Something I've Wondered About Lately

candycorn

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2009
Deep State Plant.
I am not a huge TikTok fan but when I do scroll on my phone, I will find myself doing it for 30 minutes at a time. It seems that every third video on there has one goal...to sell you something and the people who I thought were just showing recipes (what I use TikTok for mostly) are, it seems, paid by the companies to use products in their videos--"Dan-O's" seasoning allegedly pays people to use their stuff on TikTok. I mean, after nine months of being on TikTok it dawned on me that the people telling me about the new Amazon kitchen products were not doing it because they loved the product--they get a piece of the action if you click on the link in their bio and buy off of their list. Again--some of my friends call me "Odie" for this reason--I'm sure most of you knew that already but it was a epiphany for me. There are all sorts of things on TikTok that advertise side hustles. User testing of websites...expediting products from a warehouse to a customer...giving online reviews....etc...

Keeping that in mind...Are people on this board making money by trying to steer traffic to websites like the Gateway Pundit and Russia Today or Daily KOs or HuffPost or any of those kookie clearly amateurish websites? I really don't buy that the same people can be so constantly and consistently duped by these sites to link to stories that never are proven to be truthful without some sort of monetary inducement.

I'm not sure what is wrong with a social media channel having a sponsor.

Users pay no fee for content so sponsored content is a very good way to improve the production value of content providers.

I'm not sure what is wrong with a social media channel having a sponsor.

Users pay no fee for content so sponsored content is a very good way to improve the production value of content providers.

Yeah, I don't see a problem with it either. I didn't mean to imply what I did.
What I was stating (not clearly it seems) was that when someone comes on TIKTOK and said:

"Here is a kitchen gadget that is on Amazon that I bet you didn't know about" then they go on to demonstrate it....I didn't know that the person presenting the video got paid if you bought that item following the link to the product (on Amazon) that is in their bio. When you just read the script above like I did, the advert is sort of overt (pardon the pun).

What isn't overt is when someone comes on TIKTOK and says, "Today I'm making ribs in the air fryer--here is how I do it. I take yada yada yada and use Dan-O's seasoning; 10 minutes at 300 degrees etc...." I didn't know that Dan-O's was paying them to do this since the way it looks is that they are just organically using Dan-O's.

I was wondering if all of the "outrage" posting from the left and the right using these crazy assed websites that have only a tenuous hold on reality are paying people to post those links here. Like Doc7505 every night will post some malarkey that is straight out of a comic book only Marvel is more trustworthy. I'm not here to debate the pros and cons of the posts...what I'm wondering is whether he is paid to do that (not him specifically--I was just using him as an example since ever other post on TIKTOK is about these side hustles using the Internet).

"Here is a kitchen gadget that is on Amazon that I bet you didn't know about" then they go on to demonstrate it....I didn't know that the person presenting the video got paid

You've never seen an infomercial?

Most people can spot them in the first 10 to 15 milliseconds.

Yeah, I don't see a problem with it either. I didn't mean to imply what I did.
What I was stating (not clearly it seems) was that when someone comes on TIKTOK and said:

"Here is a kitchen gadget that is on Amazon that I bet you didn't know about" then they go on to demonstrate it....I didn't know that the person presenting the video got paid if you bought that item following the link to the product (on Amazon) that is in their bio. When you just read the script above like I did, the advert is sort of overt (pardon the pun).

What isn't overt is when someone comes on TIKTOK and says, "Today I'm making ribs in the air fryer--here is how I do it. I take yada yada yada and use Dan-O's seasoning; 10 minutes at 300 degrees etc...." I didn't know that Dan-O's was paying them to do this since the way it looks is that they are just organically using Dan-O's.

I was wondering if all of the "outrage" posting from the left and the right using these crazy assed websites that have only a tenuous hold on reality are paying people to post those links here. Like Doc7505 every night will post some malarkey that is straight out of a comic book only Marvel is more trustworthy. I'm not here to debate the pros and cons of the posts...what I'm wondering is whether he is paid to do that (not him specifically--I was just using him as an example since ever other post on TIKTOK is about these side hustles using the Internet).
I was watching a video the other day and this girl was explaining how much money they were getting paid to do advertising per hits, she said it took so much of her time a day to keep up on the emails she had to hire a manager

You've never seen an infomercial?

Most people can spot them in the first 10 to 15 milliseconds.

I think (maybe) the 15 second nature of it caught me off guard. And I doubt the infomercial just mentions the name of a product in passing.

