Tribe to change name

Polishprince

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2016

How about Atlanta as well?

Or San Francisco for objectifying people with the disability of giantism?

Why should any of these teams change names? What's "racist" about naming a team after the indians or the braves? I would have thought that more of a credit. I wish a team would name themselves after me, I'd be honored. What next, Crayola to remove their BLACK crayon?

I bet half the cities in America are derived from indian names. Maybe we better change them too, like the Allegheny and Monongahela rivers?

1593871671667.png

Why should any of these teams change names? What's "racist" about naming a team after the indians or the braves? I would have thought that more of a credit. I wish a team would name themselves after me, I'd be honored. What next, Crayola to remove their BLACK crayon?

I bet half the cities in America are derived from indian names. Maybe we better change them too, like the Allegheny and Monongahela rivers?

RACISM IN AMERICA. Here is a list of all the racist places in Pennsylvania. Atlanta Braves? Washington Redskins? I'll be petitioning the states to change them all!

• Allegheny—probably from Lenape welhik hane[124][125] or oolik hanna, which means 'best flowing river of the hills' or 'beautiful stream'.[126] Originally the name of the Allegheny River, later used to name the Allegheny Mountains too. David Zeisberger published a divergent view in 1780, giving the original form of the name as "Alligewinenk, which means 'a land into which they came from distant parts'."[127]
  • AliquippaLenape alukwepi 'hat';[128] after Queen Aliquippa, who was named that because she wore a large hat.[129]
  • Analomink—From "tumbling water."[130]
  • Catawissa—Lenape, 'growing fat;' a reference to a Delaware Chief in the area, Lapachpeton.[131]
  • Conemaugh—Lenape kwənəmuxkw 'otter'.[132][133]
  • Conshohocken—Lenape kanshihakink 'in elegant land': kanshi 'elegant' + haki 'land' + -nk locative suffix.[134][135]
  • Juniata River—from onoyutta, 'standing stone' in an Iroquoian language, probably Susquehannock. The Juniata Tribe lived by the river's banks and set up a tall standing stone with inscriptions in the center of their sacred meeting ground at the confluence of the Juniata River and Standing Stone Creek (in present-day Huntingdon). Compare Conneaut, Oneida.
  • Kingsessing—The name Kingsessing or Chinsessing comes from the Delaware word for "a place where there is a meadow".
  • Kiskiminetas—derived from Lenape kishku manitu 'make daylight' (kishku 'day'[136] + manitu 'make'[137] ), a command to warriors to break camp and go on maneuvers while it is still night (as though it were daylight), according to John Heckewelder.[138]
  • Kittanning—Lenape kithanink 'on the main river': kit 'great, large, big' + hane 'swift river from the mountains' + -ink locative suffix,[139] "the big river" or "the main river" being an epithet for the Allegheny-cum-Ohio, according to John Heckewelder.[140]
  • Lackawanna—Lenape laxaohane 'fork of a river'[141][142]
  • Loyalhanna—after the name of a Lenape town, Layalhanning, meaning 'at the middle of the river': layel or lawel 'middle' + hane 'river' + -ink locative suffix.[143]
  • Loyalsock—Lenape, 'middle creek.' (It is located halfway between lycoming and muncy creeks.)[131]
  • Lycoming—from Lenape lekawink 'place of sand' or lekawi hane 'sandy stream', from lekaw 'sand'.[144]
  • Manayunk—Lenape məneyunk 'place of drinking': məne 'drink' + yu 'here' + -nk locative suffix.[145]
  • Mauch Chunk—Lenape maxkw-chunk 'bear mountain'.[146]
  • Mehoopany—Lenape, 'where there are wild potatoes."[131]
  • Meshoppen Lenape, 'corals,' or 'beads.'[131]
  • Monongahela—Lenape Mənaonkihəla 'the high riverbanks are washed down; the banks cave in or erode',[147] inanimate plural of mənaonkihəle 'the dirt caves off (such as the bank of a river or creek; or in a landslide)'[148] < mənaonke 'it has a loose bank (where one might fall in)'[149] + -həle (verb of motion).
  • Muckinipattis—Lenape for 'deep running water', from mexitkwek 'a deep place full of water'[150] or mexakwixen 'high water, freshet'.[151]
  • Muncy–after the Munsee people < Munsee language mənsiw, 'person from Minisink' (minisink meaning 'at the island': mənəs 'island' + -ink locative suffix) + -iw attributive suffix.[152]
  • Nanticoke—From the Nanticoke language, 'Tide water people.' (In reference to themselves)[131]
  • Nemacolin—after the 18th-century Lenape chief Nemacolin.
  • NescopeckShawnee, 'deep and still water.' [131]
  • Nittany—'single mountain', from Lenape nekwti 'single'[153] + ahtəne 'mountain'.[154]
  • Ohiopyle—from the Lenape phrase ahi opihəle, 'it turns very white',[155][156] referring to the frothy waterfalls.[157]
  • Passyunk—from Lenape pahsayunk 'in the valley',[158] from pahsaek 'valley' (also the name of Passaic, New Jersey).
  • Pennypack–Lenape pənəpekw 'where the water flows downward'.[159]
  • Perkiomen—Lenape, 'where there are cranberries.'[131]
  • Poconos—Lenape pokawaxne 'a creek between two hills'.[160]
  • Punxsutawney—Lenape Punkwsutenay 'town of sandflies or mosquitoes': punkwəs 'sandfly' (<punkw 'dust' + -əs diminutive suffix) + utenay 'town'.[161]
  • Pymatuning—Lenape Pimhatunink 'where there are facilities for sweating'[100] < pim- 'to sweat in a sweat lodge'[162] + hatu 'it is placed'[163] + -n(e) inanimate object marker + -ink locative suffix.
  • Queonemysing—Lenape kwənamesink 'place of long fish': kwəni 'long' + names 'fish' + -ink locative suffix.[164]
  • Quittapahilla Creek—Lenape kuwe ktəpehəle 'it flows out through the pines':[165] kuwe 'pine tree'[166] + ktəpehəle 'it flows out'.[167]
  • Shackamaxon—Lenape sakimaksink 'place of the chiefs':[168] sakima 'chief'[169] + -k plural suffix + -s- (for euphony) -ink locative suffix
  • Shamokin—Lenape Shahəmokink[170] 'place of eels', from shoxamekw 'eel'[171] + -ink locative suffix.
  • Shickshinny—Lenape, 'a fine stream.' [131]
  • Sinnemahoning—Lenape ahsəni mahonink 'stony lick', from ahsən 'stone'[172] and mahonink 'at the salt lick'.[173]
  • Susquehanna—Lenape siskuwihane 'muddy river': sisku 'mud' + -wi- (for euphony) + hane 'swift river from the mountains'.[174]
  • Tamaqua—Lenape, 'little beaver;' named for a Delaware chief, "King Beaver."[131]
  • TiadaghtonSeneca, 'pine creek.'[131]
  • Tinicum—Lenape mahtanikunk 'Where they catch up with each other'.[175]
  • Tulpehocken—Lenape tulpehakink 'in the land of turtles': tulpe 'turtle' + haki 'land' + -nk locative suffix.[176]
  • TiogaOnondaga, 'At the forks.'[131]
  • Tionesta—Munsee, 'There it has fine banks.'[131]
  • Towamensing—Lenape, 'pasture land,' (literally 'the place of feeding cattle.') [131]
  • Towanda—Nanticoke, 'where we bury the dead.'[131]
  • Tunkhannock—Lenape tank hane 'narrow stream',[177] from tank 'small' + hane 'stream'.
  • Venango—From Lenape 'Onange,' meaning 'a mink.'[131]
  • Wapwallopen—Lenape òphalahpink, 'where the white wild hemp grows,'[131] from òp- 'white'[178] + halahpis 'Indian hemp'[179] + -nk locative.
  • Wiconisco—Lenape wikin niskew 'A muddy place to live',[180] from wikin 'to live in a place'[181] + niskew 'to be dirty, muddy'.[182]
  • Wissahickon—contraction of Lenape wisamekwhikan 'catfish creek': wisamekw 'catfish'[183] (literally 'fat fish':[184] <wisam 'fat' + -èkw, bound form of namès 'fish'[185] ) + hikan 'ebb tide, mouth of a creek'.[186][187]
  • Wyalusing—Lenape, 'the place where the aged man dwells,' a reference to the Moravian missionaries who set up a village in the area.[131]
  • Wyoming Valley—Munsee, xwēwamənk 'at the big river flat': xw- 'big' + ēwam 'river flat' + ənk locative suffix.[188]
  • Wysox—Lenape, 'the place of grapes.'[131]
  • Youghiogheny—Lenape yuxwiakhane 'stream running a contrary or crooked course', according to John Heckewelder.[189]

