Transportation Chief: Distracted Driving a 'Menace'

Whenever I see an idiot on the road driving, 9 times out of 10 they either are texting, eating, or most of the time on the phone. People as a whole can't usually pay attention to a conversation and drive at the same time.

I support a ban on talking on the phone/texting while driving.

I can't even stand someone yakking on a cell phone in line at the supermarket. It's distracting, annoying, and simply appears to others that the person is trying to impress everyone.

I have to wonder sometimes why there is such an obsession for constant communication with other people, but not in person.
I was at a funeral where someone with one of those hang on your ear type phones actually took a call while standing next to the casket! I don't own a cell phone due to the terrible lack of manners cell phone users display.

I met an old friend in New York for a weekend last summer. We sat and dined al fresco at a nice little restaurant in the Village. Half way through the entree, she got a cell phone call. I sat there as if I should have been seated at the next table. She carried on a conversation with her fork paused in mid-air while I sat there like a lump. Discourtesy is the worst part of cell phone usage right after the distracted driving.

Whenever I see an idiot on the road driving, 9 times out of 10 they either are texting, eating, or most of the time on the phone. People as a whole can't usually pay attention to a conversation and drive at the same time.

Then, would support a ban on people talking to passengers in their car?

No takers for this question?

Another R.E.T - Revenue enhancement technique.

Next they will outlaw conversing with passengers and listening to talk radio.

Let's not forget about eating while driving.

We could just change the drivers test. How about if when you take your drivers test you have to have 3 other passengers in the car with you and talk on the phone during the test.

Of course if this had been implemented during the Bush administration, there'd be no problem with it.

It has nothing to do with who the president is, states control the traffic laws.

U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood called distracted driving a "menace to society" Wednesday, kicking off a two-day meeting on preventing drivers from using mobile devices behind the wheel.

The Obama administration reported that nearly 6,000 people in the U.S. were killed and a half-million injured last year in vehicle crashes connected to driver distraction, including drivers talking on cell phones and texting.

"To put it plainly, distracted driving is a menace to society," LaHood told more than 300 participants at the government's 'distracted driving summit.' "Distracted driving is an epidemic and it seems to be getting worse every year."

The Transportation Department brought together experts to take a hard look at the highway hazards caused by drivers talking on cell phones or texting from behind the wheel. LaHood said he would offer recommendations Thursday that could lead to new restrictions on using the devices while driving.

Congress is watching closely. Sen. Charles Schumer and other Democrats introduced legislation in July that would require states to ban texting or e-mailing while operating a moving vehicle or lose 25 percent of their annual federal highway funding. The Obama administration has not taken a position on the bill.

Prior to the meeting, LaHood said the administration would "work with Congress" to develop ways of curbing distracted driving. Ultimately, LaHood said, he wanted the meeting to set "the stage for finding ways to eliminate texting while driving."

Previous efforts to reduce drunken driving and encourage motorists to wear seat belts taught the government a "valuable lesson," LaHood said. "We need a combination of strong laws, tough enforcement and ongoing public education to make a difference."

Transportation officials said in a research report that 5,870 people were killed and 515,000 were injured last year in crashes where at least one form of driver distraction was reported.Driver distraction was involved in 16 percent of all fatal crashes in 2008.

LaHood said on any given day last year, more than 800,000 vehicles were driven by someone using a hand-held cell phone during the day.

The panel of government officials, safety advocates, researchers and lawmakers discussed ways of developing a consensus on the roadway hazards. Speakers showed images of pulverized sport utility vehicles and sawed off commercial buses that had been driven by people using mobile devices before the crash.

Others noted the problem was not limited to cars and cited a commuter train engineer in California, who texted a friend and failed to stop at a red signal. Twenty-five people were killed in the September 2008 passenger rail crash.

Transportation Chief: Distracted Driving a 'Menace' - Political News - FOXNews.com

If they passed a "no cell phone usage of any kind while driving" law, I'd be fine with it. Would you?

