‘This Is Not of God’: When Anti-Trump Evangelicals Confront Their Brethren

I hope he's not trying to make the case Hilly was the 'Christian" choice.
Huh!!!???

No..I'm in the religious forum...thus I'm in a philosophical mode...The Christian choice, IMO?

None of the above..pay attention to the local races. Remember that the kingdom that Christian aspire to..is not of this world.
so whats his point.....
Read the article...make up your own mind.
I think the point was to bash Trump and get likes

And he thinks he is so much smarter than us, that we won't notice or call him on it.
Is that what i think? Hmmm....nope...I think--that i attracted some political flies...and that you will not disengage,.,nor will you comment cogently...so I'll count this as a failed attempt at some religious conversation..and go back to the political pages..where i can more freely express myself.

Collect likes..ROTFLMFAO!

But..my funny collection is truly impressive!

Huh..this is the Religious forum..so...perhaps tactics that you use in the political forum are not appropriate?

Somehow, it escaped you that I'm not trying to prove anything...just trying for some opinions. Nothing more. Only an errant fool would believe that one can EVER prove anything in these internet forums. Agree or disagree..and move on...

Your tactics are exactly what I would expect from a lefty trying to make a political smear against Evangelical supporters of Trump.

The op, if it is not that, points out the shocking fact that no all evagelicals support Trump.

Wow. That's exciting.
Odd..to have my actions reduced to tactics? A tactic would require an underlying strategy--yes? Again, I erroneously thought this was the religious forum...and thought I'd get some input. Some..dare I say...religious--based input.

Wrong site, I get that now.

What in your op was religious based? It all focused on the partisan divide.

If that was not your focus, you should have picked an different excerpt.
My assumption was..and I see I was inaccurate...that people would actually go to the article if they were interested..read the whole thing..and discuss it--no worries.

the entire OP..the article in question..addresses some fundamental principles of Christianity. Those who care about such things..would see that--i was aiming for them. i guess i should have left Trump out of the title..it attracted political flies.

Can, and should, a Christian support an adulterer and yes, I'm including Clinton and all adulterers..past and present, Democratic and Republican in this.

I guess one could construe this as a political issue..but for me, it's a religious and philosophical one. All have sinned..but this is not an excuse to continue to do so.

If there is no repentance, there is no forgiveness.
How many Saints can you name among recent Presidents......is it "Christian" to let invaders into your neighbors house...….is it Christian to enrich your friends thru public service......is it Christian to enrich yourself while selling out your countrymen...…..is it Christian to be liar of the year
It is not...and one could insert Trump or Clinton or Obama or Bush interchangeably in your post and be correct.

So, do you feel that supporting one over another is consistent with Christian values as expressed in the Bible?

Your tactics are exactly what I would expect from a lefty trying to make a political smear against Evangelical supporters of Trump.

The op, if it is not that, points out the shocking fact that no all evagelicals support Trump.

Wow. That's exciting.
Odd..to have my actions reduced to tactics? A tactic would require an underlying strategy--yes? Again, I erroneously thought this was the religious forum...and thought I'd get some input. Some..dare I say...religious--based input.

My assumption was..and I see I was inaccurate...that people would actually go to the article if they were interested..read the whole thing..and discuss it--no worries.

the entire OP..the article in question..addresses some fundamental principles of Christianity. Those who care about such things..would see that--i was aiming for them. i guess i should have left Trump out of the title..it attracted political flies.

Can, and should, a Christian support an adulterer and yes, I'm including Clinton and all adulterers..past and present, Democratic and Republican in this.

I guess one could construe this as a political issue..but for me, it's a religious and philosophical one. All have sinned..but this is not an excuse to continue to do so.

How many Saints can you name among recent Presidents......is it "Christian" to let invaders into your neighbors house...….is it Christian to enrich your friends thru public service......is it Christian to enrich yourself while selling out your countrymen...…..is it Christian to be liar of the year
It is not...and one could insert Trump or Clinton or Obama or Bush interchangeably in your post and be correct.

So, do you feel that supporting one over another is consistent with Christian values as expressed in the Bible?
Are you asserting Christians shouldn't vote because there isn't a Christ running.

A lot of typing to just say that you agree with the op.

Yet, nothing to support the argument. YOu just keep making the claim.

Standard use of Proof by Assertion logical fallacy as a type of propaganda.

Very common among lefties today.
Huh..this is the Religious forum..so...perhaps tactics that you use in the political forum are not appropriate?

Somehow, it escaped you that I'm not trying to prove anything...just trying for some opinions. Nothing more. Only an errant fool would believe that one can EVER prove anything in these internet forums. Agree or disagree..and move on...

Wow. That's exciting.

I don't believe you.

The political angle was obviously a major, if not the prime point of the article. Unless you cut and pasted a misleading piece.

Obviously yes.

Their is no religious nor philosophical reason to allow your enemies to gather strength while holding yourself aloof from supporting an ally, and one that is willing to advance your economic, social and religious agenda.

Are you asserting Christians shouldn't vote because there isn't a Christ running.
Generally? Of course not...in the last Presidential election..well..that was my choice..i think people should always consult their own consciences--and act accordingly.

Generally? Of course not...in the last Presidential election..well..that was my choice..i think people should always consult their own consciences--and act accordingly.
And do you think those that did sinned?

I'm sure he would love that.

Wow. That's exciting.

I don't believe you.

