Top Films of The Last 20 Years

Lucy Hamilton

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2015
So with my obsession with old films from the 1920s-mid 1950s, especially Film Noir, many peoples might think that I avoid modern films, well I do not, I do like a certain type of modern film, this is a film that is obviously not going for the mega blockbuster market, but might contain some aspects of a strange type of Cinematic Populism but also has a very strong Independent minded spirit.

The list below are my top films of the last 20 years, films that I think are exceptionally excellent in all criteria of Production, Direction, Screenplay, Narrative and Acting. The list is NOT numbered as I can't say which would probably be my favourite from all of them, in the way I CAN say that my ultimate favourite film EVER in film history is a joint number one as I am not able to say which of the two I worship most and so my favourite film EVER is the joint number one of "Double Indemnity" and "Les Diaboliques"

"Double Indemnity" 1944, Directed by Billy Wilder and starring Barbara Stanwyck, Fred MacMurray and Edward G. Robinson.

"Les Diaboliques" 1955, Directed by Henri-Georges Clouzot and starring Simone Signoret, Vera Clouzot, Paul Meurisse and Charles Vanel.

Anyway in NO specific order the below are my top films of the last 20 years, listed with the year filmed, the Director and the two main Actors in the film:

"Mulholland Drive" 2001, Directed by David Lynch and starring Justin Theroux and Naomi Watts.

"In The Valley of Elah" 2007, Directed by Paul Haggis and starring Tommy Lee Jones and Charlize Theron.

"Midsommar" 2019, Directed by Ari Aster and starring Florence Pugh and Jack Reynor.

"Bloody Sunday" 2002, Directed by Paul Greenglass and starring James Nesbitt and Tim Pigott-Smith.

"The Lives of Others" 2006, Directed by Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck and starring Ulrich Mühe and Martina Gedeck.

"Prometheus" 2012, Directed by Ridley Scott and starring Michael Fassbender and Noomi Rapace.

"The Witch" 2015, Directed by Robert Eggers and starring Anya Taylor-Joy and Ralph Ineson.

"Inland Empire" 2006, Directed by David Lynch and starring Laura Dern and Jeremy Irons.

"Atomic Blonde" 2017, Directed by David Leitch and starring Charlize Theron and James McAvoy.

"The Lighthouse" 2019, Directed by Robert Eggers and starring Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson.

"Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" 2011, Directed by Tomas Alfredson and starring Gary Oldman and Colin Firth.

"The Grand Budapest Hotel" 2014, Directed by Wes Anderson and starring Ralph Fiennes and Willem Dafoe.

"Macbeth" 2015, Directed by Justin Kurzel and starring Michael Fassbender and Marion Cotillard.

"Babel" 2006, Directed by Alejandro González Iñárritu and starring Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett.

• Banned
Not a bad list. I wouldn't include Atomic Blonde.

Re. "Atomic Blonde" well it features James McAvoy and Toby Jones who are both great actors and also I have to admit I really liked the extreme violence in the film, not for it being violent per se but it was spontaneous but looked choreographed in the most artistic way and looked very realistic and also the film features "Blue Monday" by New Order and so I did actually enjoy the film for all these reasons.

Toby Jones is a Wrexham fan. Worlds greatest actor.

1590835529170.png

• Banned
Toby Jones is a Wrexham fan. Worlds greatest actor.

View attachment 342869

The man on the left is John Cleese the man on the right that is not Toby Jones. The actor Toby Jones, he is the son of another great actor Freddie Jones (who among other things was in two films by my adored David Lynch "The Elephant Man" made in 1980 and "Wild At Heart" made in 1990)

Toby Jones:

1590836066373.png

1590836144500.png

His father Freddie Jones in "The Elephant Man"

1590836251615.png

Freddie Jones scene in "Wild At Heart" with Nicolas Cage and Laura Dern:

Haven’t seen any of them

Can’t think of any films in the last 20 years that are.....Must Watch

Lot of Superhero and fantasy films

Better stuff on Netflix and HBO

Last edited:
  • Banned
Haven’t seen any of them

Can’t think of any films in the last 20 years that are.....Must Watch

Lot of Superhero and fantasy films

Better stuff on Netflix and HBO

You should watch the films on my list I think you would appreciate them. There are no Superhero and fantasy films though.

Of what's been released in the last 20 years, my most favorite films are the following.

Toy Story 3 & 4
The Santa Clause 2 & 3
Gone In 60 Seconds
John Q.
The Kid
Where The Heart Is

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire are wonderful movies. Maybe the best David Lynch ever made :)

I agree and agree, I would also say that "Mulholland Drive" is one of the best films ever made, it's up there with films like Billy Wilder's "Double Indemnity" and John Huston's "The Maltese Falcon" and all those incredible Film Noir Classics.

So with my obsession with old films from the 1920s-mid 1950s, especially Film Noir, many peoples might think that I avoid modern films, well I do not, I do like a certain type of modern film, this is a film that is obviously not going for the mega blockbuster market, but might contain some aspects of a strange type of Cinematic Populism but also has a very strong Independent minded spirit.

