Times..Good vs Bad

Lumpy 1

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2009
When I was a kid...I had to walk 3 miles in the snow, in a blizzard, just to get to school.

Well, not quite .. :lol: .. but times have certainly changed, in some ways better but in others it's a shame to see.

Good- as a kid, I could leave in the morning and have adventures all day, no worries.

Bad- I feel insecure allowing my young daughter taking a walk around the block without me there to protect her.

When I was a kid...I had to walk 3 miles in the snow, in a blizzard, just to get to school.

Well, not quite .. :lol: .. but times have certainly changed, in some ways better but in others it's a shame to see.

Good- as a kid, I could leave in the morning and have adventures all day, no worries.

Bad- I feel insecure allowing my young daughter taking a walk around the block without me there to protect her.

I would let any child in my custody play outside only if I were with them. I couldn't be away from them as their safety would always be on my mind. This is a day and age of child predators and they could be living next door to me, if not cruising my neighborhood.

Safety first. I would make sure the child had indoor activities though, that didn't include entertainment coming from a box.

Last edited:
I think the insecurity about letting your kid play outside is overblown.

The Convincing Case for Sending Your Kids Outside to Play Alone | Inhabitots

There are some good links in the article as well.

So don't live in fear and let your kids play outside.

Have you looked at the Megan's Law registry online to see a map of your neighborhood? They're everywhere.

My wife's nephews have been chased in the Chicago area.

There was a 12 year old girl in the news who was killed by a neighbor.

Years ago there was a story in the paper about a woman walking home late at night and a drunk man in a car tried to put the woman in the trunk and she broke her nails on the man but that wasn't enough and the neighbors were scared at getting involved.

Have you looked at the Megan's Law registry online to see a map of your neighborhood? They're everywhere.

Years ago there was a story in the paper about a woman walking home late at night and a drunk man in a car tried to put the woman in the trunk and she broke her nails on the man but that wasn't enough and the neighbors were scared at getting involved.

OK so keep your kids under house arrest and teach them to live in fear.

I'm sure that'll be good for them in the long run.

Bring back Jarts!

Real Jarts.

20tla4i.jpg

Last edited:
And bring back Creepy Crawlers with that hotplate cooker. I still remember the smell of the goop cooking. Dinosaurs, spiders, cockroaches...

Metal Tonka toys. Metal. Let's bring back metal as a general rule. This extruded plastic shit has to go.

Metal cap guns. For God's sake! BRING BACK METAL CAP GUNS!!!

I had a wood and metal Winchester rifle cap gun when I was a kid. Best. Toy. Ever. I slayed a lot of Injuns and black hats in the woods out back of our house with that gun. And Japs. And Nazis.

And no orange tip.

Now the kids get a piece of plastic shit for eight bucks that cracks if you look at it hard.

Last edited:
And bring back Creepy Crawlers with that hotplate cooker. I still remember the smell of the goop cooking. Dinosaurs, spiders, cockroaches...

Metal Tonka toys. Metal. Let's bring back metal as a general rule. This extruded plastic shit has to go.

I had a wood and metal Winchester rifle cap gun when I was a kid. Best. Toy. Ever. I slayed a lot of Injuns and black hats in the woods out back of our house with that gun. And Japs. And Nazis.

And no orange tip.

Now the kids get a piece of plastic shit for eight bucks that cracks if you look at it hard.

Good memories and good times..thanks.

At what age do you think they are safe and that social services won't have a problem with them not being supervised?

At what age do you think they are safe and that social services won't have a problem with them not being supervised?

At what age were you allowed to play outside unsupervised?

And I don't see how social services has anything to do with it.

Free Range Kids

Free Range Kids

Keep Your Child Out of Trouble During the After-School Hours

Keep Your Child Out of Trouble During the After-School Hours - SchoolFamily.com

After-school programs are essential to the safety of our community. Keeping kids off of the streets and engaged in healthy learning activities in the hours after school helps keep them out of trouble, stated Sheriff Livingston, an Executive Committee member of Fight Crime: Invest in Kids California, a national anti-crime organization of police chiefs, sheriffs, district attorneys and violence survivors, with 400 members in California. After-school programs provide positive alternatives to gangs, drugs and violence.

After-School Programs Help Keep Kids Out of Trouble | Fight Crime: Invest in Kids

Did you know:
•Children and teens are more likely to be the victims of crime during the after-school hours than at any other time?

•Children and teens are more likely to participate in violent crimes during the after-school hours than at any other time?

•Children and teens are more likely to engage in risky behaviors such as tobacco, alcohol or drug use or sexual activity during the after-school hours than at any other time?

Is it any wonder that psychologist and law enforcement officers have denoted the hours after school until parents get home the “Witching Hours”?

It's 3PM. Do you know where your children are after school? Why after-school activities are important for adolescents and teens.

And no orange tip.

