Austrian Dackel Memorial Stew

Tunafish

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2023
Here is a family recipe that goes back generation to Austria After a long day of ratting and a warrior was lost in battle, this tried and true recipe will revive the spirits.
Typically served with a slice of Austrian bread. Pairs nicely with boxed wine or seasonal fruit rum pot. October it is pears. Check out Harry &David's Royal Riviera Pears. The best
I know Arlette will fancy this one.

3-5 pounds of protein*
3 tablespoons flour
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion chopped
6 cups beef broth
½ cup red wine optional
1 pound potatoes peeled and cubed
4 carrots cut into 1 inch pieces
4 stalks celery cut into 1 inch pieces
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon dried rosemary or 1 sprig fresh

2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
¾ cup peas

* miniature, well aged, free range, hand fed. Preference given to those that prefer to nestle against mothers bosom (snick snick)

Combine flour, garlic powder and salt & pepper. Toss protein in flour mixture.
Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven or pot. Cook the protein and onions until browned.
Add beef broth and red wine while scraping up any brown bits in the pan.
Stir in all remaining ingredients except for peas, cornstarch and water.
Reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer 1 hour or until protein is tender (up to 90 minutes).
Till protein falls off the bone.
Mix equal parts cornstarch and water to create a slurry. Slowly add the slurry to the boiling stew to reach desired consistency (you may not need all of the slurry).
Stir in peas and simmer 5-10 minutes before serving . Season with salt & pepper to taste.

Remove rib bones. Do not anyone to choke on it. (snick snick)

Last edited:
Here is a family recipe that goes back generation to Austria After a long day of ratting and a warrior was lost in battle, this tried and true recipe will revive the spirits.
Typically served with a slice of Austrian bread. Pairs nicely with boxed wine or seasonal fruit rum pot. October it is pears. Check out Harry &David's Royal Riviera Pears. The best
I know Arlette will fancy this one.

3-5 pounds of protein*
3 tablespoons flour
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion chopped
6 cups beef broth
½ cup red wine optional
1 pound potatoes peeled and cubed
4 carrots cut into 1 inch pieces
4 stalks celery cut into 1 inch pieces
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon dried rosemary or 1 sprig fresh

2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
¾ cup peas

* miniature, well aged, free range, hand fed. Preference given to those that prefer to nestle against mothers bosom (snick snick)

Combine flour, garlic powder and salt & pepper. Toss protein in flour mixture.
Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven or pot. Cook the protein and onions until browned.
Add beef broth and red wine while scraping up any brown bits in the pan.
Stir in all remaining ingredients except for peas, cornstarch and water.
Reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer 1 hour or until protein is tender (up to 90 minutes).
Till protein falls off the bone.
Mix equal parts cornstarch and water to create a slurry. Slowly add the slurry to the boiling stew to reach desired consistency (you may not need all of the slurry).
Stir in peas and simmer 5-10 minutes before serving . Season with salt & pepper to taste.

Remove rib bones. Do not anyone to choke on it. (snick snick)
Haven't had a good stew in a while.
Looks like a good recipe.

Looks good like a good beef stew...

The thread has had its name changed, since it was first posted. A word removed from the original title, I had to Google, to learn that it is another name for the breed of dog that is most commonly known as a dachshund.

This is what the “protein” in that stew was supposed to be.

1696113400479.png

• Banned
The thread has had its name changed, since it was first posted. A word removed from the original title, I had to Google, to learn that it is another name for the breed of dog that is most commonly known as a dachshund.

This is what the “protein” in that stew was supposed to be.

View attachment 836485
no it was a misinterpretation
I had to translate from Austrian to English

This dish is form Austria. After a ratter dog was lost in a hunting incident, the family would make this to remember the Dackel.
Arlette is familiar with this breed in her mind. :smoochEE:

Title updated:

Austrian Dackel Memorial Stew​

Last edited:
no it was a misinterpretation
I had to translate from Austrian to English

This dish is form Austria. After a ratter dog was lost in a hunting incident, the family would make this to remember the Dackel.
Arlette is familiar with this breed in her mind. :smoochEE:

Title updated:

Austrian Dackel Memorial Stew​

Thanks for the tribute thread

Gullible fools .
It is a recipe for Gullibles who do not read thoroughly .
Read more carefully about this Beef Stew made from a little dog to provide the protein .
Also a big favourite right now in Gaza .

I made another batch for my neighbor the same day they lost their Saint Bernard.
WOW ! they loved it

Forum List

Back