What about ??’
KC Chiefs ??’
Chicago white sox
Cleveland Browns
Cowboys
NY giants

Redskins and Indians are done
Many more to follow
How about the KC chefs ??
Cleveland non-Indians

If the Washington Redskins football team has a racist and derogatory name, how about the Minnesota Vikings?

They're fucking Swedes. Is that racist against white people to call them Vikings?

I don't see or hear of too many Native Americans playing pro football, but I could be wrong.

What about ??’
KC Chiefs ??’
Chicago white sox
Cleveland Browns
Cowboys
NY giants

The Browns were named after GM Paul Brown who was obviously a racist.

There's no "national movement"....It's the same tiny yet very vocal band of whiny little bitches that come around every few years.

Fuck those assholes.

Cleveland Browns to change name to Detroit Lions
Detroit lions to change name to Cleveland browns
???

Does this exclude naming any team Water Buffaloes? They're animals for gosh sakes!

Atlanta Braves? Shall we remove all references to the Tomahawk Chop?

How will journalists refer to these teams in the future?

"The Washington Beltway Bandits (formerly called the 'Redskins')..."

Atlanta Braves? Shall we remove all references to the Tomahawk Chop?

How will journalists refer to these teams in the future?

"The Washington Beltway Bandits (formerly called the 'Redskins')..."

Why not have an animal nickname, like the Carolina, Chicago or Detroit?

How about the Washington Orangutans?

Forum List

Back