Lets take a look at some of those numbers.
800,000 vehicles a day driven by somebody using a cellphone is equal to (365 days X 800,000 occurences) 292,000,000 (292 million) occurances.
5,870 people were killed by "distracted drivers" (notice that it doesn't blame all distraction on cell phones).
Lets assume that all 5,870 deaths were due to cell phones just for a moment, even though we know that isn't true.
That means 0.002% of fatalities. That's 2 out 1 million. Remember, we assumed that every "distracted" fatality was attributable to cell phone distraction (which we know isn't true). I'd say my odds of getting killed by an asshole driving while on a cell phone are pretty minimal.

U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood called distracted driving a "menace to society" Wednesday, kicking off a two-day meeting on preventing drivers from using mobile devices behind the wheel.

The Obama administration reported that nearly 6,000 people in the U.S. were killed and a half-million injured last year in vehicle crashes connected to driver distraction, including drivers talking on cell phones and texting.

"To put it plainly, distracted driving is a menace to society," LaHood told more than 300 participants at the government's 'distracted driving summit.' "Distracted driving is an epidemic and it seems to be getting worse every year."

The Transportation Department brought together experts to take a hard look at the highway hazards caused by drivers talking on cell phones or texting from behind the wheel. LaHood said he would offer recommendations Thursday that could lead to new restrictions on using the devices while driving.

Congress is watching closely. Sen. Charles Schumer and other Democrats introduced legislation in July that would require states to ban texting or e-mailing while operating a moving vehicle or lose 25 percent of their annual federal highway funding. The Obama administration has not taken a position on the bill.

Prior to the meeting, LaHood said the administration would "work with Congress" to develop ways of curbing distracted driving. Ultimately, LaHood said, he wanted the meeting to set "the stage for finding ways to eliminate texting while driving."

Previous efforts to reduce drunken driving and encourage motorists to wear seat belts taught the government a "valuable lesson," LaHood said. "We need a combination of strong laws, tough enforcement and ongoing public education to make a difference."

Transportation officials said in a research report that 5,870 people were killed and 515,000 were injured last year in crashes where at least one form of driver distraction was reported. Driver distraction was involved in 16 percent of all fatal crashes in 2008.

LaHood said on any given day last year, more than 800,000 vehicles were driven by someone using a hand-held cell phone during the day.

The panel of government officials, safety advocates, researchers and lawmakers discussed ways of developing a consensus on the roadway hazards. Speakers showed images of pulverized sport utility vehicles and sawed off commercial buses that had been driven by people using mobile devices before the crash.

Others noted the problem was not limited to cars and cited a commuter train engineer in California, who texted a friend and failed to stop at a red signal. Twenty-five people were killed in the September 2008 passenger rail crash.

Transportation Chief: Distracted Driving a 'Menace' - Political News - FOXNews.com

If they passed a "no cell phone usage of any kind while driving" law, I'd be fine with it. Would you?

Absolutely!

Perhaps you should explain to my wife she should not take up deep and personal conversations while I am negotiating rush hour traffic. In fact, Missouri, I would pay you to have that discussion with her. When I am in another state.

But the article also refers to talking on the phoneand I'm saying "What is the difference between talking on the phone and talking to someone sitting next to you in the seat, or listening to someone talk on the radio and processing that information?"

Depends. If they're using a hands-free device, that's one thing. Holding a phone though?

Perhaps you should explain to my wife she should not take up deep and personal conversations while I am negotiating rush hour traffic. In fact, Missouri, I would pay you to have that discussion with her. When I am in another state.

Sorry pardner, I'd help ya out if I could, but unfortunately I was born with a very strong survival instinct. :D

Transportation officials said in a research report that 5,870 people were killed and 515,000 were injured last year in crashes where at least one form of driver distraction was reported.Driver distraction was involved in 16 percent of all fatal crashes in 2008.

Lets take a look at some of those numbers.
800,000 vehicles a day driven by somebody using a cellphone is equal to (365 days X 800,000 occurences) 292,000,000 (292 million) occurances.
5,870 people were killed by "distracted drivers" (notice that it doesn't blame all distraction on cell phones).
Lets assume that all 5,870 deaths were due to cell phones just for a moment, even though we know that isn't true.
That means 0.002% of fatalities. That's 2 out 1 million. Remember, we assumed that every "distracted" fatality was attributable to cell phone distraction (which we know isn't true). I'd say my odds of getting killed by an asshole driving while on a cell phone are pretty minimal.

