Liberal Democrats -- Honor and Morality -- The United States Supreme Court

Procrustes Stretched

"live long & prosper" reply "peace and long life"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
Maybe it's quaint to some that I look back at a time when liberal Democrats on the Court lived by their ideals, morality, and honor. Those values lived and possessed by liberal Democrats on the United States Supreme Court are sorely missed and desperately needed today.

An earlier generation of Supreme Court justices seemed to possess the capacity for shame.

In 1969, Justice Abe Fortas resigned his seat for accepting a $20,000 consulting fee (which he returned) from a foundation led by a man who was convicted of securities fraud.

Whatever Justice Fortas believed about his own honor and morality, he understood that the Supreme Court is an inherently fragile institution, and that its nine justices cannot afford the slightest whiff of bias or corruption. As the Times editorial board wrote then, “a judge not only has to be innocent of any wrongdoing but he also has to be above reproach.” Placing the court’s and the country’s interests above his own, Justice Fortas stepped down.

That sort of humility is nowhere in evidence on today’s court, which is finding new ways to embarrass itself...Justices Samuel Alito and Clarence Thomas, who are making a mockery of their obligation to at least appear neutral and independent. They fail to report large gifts, luxury vacations and payments to their family members...They are saying, in effect, that they don’t care if any of this bothers you.

Recent revelations are a heartbreaking realization for those of us who have long defended the Court from partisan attacks coming from all sides of the political and ideological spectrum(s). I've defended CJ Roberts, Justice Thomas and others with whom I have ideological and judicial differences. Being a fan of the work of Jeffery Rosen for so many years, I learned to have enormous respect for the Court as an institution. Few things could have damaged the Court's reputation in my mind, as the recent exposure of the attitudes and behaviors of some of the current Justices.

The latest in a long list of examples became public last week, when The Times reported that an upside-down American flag flew over the front lawn of the Alito family home in the immediate aftermath of the Jan. 6 insurrection incited by then-President Donald Trump. The flag, a clear pro-Trump statement widely flown by those who believed the 2020 election was stolen, apparently stayed up for days, even as the court was weighing whether to hear a case challenging the outcome of the election. (The court voted not to hear the case. Justice Alito, like Mr. Trump, was on the losing side.)

In a statement to The Times, Justice Alito placed the blame for the hoisting of the flag on his wife, Martha-Ann Alito

what a cad!

Like when a leftist POS says that the first amendment keeps the government from censoring citizens?
Leftists should NOT be on the SC. They are the antithesis to our constitution. They also prefer to rely on emotion and personal conviction, rather than the constitution.

Like when a leftist POS says that the first amendment keeps the government from censoring citizens?
Leftists should NOT be on the SC. They are the antithesis to our constitution. They also prefer to rely on emotion and personal conviction, rather than the constitution.
Please be more specific. You speaking of Scalia and flag burning?

Imagine a supreme court justice, that should only consider the constitution, thinking its the fed govs job to protect people from words. Like seriously?
As I said, antithesis.

Imagine a supreme court justice, that should only consider the constitution, thinking its the fed govs job to protect people from words. Like seriously?
As I said, antithesis.
Imagine living in the real world where we use principles to guide us all through life - to serve us, and not where we are to serve principles at the expense often complex realities.

So, yes, you believe the govt should control speech.
You pinkos are regressive dipshits.
Nope.

I wrote: "Control? That's what Trump sometimes advocates when he is exposed as a grifter and worse. Do you believe there exist no constitutional restrictions on speech? Hmm..."

One more disingenuous post by you, and of course you avoid answering a simple, relevant question.

Nope.

I wrote: "Control? That's what Trump sometimes advocates when he is exposed as a grifter and worse. Do you believe there exist no constitutional restrictions on speech? Hmm..."

One more disingenuous post by you, and of course you avoid answering a simple, relevant question.
Then why couldnt you just answer the question? Why did you have to deflect to your orange obsession?

How hard is it to have a decent, normal conversation? Why must hacks always deflect? Why post on a forum when you are afraid of discussion?

How hard is it to have a decent, normal conversation? Why must hacks always deflect? Why post on a forum when you are afraid of discussion?
Oh the irony! The irony!

air ship.jpg

Forum List

Back