Trump wants to call it "Space Force" -- is that really the coolest name we could call it?

Blackrook

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2014
I mean, this is a big decision because whatever we call it, those are the guys who are going to have cool laser battles in space with aliens from Alpha Centauri, or whoever we discover that needs liberating from their land and resources.

I mean, because they will always be the "aliens" even if we land on their planet and decide to plant our flag there and build mines and shit.

I'm trying to start a conversation about outer space imperialism, but maybe that's not the most pressing issue right now.

Star Trek does a whitewash on the whole topic. The people of Earth are justified in taking over every planet they find because they have high ideals and good motives to share democracy with the universe.

Appropriate that our space cadet president would want a space force. The orange fool should start listening to legitimate advisers instead of the crazies he gravitates to.

Fortunately, our military is sane. They told him he could call it anything he wants, but it will be part of the Air Force, and they will just continue developing their space flight programs just as they have been doing. Nothing new will happen other than a name to make Trump happy.

Fortunately, our military is sane. They told him he could call it anything he wants, but it will be part of the Air Force, and they will just continue developing their space flight programs just as they have been doing. Nothing new will happen other than a name to make Trump happy.
So the people who really run our country told Trump he couldn't have what he wants, even though he was elected and they were not. And that pleases you.

So the people who really run our country told Trump he couldn't have what he wants, even though he was elected and they were not. And that pleases you.

I'm glad there are sane people he can't bully and force into his crazy schemes. Trump is president. He's not king. His whims are not law.

I'm glad there are sane people he can't bully and force into his crazy schemes. Trump is president. He's not king. His whims are not law.
Actually he is Commander-in-Chief of the military and all those bureaucrats in the Pentagon are bound by oath to obey his orders.

Actually he is Commander-in-Chief of the military and all those bureaucrats in the Pentagon are bound by oath to obey his orders.
They are bound by oath and the law. They don't follow illegal orders from the CIC.

They are bound by oath and the law. They don't follow illegal orders from the CIC.
So creating a Space Force is against the law? How do you figure that?

I'm trying to start a conversation about outer space imperialism, but maybe that's not the most pressing issue right now.

Star Trek does a whitewash on the whole topic. The people of Earth are justified in taking over every planet they find because they have high ideals and good motives to share democracy with the universe.
You must not watch much Star Trek or read much of the ST books. It is nothing like you just described.

You must not watch much Star Trek or read much of the ST books. It is nothing like you just described.
I've watched quite a lot of Star Trek and the whole thing is a glorification of American meddling in other countries' business.

So creating a Space Force is against the law? How do you figure that?
You went off topic about your space force OP, you tell me.

I mean, this is a big decision because whatever we call it, those are the guys who are going to have cool laser battles in space with aliens from Alpha Centauri, or whoever we discover that needs liberating from their land and resources.

It can only work with a really good theme song.

I've watched quite a lot of Star Trek and the whole thing is a glorification of American meddling in other countries' business.
But it was Kirk! He advanced inter species sexual relations hundreds of years.

The Space Force may seem silly to a lot of people, but we don't want Russia or China to gain a military advantage in space. Much of our trillions of $$$ for advance military gadgets will be useless if our satellites are taken out.

Last edited:

But.....but....but.....The Prime Directive!

Forum List

Back