Figures right from the NHTSA? Its a good law, there are too many accidents, if one of those dead is a freind or family member your attitude would be much different.

Why would they? It is apples and kumquats.

What exactly do we need the federal government passing a statute regulating what we can or cant do while driving? That's a state issue. And its a clear money grabbing technique. There is no other reason for it because no one believes that texting while driving is safe. There is no point to outlaw it except to collect revenues.

Is this going to stop a single person from getting hurt? No. Then why do it?

If they do anything besides drive while driving they should lose all driving privileges for the rest of their lives.

Missourian brings up a good point. If talking on a cell phone is distracting, is talking to someone in your car just as distracting? I don't drive and use the cell phone so I can't really answer this. But I have talked or listened to someone else talking while I was driving. Was I distracted? Yes, to a degree . . . although for the most part I mostly tune out whoever is talking and mostly I wish they'd shut up so I could enjoy driving. If I were talking to someone on the phone while driving it'd be harder to ignore them because just by being on the phone their comments would require some sort of response from me.

I don't think 'hands-free' offers any substantial benefits. It's the 'brain' part that is a distraction rather than driving with one hand.

I have, once or twice, talked to someone on the cell while in a store and I have to say someone could have come up and beaten me senseless and I never would have seen them coming. My brain and my body were in two different places.

Does talking on the phone, rather than conversing in person, make your brain work differently, more distractedly?

Here's an interesting article/study on the brain and distracted driving:

Using cell phones while driving has been a matter of controversy for some time, but this is the first study to look at listening alone as a distraction.

Just and colleagues found that listening alone reduced brain activity associated with driving by 37 per cent. Based on driving simulator results, this would be enough to cause a driver to weave out of their lane, said the researchers.

"Drivers need to keep not only their hands on the wheel; they also have to keep their brains on the road," said Just in a prepared statement.

Just and colleagues invited 29 volunteers to to use a driving simulator while inside an MRI brain scanner. The simulator gave them a winding road to drive on at a fixed but challenging speed. There were two conditions: undisturbed or while listening. While listening, the volunteers listened to statements and had to decide whether they were true or false, a similar level of cognitive processing as would be involved in a normal listening activity.

The researchers used the latest functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) technology to measure second by second changes in brain activity in 20,000 places, each being about the size of a peppercorn, they said.

Compared to the undisturbed scenario, the listening while driving scenario showed a 37 per cent decrease in activity in the brain's parietal lobe, the part of the brain that is associated with driving and processes sensory inputs that are important for navigation and spatial awareness. The occipital lobe, which processes visual signals, also showed reduced activity, said the researchers.

Using measures of performance on the simulator, the researchers observed that the driving while listening scenarios resulted in much poorer quality of driving. When in listening while driving mode the volunteers made more errors in lane discipline, such as deviating from the middle and hitting a guardrail.

The study suggests that hands free and voice activated cell phones do not go far enough to ease safety concerns because the distraction of listening would still remain.

The researchers said that other distractions such as listening to the radio, eating or talking to a passenger can also divert a driver, and although there is no evidence of how these distractions compare to listening to a cell phone, they suggest cell phones are different because, as Just explained:

"Talking on a cell phone has a special social demand, such that not attending to the cell conversation can be interpreted as rude, insulting behavior."

A passenger, on the other hand, because he or she is physically in the car with the driver, can see if anything urgently needs the driver's attention and will stop talking, it is a situation that is less likely to put social pressure on the driver.

Listening To Cell Phones Impairs Driving, Study

Last edited:
What exactly do we need the federal government passing a statute regulating what we can or cant do while driving? That's a state issue. And its a clear money grabbing technique. There is no other reason for it because no one believes that texting while driving is safe. There is no point to outlaw it except to collect revenues.

Everyone knows that it's a lot safer to wear a seat belt while driving, and yet if people were not fined for it, a lot more would drive around without wearing one.

Same thing with seat belts?

I must be about the last adult left in this country that hasn't bothered to acquire a cell phone. Damn things are a nuissance.

Forum List

Back