Trump's Wall -- It won't be and it won't go coast to coast and it won't be beautiful

Just to clue you in, most conservatives do not expect a 40ft concrete wall that is over 2000 miles long. What we do except is that border security will be taken seriously and current law will be enforced.

Okay. As goes The Wall, I'm less concerned about what anyone expects and more concerned about what that man articulated as what it is he wanted to do. Rather than saying something that makes some damn sense, something like what you wrote, which makes sense and is reasonable, Trump went down the "rabbit hole" of "we're gonna build a wall; it's gonna be 'all this, that and the other....'"

People, most especially politicians, that spout off with absurd, grandiose, and on the face of it ridiculous ideas and then don't back them up with serious data and reasoning just don't give me any way to trust them. I can't back someone who'll say "anything" just to advance a personal objective. I have to know whether I can take someone at their word.

It was fine when Trump got on his rants initially, but he never got to the place where he attenuated that foolishness he shouted at rally after rally; he never converted into something rational/sane like what you wrote. A year and a half is enough time for him to have done that. Put another way, a year and a half is enough time for him to turn into a grown up so the rest of us who are can tell for sure that he is too.

I'll give him his due when I find he deserves it, but in the main, I don't trust that I can rely on him to make well informed and well considered decisions and be honest. That ship's sailed, and it's never coming back for me.

We know neither would have happened under the globalist Clinton agenda

Y'all do. I don't. The thing is I don't think immigration is our highest priority problem. They pay into Soc. Security and we desperately need that if that system is to be kept solvent past 2035. That or a massive breeding phenomenon or significant FICA tax increases. I don't know about you, but I don't think most folks want to have 3+ kids and I know they don't want to pay more in FICA (or alternatively have benefit payouts lowered and retirement ages increased)

I do have some concerns regarding your assumptions used to reach your results.

Okay. Which ones and what are your concerns?

LOL ---- you liberals crack me up!!!

You, specifically, bore me. I can't recall ever, in the time I've been here, seeing you have a single substantive thing to say in response any post that makes an effort to address a matter from a mature and objective standpoint.

JBond seems like someone with whom I can agree or disagree and he'll say something adult-like. You, on the other hand, respond like a child. I have no interest in that or you. So, have a good life.

Obviously intellectually overmatched.

Your post is infantile. To take a man's words out of context, apply a coat of unreality, and then douse it with sheer stupidity before flaming it, is, simply, silly.

Just to clue you in, most conservatives do not expect a 40ft concrete wall that is over 2000 miles long. What we do except is that border security will be taken seriously and current law will be enforced.

Okay. As goes The Wall, I'm less concerned about what anyone expects and more concerned about what that man articulated as what it is he wanted to do. Rather than saying something that makes some damn sense, something like what you wrote, which makes sense and is reasonable, Trump went down the "rabbit hole" of "we're gonna build a wall; it's gonna be 'all this, that and the other....'"

People, most especially politicians, that spout off with absurd, grandiose, and on the face of it ridiculous ideas and then don't back them up with serious data and reasoning just don't give me any way to trust them. I can't back someone who'll say "anything" just to advance a personal objective. I have to know whether I can take someone at their word.

It was fine when Trump got on his rants initially, but he never got to the place where he attenuated that foolishness he shouted at rally after rally; he never converted into something rational/sane like what you wrote. A year and a half is enough time for him to have done that. Put another way, a year and a half is enough time for him to turn into a grown up so the rest of us who are can tell for sure that he is too.

I'll give him his due when I find he deserves it, but in the main, I don't trust that I can rely on him to make well informed and well considered decisions and be honest. That ship's sailed, and it's never coming back for me.

We know neither would have happened under the globalist Clinton agenda

Y'all do. I don't. The thing is I don't think immigration is our highest priority problem. They pay into Soc. Security and we desperately need that if that system is to be kept solvent past 2035. That or a massive breeding phenomenon or significant FICA tax increases. I don't know about you, but I don't think most folks want to have 3+ kids and I know they don't want to pay more in FICA (or alternatively have benefit payouts lowered and retirement ages increased)

I do have some concerns regarding your assumptions used to reach your results.

Okay. Which ones and what are your concerns?

LOL ---- you liberals crack me up!!!

You, specifically, bore me. I can't recall ever, in the time I've been here, seeing you have a single substantive thing to say in response any post that makes an effort to address a matter from a mature and objective standpoint.

