Train carrying 40,000 barrels crashes.. pipeline anyone???

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011
Several people reported missing after train carrying crude oil derails in Quebec sparking explosions
Some of the train's 73 cars exploded and the fire spread to a number of homes in the town of 6,000 people.
Read more: Several people reported missing after train carrying crude oil derails in Quebec sparking explosions | Fox News

Tragedy for sure!
So let's make some comparisons...
How many barrels traveled in one mile?

Exxon Valdez carried nearly 1,264,155 barrels in one tanker in one mile.
This train carried about 40,000 barrels in 73 cars in one mile.
Keystone pipeline will carry over 1,179 miles 830,000 barrels in 24 hours or in one mile: 703 barrels of oil.

HMMM... which will have the greatest amount of damage done over a greater expanse of ocean or land and has the greatest risk
of running into bad weather, drunken captains, or other causes of potential damage ???

GEEZ... I wonder which one???

The article did not include the number of cars ruptured...just "some"....so it wasn't 40,000bbls.

Several people reported missing after train carrying crude oil derails in Quebec sparking explosions
Some of the train's 73 cars exploded and the fire spread to a number of homes in the town of 6,000 people.
Read more: Several people reported missing after train carrying crude oil derails in Quebec sparking explosions | Fox News

Tragedy for sure!

Keystone pipeline will carry over 1,179 miles 830,000 barrels in 24 hours or in one mile: 703 barrels of oil.

HMMM... which will have the greatest amount of damage done over a greater expanse of ocean or land and has the greatest risk
of running into bad weather, drunken captains, or other causes of potential damage ???

The pipeline

A rupture in a remote area could leak 830,000 barrels in 24 hrs

The article did not include the number of cars ruptured...just "some"....so it wasn't 40,000bbls.

OH I agree!!!! But the potential was there! 40,000 barrels traveling one mile!
THAT's the point!
1 million barrels traveling one mile by ship! GET IT???

VERSUS 700 barrels traveling ONE MILE BY KEYSTONE PIPELINE!!!

THAT IS THE POINT!@$%$$$%%%%!

Tragedy for sure!

The pipeline

"REMOTE"???????
there are 16,000 monitors on THE KEYSToNE pipeline!
THE FACT is there are traveling people constantly monitoring the pipes!

Exxon's Silvertip pipeline, which carries 40,000 barrels per day of crude in Montana, leaked about 1,500 barrels of oil into the river in July 2011 after heavy flooding in the area.

In 1989, the Exxon Valdez supertanker struck a reef in Prince William Sound off Alaska and spilled 250,000 barrels of crude oil.

UPDATE 3-Exxon pipeline leaks thousands of barrels of Canadian oil in Arkansas | Reuters

FIGURE THIS OUT the above pipeline in Montana leaked 1,500 barrels of 40,000!!!

Tragedy for sure!

The pipeline

I guess that's why they'll need to install pressure monitors and automatic cut off valves, chicken little.

Because as we all know, safeguards and such can't ever fail. Trains, Pipelines, fish- it doesn't matter, this shit can happen. A pipeline can pop a hole just as much as a train can pop the tracks, find me a failure proof system and I'll happily give you a million dollars.

Tragedy for sure!

The pipeline won't run under the ocean.

The pipeline

NOT a chance in hell.....a break of any magnitude would trigger an alarm and the flow would be halted within minutes. Save your bullshit for a lib crowd...we know the safety features the Keystone XL will have.

Because as we all know, safeguards and such can't ever fail. Trains, Pipelines, fish- it doesn't matter, this shit can happen. A pipeline can pop a hole just as much as a train can pop the tracks, find me a failure proof system and I'll happily give you a million dollars.

Correct, there are no "failure" proof systems.

Yet you use many of them every day, without paying, "a million dollars."

The only danger the Keystone XL will face is sabotage by leftist cocksuckers like ELF....who I would allow to be shot on sight for it.

I'm...really not sure how to respond to anything you two just said, because it doesn't really make sense. So I'll just say that it's silly to say because a train carrying oil crashed we absolutely have to use a pipeline- as if a Pipeline can;t fail and spill shit all over the landscape. Safeguards on the train failed, safeguards on the pipeline can fail.

This is anecdotal at best.

AND I don't disagree! Pipelines can burst BUT AGAIN!
700 barrels travel in one mile of pipe!
40,000 barrels travel by train in one mile!
1 million barrels travel by tanker on the OCEAN in one mile!

THINK dummies!
Which has the GREATEST damage and the GREATEST chances of an accident!
Greatest damage duh... is 1 million barrels traveling one mile!
Next is the train traveling ONE mile with 40,000 barrels.

