (tofu will usually soak up the flavor what it's being cooked in)

You don't want to over bake, so its best to use a baking container with a baking lid.
If you like a dry or crunchy top, then take the lid off the last 10 minutes of baking.

If you want your casserole firm, then bake at a lower temp without a lid.

If you are using some fresh ingredients in your casserole, then you want to bake your casserole for the time it takes for those fresh ingredients to bake.

Pot dinners for empty tummies........................
1664129706234.png

If you can cook it in a large pot, it is surmized it costs less, as you buy all your ingredients at once and cook a large pot of food that will last several days. This goes for CROCKPOTS as well.

Pots of tummy fillers that can be made cheaply............

Chili
Stew
Soup
Stuffing
Cornbread Casserole dinners (broccoli/cheese, chili/cheese, tuna/cream cheese, veggie/jalapeno, Jalapeno/cheese, etc...)
Chicken n Rice
BBQ for "sloppy joes"
Roast and veggies
Noodles and meatballs (any sauce you want)
Gumbo
Rice n veggies (with veggie boullion for cooking the rice in)

You can use cheap mixes for these with adding the fresh ingredients or you can make them all from scrach.
Sometimes I make a large crockpot full of stew that lasts me a week, and it only costs about $10.00. Which is about the price of a plain burger now.

I had a friend a few years ago............she LOVED this dish, and she would usually make it for lunch at work everyday.............

One box of rice (any kind) cooked in a large pot.
2 pounds of ground up sausage cooked (any kind)
A few jars of premade mushroom gravy (or any kind you like)

She would mix all that together and make it for herself for a week.

Cheap, filling, and really good!!

Bread.............
Place on cookie sheet.

Crackers.....
1/2 cup of canola oil

Bread..........

View attachment 701419
I find I save a lot by eating dog food one meal per day.
The injuries create a problem though.
Just the other evening, after dinner, I fell off the damn couch and dislocated my collar bone......I was trying to lick my balls and BAM !
9cb85e68-26ad-421e-af03-7a033deb4e66_2.a42a75464be3ae86f1660b5ceb4cd94c.png

I've got an aversion about leftovers.
I suppose it came from my parents making us eat em constantly,it has to be something I really like to eat it two nights in a row.
The dogs love me for it.

i made a thread here about cheap cuts. Most cheap cuts are actually some of the best tasting cuts there are... but it takes work.
And most people aren't willing to do the work.
A couple weeks ago Bonzi bought a 7 lb. Pork shoulder home that was on sale for 7$ !!
A 7 lb. Pork shoulder will easily feed 12-13 people. Or 2 people 6-7 meals.
Another one is whole chickens. Per lb. they are always cheaper than cut pieces.

I've got an aversion about leftovers.
I suppose it came from my parents making us eat em constantly,it has to be something I really like to eat it two nights in a row.
The dogs love me for it.
I think it depends on what it is.
I can eat good vegetable soup 3 maybe even 4 times in a row before I am sick of it.

i made a thread here about cheap cuts. Most cheap cuts are actually some of the best tasting cuts there are... but it takes work.
A couple weeks ago Bonzi bought a 7 lb. Pork shoulder home that was on sale for 7$ !!
Oh, yeah! I've got a couple dozen whole chickens from the Hutterite colony in the freezer. I think I'm going to work on getting them canned because it's almost time to get a new supply of beef. I need the freezer space.

I think it depends on what it is.
I can eat good vegetable soup 3 maybe even 4 times in a row before I am sick of it.

As I said...it has to be something I really like.
Some good seafood gumbo I'm all in. Same goes for a great pot of Charro beans with cornbread.
If it's some kind of average dish I want nothing to do with it on day two.
Of course my Mother was never a great cook which I think is what made me try and be the best cook I can be.

As I said...it has to be something I really like.
Some good seafood gumbo I'm all in. Same goes for a great pot of Charro beans with cornbread.
If it's some kind of average dish I want nothing to do with it on day two.
Of course my Mother was never a great cook which I think is what made me try and be the best cook I can be.
I make a sort of tamale pie that I can take out an reheat a half dozen times.

The brisket used to be the cheap cut as well as skirt steak.
Now days the price of those cuts have gone crazy!
The best way to make cheap cuts better is slow cooking them.
And yeah they have the best flavor if you're willing to take the time.
I still dont understand people's infatuation with Filet Mignon yeah it's tender and all but I'd take a Picanha steak over it every time.

I make a sort of tamale pie that I can take out an reheat a half dozen times.

I could see that.
But then I also have an aversion to cassorols since my mother made them constantly when I was a kid.
My Wife fucks with me all the time by saying she's going to make a casserole of some type or another.
Her latest is a tater tot casserole. I tell her to go ahead with it but she gets to eat all the leftovers.
She also has a weird affection with sliders. I always tell Her why the fuck would you want to spend the time making a bunch of minituar hamburgers when you could make one and be done with it?

The brisket used to be the cheap cut as well as skirt steak.
Now days the price of those cuts have gone crazy!
The best way to make cheap cuts better is slow cooking them.
And yeah they have the best flavor if you're willing to take the time.
I still dont understand people's infatuation with Filet Mignon yeah it's tender and all but I'd take a Picanha steak over it every time.
Yes... and that drives me crazy. Flat iron/skirt steak makes great steak fajitas. But now they cost as much as a porterhouse or a strip!
WTF??
And I agree on the filet, it is tender and has good flavor, but is small and too pricey for what it is.
Porterhouse is my favorite.

I could see that.
But then I also have an aversion to cassorols since my mother made them constantly when I was a kid.
My Wife fucks with me all the time by saying she's going to make a casserole of some type or another.
Her latest is a tater tot casserole. I tell her to go ahead with it but she gets to eat all the leftovers.
She also has a weird affection with sliders. I always tell Her why the fuck would you want to spend the time making a bunch of minituar hamburgers when you could make one and be done with it?
Your wife has to be from the Midwest! Tater Tot casserole! :laughing0301:

Yes... and that drives me crazy. Flat iron/skirt steak makes great steak fajitas. But now they cost as much as a porterhouse or a strip!
WTF??
And I agree on the filet, it is tender and has good flavor, but is small and too pricey for what it is.
Porterhouse is my favorite.

The filet is bland compared to most cuts.
The only thing it has going for it is it's tender.
The Wife and I ordered a couple of Wagyu filet thinking the fat lines would give it more flavor.
What a disappointment. They didnt taste any better than a prime filet and they were $150 bucks a piece.

The filet is bland compared to most cuts.
The only thing it has going for it is it's tender.
The Wife and I ordered a couple of Wagyu filet thinking the fat lines would give it more flavor.
What a disappointment. They didnt taste any better than a prime filet and they were $150 bucks a piece.
I get my filet for about $5.50/lb. Of course, I have to buy a half a cow to get that price -- same price as every other cut.

Forum List

Back