I am not a huge TikTok fan but when I do scroll on my phone, I will find myself doing it for 30 minutes at a time. It seems that every third video on there has one goal...to sell you something and the people who I thought were just showing recipes (what I use TikTok for mostly) are, it seems, paid by the companies to use products in their videos--"Dan-O's" seasoning allegedly pays people to use their stuff on TikTok. I mean, after nine months of being on TikTok it dawned on me that the people telling me about the new Amazon kitchen products were not doing it because they loved the product--they get a piece of the action if you click on the link in their bio and buy off of their list. Again--some of my friends call me "Odie" for this reason--I'm sure most of you knew that already but it was a epiphany for me. There are all sorts of things on TikTok that advertise side hustles. User testing of websites...expediting products from a warehouse to a customer...giving online reviews....etc...

Keeping that in mind...Are people on this board making money by trying to steer traffic to websites like the Gateway Pundit and Russia Today or Daily KOs or HuffPost or any of those kookie clearly amateurish websites? I really don't buy that the same people can be so constantly and consistently duped by these sites to link to stories that never are proven to be truthful without some sort of monetary inducement.

With social media is it companies going to people and asking them to endorse, or social media people who already using a product going to a company to see if they would sponsor them?

99% of those people were just regular people that were chosen. Some of them just happened to be using a product and the post went viral. I have seen a few of them show up as advertisements.

There are a lot of people that want people to pay tips for their content. A few more want you to commit to paying a few dollars a month for their content.

Right now they are pushing 7 second videos to jack with our dopamine. We're about to see how that will be sold.

I'm there for the dopamine. No lie.

With social media is it companies going to people and asking them to endorse, or social media people who already using a product going to a company to see if they would sponsor them?

I do not know. I do know that if Bob Vila were on TikTok and Craftsman gave him a hammer to endorse, that would move me to buy the hammer more than [email protected] using the same hammer though. This is why it surprised me to find out Dan-O's was paying [email protected] to use Dan-O's in their videos--I have no idea what their credentials are.

But in the world of these news sites and their revenue being tied to internet traffic...I was wondering if there was some sort of micro-economy to where some schlub here was getting paid to promote Huffpost or Gateway Pundit.

I do not know. I do know that if Bob Vila were on TikTok and Craftsman gave him a hammer to endorse, that would move me to buy the hammer more than [email protected] using the same hammer though. This is why it surprised me to find out Dan-O's was paying [email protected] to use Dan-O's in their videos--I have no idea what their credentials are.

But in the world of these news sites and their revenue being tied to internet traffic...I was wondering if there was some sort of micro-economy to where some schlub here was getting paid to promote Huffpost or Gateway Pundit.

You could probably tell if that's all they link to.

99% of those people were just regular people that were chosen. Some of them just happened to be using a product and the post went viral. I have seen a few of them show up as advertisements.

There are a lot of people that want people to pay tips for their content. A few more want you to commit to paying a few dollars a month for their content.

Right now they are pushing 7 second videos to jack with our dopamine. We're about to see how that will be sold.

I'm there for the dopamine. No lie.
Actually?

Candy has a much better lay of the land than you would imagine. Soon? TikTok is planning to go, mano a mano with Amazon. You will one day not only be able to see folks that are doing TikTok videos pushing products, but be able to order them straight from that platform. . . the plans, apparently, are already in the works.

I mean, after nine months of being on TikTok it dawned on me that the people telling me about the new Amazon kitchen products were not doing it because they loved the product--they get a piece of the action if you click on the link in their bio and buy off of their list.

Very perceptive.

Actually?

Candy has a much better lay of the land than you would imagine. Soon? TikTok is planning to go, mano a mano with Amazon. You will one day not only be able to see folks that are doing TikTok videos pushing products, but be able to order them straight from that platform. . . the plans, apparently, are already in the works.

Very perceptive.

I can do that now with what they are selling...we are already there.

But, thanks for playing.

I would be very, very surprised if there are folks that use media sources as a way to push patronage of those media sources. . .

It is very difficult to get folks to use media as it is.

OTH? I suppose it is possible. Most folks that see pay-walled sources, just ignore that crap, and then when other folks post sketchy sites that are supported by ADS? Most folks use ad-blockers.

So? That leads us to the question, how on Earth would any media site be able to afford to compensate any person that is posting such OP's, as a way to get folks to click on said links. . . b/c we know, most folks, first, don't, and if they do? Chances are, have an Ad blocker.

To top that all off. . . your characterization of different media sources tell us more about your world view and your biases, than it does about any of the sources we see on this site.

The most unbiased sources are those that are reader supported. Any source that can make, and continue to produced content, with no advertising from businesses, corporate sponsors, government funding, or foundational support? Is generallly, IMO, going to be the most trustworthy.

Actually?

Very perceptive.

And when you read the reviews on Amazon you will discover that 99% of those products are a piece of garbage.

Forum List

Back