This may be the last year you get a charitable tax deduction

Here we go folks,now there is a good reason the wealthy or anyone for that matter, doesn't need to help the charities .... Just a reminder many of these charities help raise babies without homes or food.

We are in horrible trouble with this greedy congress..

The 100-year-old charitable tax deduction is in danger . Charities are gearing up to fight fast-track tax reform legislation in Congress that could decimate giving and cut the number of Americans who can claim the charitable tax deduction by 80% to just one out of 20 taxpayers. Under President Donald Trump’s tax plan and the House Republican

Good.

When Mitt Romney donates a million dollars to the Mormon Church he gets a tax break. You and I have to pay more in taxes to make up the difference. Did you vote to subsidize the Mormon Church, I know I sure as hell didn't.
Make up the difference? Sounds like a good reason to cut spending.

Wouldn't you donate to a charity if you didn't get a freaking tax deduction?
Would the WEALTHIEST, is the question?

I'd say, probably NOT....they'd just move the money in to something else not taxable, whether overseas or here imo.

I do not make charitable donations because of a tax deduction. I do it to help people.

I do too, but the rich get a tax break which they like..

The ones I know, use it to donate more, because the tax break makes it go further. I doubt it will stop them.

I am sure you are generous but the rich don't get rich by giving it away..

I once went to my neighbors to collect toys and such for a foster group I volunteered for..
Most everyone was awesome, except the mega rich neighbor who gave second hand used crap..

Do you want the rich to pay their share or not? :rolleyes:
Exposing democrat double speak is unacceptable

Dude, what does it have to do with anything...
I think it's pretty obvious lol

My family has done volunteer work for years without pay...plus we give to our charities annually.

I have no problem if the tax is gone..( my husband may)

I was talking about the Rich people who only donate for the tax break....

I do not make charitable donations because of a tax deduction. I do it to help people.

I do too, but the rich get a tax break which they like..

The ones I know, use it to donate more, because the tax break makes it go further. I doubt it will stop them.

I am sure you are generous but the rich don't get rich by giving it away..

Actually, yes the rich can get rich giving money away. It is called a Charitable Remainder Trust. Back in the good old days you could use them to avoid capital gains and yet still get a deduction for the capital gains, then take the capital gains and invest them to generate tax free income, and maybe, just maybe, years later when you and your spouse pass away, if there is anything left, the charity gets it.

GOOD , if i help people by giving them money or help its between me and the charity or the people!!
I means less to the charities...who need it so badly.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am at most a nominal Christian . And my rules is just a modified Christian Rule that loosely goes . When a person prays [ 'I' add] or tries to do good work do it in Private . I should probably add that I only give to Christian Charity , pro gun groups and the drunks or homeless that I run into EWings .

Last edited:

I'd say, probably NOT....they'd just move the money in to something else not taxable, whether overseas or here imo.

Zackly. This is basically why corporate giving exists -- they get kickback.
That's a lotta money that would disappear.

Here we go folks,now there is a good reason the wealthy or anyone for that matter, doesn't need to help the charities .... Just a reminder many of these charities help raise babies without homes or food.

The 100-year-old charitable tax deduction is in danger . Charities are gearing up to fight fast-track tax reform legislation in Congress that could decimate giving and cut the number of Americans who can claim the charitable tax deduction by 80% to just one out of 20 taxpayers. Under President Donald Trump’s tax plan and the House Republican

Fine with me.
If you want to give then give but don't expect a tax break

Zackly. This is basically why corporate giving exists -- they get kickback.
That's a lotta money that would disappear.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------- and then we will see if Americans take up the slack and charitably support other Americans Pogo .

Nobody contributes money to charity because of the tax break. It's a bad financial decision! For example, let's say you are in the 20% tax bracket and you contribute $5,000.00 to charity, you just saved yourself $1.000.00 in taxes! Most people give because they want to!

GOOD , if i help people by giving them money or help its between me and the charity or the people!!
I means less to the charities...who need it so badly.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am at most a nominal Christian . And my rules is just a modified Christian Rule that loosely goes . When a person prays [ 'I' add] or tries to do good work do it in Private . I should probably add that I only give to Christian Charity , pro gun groups and the drunks or homeless that I run into EWings .

Yes, I agree that it we should not give so everyone can see what we are doing...the problem is that the many who gave to a charity for a tax break with not give to them anymore..so the charity hurts..

Nobody contributes money to charity because of the tax break. It's a bad financial decision! For example, let's say you are in the 20% tax bracket and you contribute $5,000.00 to charity, you just saved yourself $1.000.00 in taxes! Most people give because they want to!

b1da9dc0889aaccd2c393a7f149033cb.jpg

Exactly.

Here's a funny thing. I have started two faith-based non-profits. They both have identical missions, and they both operate in the same geographical area.

For the first one, I did not bother to apply for tax exempt status. To be honest, I just didn't want to do all the fricking paperwork.

For the second one, I had a volunteer who offered to do the paperwork, so I said what the hell.

So we have a perfect lab experiment. Two identical charities. Same operating area. One tax exempt, one not.

Guess which one got the most donations?

Trick question. The tax exempt status had no effect whatsoever on donations.

Forum List

Back