The list below are my top films of the last 20 years, films that I think are exceptionally excellent in all criteria of Production, Direction, Screenplay, Narrative and Acting. The list is NOT numbered as I can't say which would probably be my favourite from all of them, in the way I CAN say that my ultimate favourite film EVER in film history is a joint number one as I am not able to say which of the two I worship most and so my favourite film EVER is the joint number one of "Double Indemnity" and "Les Diaboliques"

"Double Indemnity" 1944, Directed by Billy Wilder and starring Barbara Stanwyck, Fred MacMurray and Edward G. Robinson.

"Les Diaboliques" 1955, Directed by Henri-Georges Clouzot and starring Simone Signoret, Vera Clouzot, Paul Meurisse and Charles Vanel.

Anyway in NO specific order the below are my top films of the last 20 years, listed with the year filmed, the Director and the two main Actors in the film:

"Mulholland Drive" 2001, Directed by David Lynch and starring Justin Theroux and Naomi Watts.

"In The Valley of Elah" 2007, Directed by Paul Haggis and starring Tommy Lee Jones and Charlize Theron.

"Midsommar" 2019, Directed by Ari Aster and starring Florence Pugh and Jack Reynor.

"Bloody Sunday" 2002, Directed by Paul Greenglass and starring James Nesbitt and Tim Pigott-Smith.

"The Lives of Others" 2006, Directed by Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck and starring Ulrich Mühe and Martina Gedeck.

"Prometheus" 2012, Directed by Ridley Scott and starring Michael Fassbender and Noomi Rapace.

"The Witch" 2015, Directed by Robert Eggers and starring Anya Taylor-Joy and Ralph Ineson.

"Inland Empire" 2006, Directed by David Lynch and starring Laura Dern and Jeremy Irons.

"Atomic Blonde" 2017, Directed by David Leitch and starring Charlize Theron and James McAvoy.

"The Lighthouse" 2019, Directed by Robert Eggers and starring Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson.

"Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" 2011, Directed by Tomas Alfredson and starring Gary Oldman and Colin Firth.

"The Grand Budapest Hotel" 2014, Directed by Wes Anderson and starring Ralph Fiennes and Willem Dafoe.

"Macbeth" 2015, Directed by Justin Kurzel and starring Michael Fassbender and Marion Cotillard.

"Babel" 2006, Directed by Alejandro González Iñárritu and starring Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett.

Okay so I have also been watching when I can some other films from the last 20 years that I had previously for some reason not yet watched and this includes Short Films like the one below.

"Come Swim"(2017) a pretty amazing Writing and Directing Debut from Kristin Stewart - you know the actress Kristin Stewart - very impressed that this Short Film was her complete creation and vision, that she not only Directed it but also Wrote it and the entire thing is completely Independent, which obviously is excellent because I FULLY support Independent Film making. From watching this film I think if she can be encouraged to write and develop more films like "Come Swim" hopefully into full-length features then Kristin Stewart could potentially become a female David Lynch, that's how impressive her Short Film is.

1591715847937.png

The duration of "Come Swim" is 17 minutes and 57 seconds, below is the full film:

Okay so I have also been watching when I can some other films from the last 20 years that I had previously for some reason not yet watched and this includes Short Films like the one below.

"Come Swim"(2017) a pretty amazing Writing and Directing Debut from Kristin Stewart - you know the actress Kristin Stewart - very impressed that this Short Film was her complete creation and vision, that she not only Directed it but also Wrote it and the entire thing is completely Independent, which obviously is excellent because I FULLY support Independent Film making. From watching this film I think if she can be encouraged to write and develop more films like "Come Swim" hopefully into full-length features then Kristin Stewart could potentially become a female David Lynch, that's how impressive her Short Film is.

View attachment 347959

The duration of "Come Swim" is 17 minutes and 57 seconds, below is the full film:

I like this short movie so much! Thanks for sharing! :)
I'm gonna try to download it :biggrin:

^^^^ I have some more films to add, this is going to form the next part of my list, the below is not completed yet but it's a partial Part II of my list of The Top Films of The Last 20 years:

"The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford" 2007, Directed by Andrew Dominik and starring Brad Pitt and Casey Affleck - also a special mention for the soundtrack written by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis.

"Hell Or High Water" 2016, Directed by David MacKenzie and starring Jeff Bridges and Chris Pine - also a special mention for the soundtrack again written by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis.

"No Country For Old Men" 2007, Directed by Joel and Ethan Cohen and starring Tommy Lee Jones and Javier Bardem.

"Personal Shopper" 2016, Directed by Olivier Assayas and starring Kristen Stewart and Lars Eidinger.

"The Emperor of Paris" 2018, Directed by Jean-François Richet and starring Vincent Cassel and Freya Mavor.

"The White Meadows" 2009, Directed by Mohammad Rasoulof and starring Hasan Pourshirazi and Younes Ghazali.

Last edited:

^^^^ I have some more films to add, this is continuing the next part of my list:

"The Master" 2012, Directed by Paul Thomas Anderson and starring Joaquin Phoenix and Philip Seymour Hoffman - this was one of Philip Seymour Hoffman's last films, he was a great actor and what a POINTLESS WASTE to lose him so early, WTF was he thinking to go back to using Heroin at the age of 46 when he had already apparently years ago kicked the habit.

"You Were Never Really Here" 2017, Directed by Lynne Ramsay and starring Joaquin Phoenix (again) and John Doman.

Forum List

Back