Been on my mind for several years to make a healthier Lasagna...

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
This will be a long post, so if you don't care to read about what I did and just want to look at recipe...I have marked it below.

Lasagna, it is meal for special occasions.
. Glorious, delicious, melt in your mouth creaminess... and explosively high in calories and saturated fat.
I never concerned myself with how bad it is for you, since I only made it once or twice a year.
And I insisted to make Lasagna in the old world way... a bolegnese base with bechamel sauce. There is no substitution. Yes I like "lasagna" made with Ricotta cheese and bottled spaghetti sauce, I might even eat seconds. But it doesn't come close to the real thing.
My original recipe with a ground round/ground pork/bacon bolegnese and traditional milk/butter/flour bechamel looks like this...
Keeping in mind this is NOT a large serving, most people probably eat 2 servings... you can click to enlarge.

tradlasagna.jpg

For several years I wanted to make a version less fattening, no intention of making it "healthy" lasagna is never going to be healthy. But maybe not so over the top. But how can I mimic the creaminess of bechamel when cooked?
But then I had it. I made a gumbo 3 or 4 years ago that was really good, instead of the time honored roux I made a sauce with cauliflower steamed and liquified. I'll be damned if it didn't work! So why not use a "bechamel" using the same method?
So I did it and not only did it work, I couldn't tell the difference. At all.
Then I sat out to change the bolgenese. I wanted to replace the beef/pork/bacon with chicken. Knowing I couldn't just use ground chicken. So I used 1 lb. ground chicken and 4 Italian chicken sausage links mixed in. In the original meat sauce I add zero spices, which is how it is traditionally made. It doesn't need it. But, I knew it needed some extra flavor since I am also removing bacon. So I added into the sauce 6-7 fresh basil leaves and some Italian seasoning.
It tasted great, different - but very good.
And here is the breakdown of the healthier version:

ChickLas.jpg

Yes! - I knocked the calories and fat down by a 1/3. I can have lasagna more than once or twice a year!!

This will take about 3 hours to make. Yes, you can make a bottle lasagna in an hour, and it taste pretty good... but it won't be great. And it won't impress anyone.

RECIPE

Lower calorie Lasagna

Bechamel” sauce:

1 Cauliflower head – breakdown into med. sized pieces and steam in a double broiler for about 20 minutes. Object is to be very soft. When finished, take a blender and a little bit of milk and liquefy. Not much milk, looking for a consistency of applesauce. When blended, add a pinch of salt/pepper/nutmeg and ½ teaspoon of yellow mustard. Mix well.

Bolognese:

1 lb. Ground chicken
4 links mild Italian chicken sausage (add both together in a bowl and mix well)
1 can tomato sauce
3/4 can tomato paste
1 onion chopped
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp Italian seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste

Lasagna Noodles 1 box. (I have made my own noodles, but damn it is messy and takes a long time)
Parmesan cheese
1 package mozzarella cheese

Pan fry the onions until well clear and browning on edges. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute stirring several times. Remove and set aside.

Add in half the chicken mixture, and brown. Don’t worry if fully cooked, that will come later. Break up well with spatula as it cooks. Remove and repeat with other half of chicken.

Once that is browned, add the rest of the chicken and onions. Add the tomato sauce (SAVE CAN) and the tomato paste. Stir well. Take the tomato can and add in enough water to fill about ¾ of the can. Stir well so you essentially have tomato water. Add that in. Add the salt/pepper and Italian seasoning.

Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer.

Cook for at least 30 minutes covered, stirring every few minutes to prevent the tomato mixture from hardening/caking on bottom.

Meanwhile prepare the lasagna noodles in boiling salted water, and cook according to package instructions minus 2 minutes. Do not want the noodles to be fully cooked. Remove from water and spread out on a baking sheet to prevent sticking together.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Layer the ingredients like so:

1st layer spread a little bit of the meat mixture on the bottom, not a lot just enough to skim coat the bottom.

Add 3 lasagna noodles

Take a large spoon and add some of the bechamel sauce, just enough to coat the noodles.

Sprinkle desired amount of Parmesan cheese.

Sprinkle desired amount of Mozzarella, not a lot.

Repeat until out of meat mixture, you should have enough for 4-5 layers.

Top layer should be the remainder of the mozzarella cheese.