DUH!!!! Pipeline...700 barrels traveling ONE MILE!

DO YOU comprehend this simple observation?>??

Then which is better 700 barrels traveling one mile or 1 million barrels traveling 1 mile in a TANKER???

Why is that so hard to understand???

I'm...really not sure how to respond to anything you two just said, because it doesn't really make sense. So I'll just say that it's silly to say because a train carrying oil crashed we absolutely have to use a pipeline- as if a Pipeline can;t fail and spill shit all over the landscape. Safeguards on the train failed, safeguards on the pipeline can fail.

This is anecdotal at best.

AND WHICH will cause the most damage dumb f...k?
one mile traveled by a tanker carrying 1 million barrels, OR
a train traveling one mile carrying 40,000 barrels...
OR DUH!!!! ONE MILE of pipeline carrying 700 barrels????

DO YOU idiots understand??? This the point of why the keystone should be built
just on environmental reasons ALONE!
Canada will ship 1 million barrels a day!
DO YOU want that to go by tanker carrying 1 million barrels traveling one mile
on the open ocean? Of course not any 3rd grader will say:
GEEZ 1 million barrels on the open ocean traveling one mile is a lot more
then 40,000 barrels traveling one mile in a train... AND definitely
more then 700 barrels traveling in a pipeline one mile!

Is this that complicated???

I followed your first link.. DID YOU???

"The IEA found the risk of a rail spill is six times as high as the risk of a pipeline spill, but pipelines simply spill more when they rupture.
The agency looked at eight years of data from the U.S. Department of Transportation, from 2004 to 2012,
The study backs up research from the American Association of Railroads, released last month,
which found that rail transport spills 0.38 gallons of oil per million barrels moved, compared to 0.88 gallons for pipelines."
But cost could prove to be an obstacle. The cost of moving a barrel of oilsands bitumen by pipeline is estimated at around $10, compared to around $15 to $18 for rail, with some estimates as high as $30 a barrel to ship oil by rail.
Pipeline Spills Release Three Times As Much Oil As Rail Spills: IEA

AGAIN the devil is in the details... something EXAGGERATORS, hystericals like you seem to overlook!!
8 year study... shows OH MY GoD!!!
less then 1/2 gallon per million barrels moved by train and OH NO... almost 1 gallon per million barrels by pipeline!
So how many thousands of barrels of oil is that? Will in a typical year a Train moves:

Total Crude Carloads 2002-2012
TOTAL Crude Carloads = 400,441 carloads
TOTAL Crude Gallons = 11,212,348,000 gallons (appx. 28K gal. per carload)
TOTAL Crude Barrels = 266,960,667 barrels (appx.)
https://www.aar.org/safety/Documents/Just the Facts on Hazmat and Crude Oil Safety.pdf

So that is an average over 10 years of 26.6 million barrels.
So if using the average of .38 gallons per 1 million barrels in a year the amount of oil spilled by trains is: 424 barrels per year!

Pipeline transportation
Interstate pipelines deliver over 11.3 billion barrels of petroleum each year.
AOPL*| Why Pipelines?

So if there are 11.3 BILLION barrels per year and pipelines average .88 Gallons per million barrels oil spilled by pipeline: 9,944 barrels!
WOW... That is nearly 23 times as much spilled by pipelines then trains...
OK how about tankers???

Approximately 5.7 million tonnes of oil were lost as a result of tanker incidents from 1970 to 2011.
http://www.itopf.com/information-services/publications/documents/STATSPACK2011.pdf
5,700,000 tons of oil spilled over 41 years...
5,700,000 tons is equal to 11.4 billion pounds of oil
one barrel contains 42 gallons or at 16 oz per pound 168 pounds of oil
11.4 billion pounds spilled over 41 years is 67.857 million barrels of oil spilled OR
1,655,052 barrels spilled per year by oil tanker!

WOW.. that's nearly 166 TIMES what would be spilled by pipelines per year
and 3,900 times spilled by trains!

And YOU STILL want 1 million barrels a day by OIL TANKER being shipped instead of a train or a pipeline????

The pipeline

NOT a chance in hell.....a break of any magnitude would trigger an alarm and the flow would be halted within minutes. Save your bullshit for a lib crowd...we know the safety features the Keystone XL will have.

TransCanada Corp. (TRP), which says Keystone XL will be the safest pipeline ever built, isn’t planning to use infrared sensors or fiber-optic cables to detect spills along the system’s 2,000-mile (3,200-kilometer) path to Texas refineries from fields in Alberta.
Keystone XL Pipe Shuns Infrared Sensors to Detect Leaks - Bloomberg

Forum List

Back