Tonka trucks and a big pile of dirt. Doesn't get any better than that

Free Range Kids

After-school programs are essential to the safety of our community. Keeping kids off of the streets and engaged in healthy learning activities in the hours after school helps keep them out of trouble, stated Sheriff Livingston, an Executive Committee member of Fight Crime: Invest in Kids California, a national anti-crime organization of police chiefs, sheriffs, district attorneys and violence survivors, with 400 members in California. After-school programs provide positive alternatives to gangs, drugs and violence.

After-School Programs Help Keep Kids Out of Trouble | Fight Crime: Invest in Kids

Did you know:
•Children and teens are more likely to be the victims of crime during the after-school hours than at any other time?

More likely than what? You can't make a null comparison. What are the statistics?

•Children and teens are more likely to participate in violent crimes during the after-school hours than at any other time?

See above
•Children and teens are more likely to engage in risky behaviors such as tobacco, alcohol or drug use or sexual activity during the after-school hours than at any other time?

Do you really think you can stop kids from experimenting? Did your parents stop you?

And again more likely than what?

Is it any wonder that psychologist and law enforcement officers have denoted the hours after school until parents get home the “Witching Hours”?

Hype.

Show me a real comparison of when kids had more freedom to today and all the so called trouble they got into compared to today.

Free Range Kids

More likely than what? You can't make a null comparison. What are the statistics?

See above

Do you really think you can stop kids from experimenting? Did your parents stop you?

And again more likely than what?

Hype.

Show me a real comparison of when kids had more freedom to today and all the so called trouble they got into compared to today.

When I was 12, I used to go camping with my friends during the summer. Just grab a tent and a sleeping bag and tell your mom you would be back in the morning. Big campfire, hotdogs, swimming in the creek, cigarettes and dirty magazines

I don't have to show you. There was a whole classroom of pregnant teenagers in my high school when I went to school.

My school had a blacktop. The kids weren't allowed to smoke in the lunchroom and they were told by school officials to smoke outside on the blacktop which was a fenced in area away from the road where parents couldn't see. The illegality of smoking is now enforced in my state whereas it was illegal but school officials looked the other way before I graduated.

There were broken liquor bottles in the fire towers at my school. You could seriously get cut walking down the stairs in an emergency.

We had students who didn't come to class for a whole month a marking period and they changed the laws in my state to prevent it.

It is all because adults didn't say, "no" to their kids.

I don't have to show you. There was a whole classroom of pregnant teenagers in my high school when I went to school.

Teenagers have been getting pregnant since there have been teenagers.

What does that have to do with letting kids outside to play?

My school had a blacktop. The kids weren't allowed to smoke in the lunchroom and they were told by school officials to smoke outside on the blacktop which was a fenced in area away from the road where parents couldn't see. The illegality of smoking is now enforced in my state whereas it was illegal but school officials looked the other way before I graduated.

Kids will smoke. ALL kids will push the boundaries. That's what they're supposed to do.

There were broken liquor bottles in the fire towers at my school. You could seriously get cut walking down the stairs in an emergency.

The HORROR!

We had students who didn't come to class for a whole month a marking period and they changed the laws in my state to prevent it.

Truancy and letting kids play outside are related how exactly?

It is all because adults didn't say, "no" to their kids.

I don't know how you made the leap from letting kids play outside and permissiveness.

I don't know how you made the leap from letting kids play outside and permissiveness.

Spiderman,

The kids I grew up with were all unsupervised and they all did stuff that would have gotten anyone in serious trouble. I worked with younger adults and they said what my generation did was juvenile because their generation is worse.

I went to school with a kid who told everyone he violated curfew and the cops had him up against a wall with their arm and their nightstick up against his face.

I knew a woman who said that 'so and so is a sl*t' because Ava had sex with 100 and she only had sex with 50.

Yeah, it can be prevented. When my wife was at the doctor's office, there was a sign on the wall that said if you had sex with more than a handful of people, you were at risk for STDs. The school had installed free condom vending machines and then the number of births skyrocketed because no one was using them but they gave approval by installing the machines.

Chuck

Spiderman,

The kids I grew up with were all unsupervised and they all did stuff that would have gotten anyone in serious trouble. I worked with younger adults and they said what my generation did was juvenile because their generation is worse.

I went to school with a kid who told everyone he violated curfew and the cops had him up against a wall with their arm and their nightstick up against his face.

I knew a woman who said that 'so and so is a sl*t' because Ava had sex with 100 and she only had sex with 50.

Yeah, it can be prevented. When my wife was at the doctor's office, there was a sign on the wall that said if you had sex with more than a handful of people, you were at risk for STDs. The school had installed free condom vending machines and then the number of births skyrocketed because no one was using them but they gave approval by installing the machines.

Chuck

So you can keep your kids under house arrest if you want. But there is no way you can convince me you are teaching those kids how to live in the world. You're teaching them to be afraid of everything.

Forum List

Back