Put in the oven and cook for 25 minutes, cheese should be well melted but not browned. I don’t like the cheese to be browned. If you do, cook for an additional 10 minutes. But I advise not to, browned mozzarella will bitter and become hard if over cooked.

Let sit for 5 minutes to cool.

Enjoy!

When I buy a recipe book, I go through all the recipes and mark out the onions. Why do so many recipes have onions in them?

Heck you can have Michael Angelo’s meat lasagna, which is really good, for even less calories than your modified one and not have to fix it yourself-
6738AF79-FF7D-4075-8EE5-49BA916CB169.png

This will be a long post, so if you don't care to read about what I did and just want to look at recipe...I have marked it below.

. Glorious, delicious, melt in your mouth creaminess... and explosively high in calories and saturated fat.
I never concerned myself with how bad it is for you, since I only made it once or twice a year.
And I insisted to make Lasagna in the old world way... a bolegnese base with bechamel sauce. There is no substitution. Yes I like "lasagna" made with Ricotta cheese and bottled spaghetti sauce, I might even eat seconds. But it doesn't come close to the real thing.
My original recipe with a ground round/ground pork/bacon bolegnese and traditional milk/butter/flour bechamel looks like this...
Keeping in mind this is NOT a large serving, most people probably eat 2 servings... you can click to enlarge.

View attachment 304492

For several years I wanted to make a version less fattening, no intention of making it "healthy" lasagna is never going to be healthy. But maybe not so over the top. But how can I mimic the creaminess of bechamel when cooked?
But then I had it. I made a gumbo 3 or 4 years ago that was really good, instead of the time honored roux I made a sauce with cauliflower steamed and liquified. I'll be damned if it didn't work! So why not use a "bechamel" using the same method?
Then I sat out to change the bolgenese. I wanted to replace the beef/pork/bacon with chicken. Knowing I couldn't just use ground chicken. So I used 1 lb. ground chicken and 4 Italian chicken sausage links mixed in. In the original meat sauce I add zero spices, which is how it is traditionally made. It doesn't need it. But, I knew it needed some extra flavor since I am also removing bacon. So I added into the sauce 6-7 fresh basil leaves and some Italian seasoning.

View attachment 304499

Yes! - I knocked the calories and fat down by a 1/3. I can have lasagna more than once or twice a year!!

This will take about 3 hours to make. Yes, you can make a bottle lasagna in an hour, and it taste pretty good... but it won't be great. And it won't impress anyone.

RECIPE

Lower calorie Lasagna

Bechamel” sauce:
1 Cauliflower head – breakdown into med. sized pieces and steam in a double broiler for about 20 minutes. Object is to be very soft. When finished, take a blender and a little bit of milk and liquefy. Not much milk, looking for a consistency of applesauce. When blended, add a pinch of salt/pepper/nutmeg and ½ teaspoon of yellow mustard. Mix well.

Bolognese:

1 lb. Ground chicken
1 can tomato sauce
3/4 can tomato paste
1 onion chopped
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp Italian seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste

Lasagna Noodles 1 box. (I have made my own noodles, but damn it is messy and takes a long time)
Parmesan cheese

Pan fry the onions until well clear and browning on edges. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute stirring several times. Remove and set aside.

Add in half the chicken mixture, and brown. Don’t worry if fully cooked, that will come later. Break up well with spatula as it cooks. Remove and repeat with other half of chicken.

Once that is browned, add the rest of the chicken and onions. Add the tomato sauce (SAVE CAN) and the tomato paste. Stir well. Take the tomato can and add in enough water to fill about ¾ of the can. Stir well so you essentially have tomato water. Add that in. Add the salt/pepper and Italian seasoning.

Cook for at least 30 minutes covered, stirring every few minutes to prevent the tomato mixture from hardening/caking on bottom.

Meanwhile prepare the lasagna noodles in boiling salted water, and cook according to package instructions minus 2 minutes. Do not want the noodles to be fully cooked. Remove from water and spread out on a baking sheet to prevent sticking together.

1st layer spread a little bit of the meat mixture on the bottom, not a lot just enough to skim coat the bottom.

Add 3 lasagna noodles

Take a large spoon and add some of the bechamel sauce, just enough to coat the noodles.