JBond seems like someone with whom I can agree or disagree and he'll say something adult-like. You, on the other hand, respond like a child. I have no interest in that or you. So, have a good life.

Obama said I was going to save $2,500 on my health insurance...I'm still waiting. I'm beginning to suspect he lied :eusa_think:

That's not exactly what he promised -- and didn't deliver. What he said was:
"I will sign a universal health care bill into law by the end of my first term as president that will cover every American and cut the cost of a typical family's premium by up to $2,500 a year."​
I definitely would put that promise into the category of "things a candidate needs to convert into something sensible or back it up with some serious facts that show the viability of the promise."

Even on his signature campaign promise -- buiding "2000-mile big beautiful wall", the prettiest one you've ever seen -- it's unlikely that is going to happen. DHS Secretary John Kelly has already begun, in testimony before Congress, referring to it as a "barrier," presumably as the first part of the "spin" campaign to alterTrumpkins' expectations of the government building a wall on the southern border.
Now I don't care what the heck he builds on the border. For me the question is whether there is a positive and material cost-benefit case for building anything more, and supplementing it with more personnel, mechanized surveillance, and support personnel, administration and infrastructure. I have yet to see any such cost-benefit analysis. Is there any that's credible?

What I do care about, what I cared about during the election season, is that the stupidity of building a wall was not foreseen by Trump or Trumpkins PRIOR to his making the proposal. Literally tens of thousands of people all over the country hollered, "Build that wall." At the same time, experts all over said that's a ridiculous idea, and neither Trump nor his sycophantic Trumpkins would listen to them.

Now, the Trump Admin., and border physical-security experts have to, among other things, (1) undertake the process of convincing Trump that a fence is better and (2) "spinning" a fence, something that wastes resources and that really wouldn't have to happen had Trump in the first place actually been knowledgeable about border security and immigration, before he started on about a damned wall.

Were he just a little bit knowledgable, what might he have used as a mantra? Something as simple as "good fences make good neighbors," or something similar that at least aligns with what makes some damn sense to actually build on the border, would have done just fine. Of course, Trump was more focused on his greatness and his conviction that he knows more than everyone else and that he's infallible. In his mind, it should be a wall.

What concerns me is that during the campaign it was profoundly obvious that of nearly everything that man spoke about, he didn't at all know the subject well, and he wouldn't listen to people who did. Neither would the Trumpkins. Quite simply, knowing what you're talking about before you start talking about it is not a liberal or conservative "thing." It's just a behavior broadly intelligent people exhibit, and it's a trait Trump rarely exhibits. If that means they can't talk about something until they do know it well, well, then it just does, and they just don't.

(I write "rarely" only to allow for the off chance that he may have spoken about something on which he's highly knowledgeable.)

Yeah, well, we knew this when he said it, and we know it now. But others are living in la la land.

Well, as I just wrote to another member....The man had a year and a half to convert his position into something responsible and thoughtful, but he never did. He stuck with his "eighth grader's" approach to handling illegal immigration. He stuck with childish approaches and behaviors all over the place really. That more than anything is what set me against him; there's no way I'll vote for someone who deliberately presents themselves as a post-adolescent 70 year-old.

I remember last summer I went sailing with some friends. We'd just finished a hard day's sail and found an quiet cove off the Bay and dropped anchor. After we ate, the conversation turned to the election. At the time I was very unsure about for whom I'd vote and not liking the choices anyway.

Two of the guys on the boat started talking Trump. Both of them had considered bidding to work on the Old Post office renovation. The thing that really stuck with me was that both of them had different contacts outside of D.C. who'd each worked with Trump on a project. Both of them said they decided not to bid the job because of their associates advising them not to. They said he slow-pays and/or invents reasons for dissatisfaction and then tries to renegotiate the deal or sues. That was when I knew for a fact that I would not vote for Trump.

In the early fall, I was playing tennis with one of the same friends, and another guy whom I didn't know quite as well was part of our quartet. After the game, we went to lunch and the "new guy" had a similar story. I just can't back someone whom I believe lacks honor. And the thing is that those guys are normally dyed in the wool Republicans...the old school type...think Bush, Buckley, Bush I, Eisenhower, Will, Bundy and the like.

Sorry if I don't believe your BS .... it's anecdotal, at best, and made up, at worst. in fact ... the word 'irrelevant' comes to mind.

Forum List

Back