Put in the oven and cook for 25 minutes, cheese should be well melted but not browned. I don’t like the cheese to be browned. If you do, cook for an additional 10 minutes. But I advise not to, browned mozzarella will bitter and become hard if over cooked.

Enjoy!

/——/ I couldn’t read through your whole post, but my wife is a great Italian cook. And her healthy lasagna uses eggplant sliced longways instead of meat, also low fat ricotta. It’s great.

View attachment 304492

View attachment 304499

RECIPE

Lower calorie Lasagna

Bechamel” sauce:

Bolognese:

1 lb. Ground chicken
1 can tomato sauce
3/4 can tomato paste
1 onion chopped
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp Italian seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste

Parmesan cheese

Add 3 lasagna noodles

Enjoy!

I'm munching on a stick of pepperoni right now.......... On Ritz.........

View attachment 304492

View attachment 304499

RECIPE

Lower calorie Lasagna

Bechamel” sauce:

Bolognese:

1 lb. Ground chicken
1 can tomato sauce
3/4 can tomato paste
1 onion chopped
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp Italian seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste

Parmesan cheese

Add 3 lasagna noodles

Enjoy!

/——/ Instead of a Ritz try it with a slice of hard Italian cheese, and water crackers are better since their bland taste doesn’t compete with the pepperoni, and buy good quality imported Italian pepperoni not the crap sold by Oscar Meyer. It’s the New York way.

When I buy a recipe book, I go through all the recipes and mark out the onions. Why do so many recipes have onions in them?
Onions are basically the foundation of many recipes.
Onions have two primary "jobs"... one they enhance flavor, like MSG sort of, but without the problems of MSG. When cooked, they add sweetness and therefore combat acidity found in other vegetables you are cooking with. And number two, they absorb and hang onto any flavoring you use. By doing that, they spread the flavors throughout the dish.
Just sayin

Heck you can have Michael Angelo’s meat lasagna, which is really good, for even less calories than your modified one and not have to fix it yourself-
View attachment 304507

Haha!!...
Look!!.... I can make my own chili!!... and it is just as good... no really!...why are you laughing?

View attachment 304513
If you're gonna get a can of chili at least get Wolf brand...........

iu

Well the can says authentic - so it must be!! :D

View attachment 304492

View attachment 304499

RECIPE

Lower calorie Lasagna

Bechamel” sauce:

Bolognese:

1 lb. Ground chicken
1 can tomato sauce
3/4 can tomato paste
1 onion chopped
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp Italian seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste

Parmesan cheese

Add 3 lasagna noodles

Enjoy!

/——/ Instead of a Ritz try it with a slice of hard Italian cheese, and water crackers are better since their bland taste doesn’t compete with the pepperoni, and buy good quality imported Italian pepperoni not the crap sold by Oscar Meyer. It’s the New York way.
I don't buy anything Oscar Meyer and we don't keep a lot of crackers on hand, don't eat them that often. Yeah, imported pepperoni is best just like all imported sausages and since it's typically a once or twice a year thing for me spending a little more on quality sausage is worth it. As for hard cheese, not really a big fan.

View attachment 304507

Haha!!...
Look!!.... I can make my own chili!!... and it is just as good... no really!...why are you laughing?

View attachment 304513

iu
/—-/ If you own a slow cooker, make your own without all the sodium. Better ingredients too.

One of my favorite recipes to make and a sure crowd pleasure:

BA's Best Eggplant Parmesan Recipe

It’s on the lighter side and a few tweaks can be to shave a few calories. Good luck!
I make a pretty mean Eggplant Parm myself... but alas... the Bonz abhors the texture of eggplant... literally gags her. So I haven't made it in almost 5 years now.

That’s a shame. Be sure and give her my best. Haven’t seen her in a while. Cheers.

View attachment 304507

Haha!!...

View attachment 304513

iu
/—-/ If you own a slow cooker, make your own without all the sodium. Better ingredients too.
Chili? Of course. The problem is I'm the only one who eats it, the wife won't touch the stuff so I make it about once a year, divide it up and freeze the portions, they keep for about six months in the freezer.

View attachment 304507

Haha!!...

View attachment 304513

iu

Just sayin, somewhere on this forum is my Chicken Chili recipe that won the city cook off, in a city that is known for food.

barn.jpg

Forum List

Back