The political angle was obviously a major, if not the prime point of the article. Unless you cut and pasted a misleading piece.

Obviously yes.

Their is no religious nor philosophical reason to allow your enemies to gather strength while holding yourself aloof from supporting an ally, and one that is willing to advance your economic, social and religious agenda.
Hmmm..I'm guessing that you really are not in tune with the Christian angle, eh?

I gather that, one again, you have NOT read the article..and are continuing to comment based on the snippet i posted?

your disbelief as to my intent is noted...and smiled at***smile***

I think...that I'd like some cogent comment from you..I'm not here to answer questions one-sidedly. What do YOU think on the matter?

BTW...God determines who has sinned and who has not.

I think...that I'd like some cogent comment from you..I'm not here to answer questions one-sidedly. What do YOU think on the matter?

think I've made it clear the guys message is a fraud....

Well..as long as you are satisfied...LOL!

Wow. That's exciting.

I don't believe you.

Obviously yes.

Hmmm..I'm guessing that you really are not in tune with the Christian angle, eh?

I gather that, one again, you have NOT read the article..and are continuing to comment based on the snippet i posted?

Didn't like my answer to your questions, huh?

Page 5 and no one is reading the linked article. Everyone can see what it is.

A political smear job.

If that is not the case, you should have been posting excerpts that show that.

There are evangelicals concerned with spreading the word of Jesus Christ as the way to salvation, and there are evangelicals who expound a social justice/progressive political philosophy couched in Gospel terms.

The Red Letter Christians fall into the latter category.

The Red Letter Christians are teaching the word of Jesus.

What do you think Jesus words stand for?

Whats not to be satisfied about...a choice has to be made.....you make the best choice with info available. He's playing the I'm holier than thou card...…...pretty sure that's a Pharisee approved message

I've wondered how people of faith are viewing Trump..this article was an eye-opener--The article is ong..this is just a brief quote:

The night before Shane Claiborne came to town to preach at a Christian revival, he received a letter from the chief of police at Liberty University warning that if he set foot on the property, he would be arrested for trespassing and face up to 12 months in jail and a $2,500 fine.

At first glance, Mr. Claiborne hardly appeared a threat to Liberty University, a dominant force in Lynchburg, Va., and a powerful engine in evangelical Christianity. Wearing baggy clothes that he sews himself, Mr. Claiborne preaches the Gospel, lives among the poor and befriends prisoners on death row, modeling his ministry on the life of Jesus.

But to the leaders of Liberty, he was a menace to their campus. He and his national network of liberal evangelicals, called the Red Letter Christians, were holding a revival meeting to protest in Liberty’s backyard. Their target: Jerry Falwell Jr., Liberty’s president and a man who has played a pivotal role in forging the alliance between white evangelicals and Donald J. Trump, who won 81 percent of their vote.

Mr. Claiborne and his group are the other evangelicals. The Red Letter Christians, a reference to the words of Jesus printed in some Bibles in red type, are not the evangelicals invited for interviews on Fox News or MSNBC. They don’t align neatly with either political party. But they have fierce moral and theological objections to those evangelicals who have latched onto Mr. Trump and the Republican Party.

“Let’s go where the Christians are, go where toxic Christianity lives,” Mr. Claiborne said last year, when proposing the idea for a revival in Lynchburg at an annual retreat for the Red Letter Christians.

The revival last month was the most energetic of several recent attempts by Christians in various camps to confront what they see as Mr. Trump’s “court evangelicals” selling out the faith. The critics have written columns, and a book called “Still Evangelical?” They convened a closed-door summit last month at Wheaton College. A number of bereaved, eminent elders plan a procession to the White House soon to hand over their manifesto, “Reclaiming Jesus: A Confession of Faith in a Time of Crisis.”

Mr. Claiborne and his group were far more audacious, but they also faced disappointment, resistance and fear. They were taking on Lynchburg, a company town where Liberty University is the biggest employer. Their “Red Letter Revival” revealed the state of the evangelical church in 2018: The loudest voices and institutional power and money are with Mr. Trump; the dissenters are fired-up, underfunded and scattered; and the vast majority of pastors are silent for fear of dividing their congregations or risking their jobs.
Yea, sure they don't align with either political party, this group billed as liberal Christians who say that evangelicals who supported Trump are selling out the faith.

Liberals are not transparent except when they lie.

What really amazes me is that only 81% of evangelicals supported Trump. 19% thought maybe the Democrats were the better option? That lovable Church-friendly party?

Evangelists are not so called because they preach a social gospel, an "us v them" message that attacks the traditional American Christian community. They're evangelicals because they preach the Word of God, not abortion, welfare programs, and anti-republicanism.
So you say....I don't have that Hot Line to God...i just have to read the Bible..and it does NOT preach a message of hate.
If you don't have a hotline to God, please allow me to fill you in. Liberals, even those who call themselves Christian, have always been divisive. Liberals hate.

I doubt any Christian, Liberal or Conservative hates if they are following Jesus-words.

The only time he became angry was when he threw the Money Changers out of the Temple for cheating people. Jesus would be one busy guy today cleaning out the WH and Congress.

I don't believe you.

Obviously yes.

A political smear job.

Psychic, are you? For all you now hundreds have read the article while you prattle on--LOL! Why would I care about your wilful ignorance/ We all choose, right?

Your non-answers amuse me....as always..the crowd decides.

I've wondered how people of faith are viewing Trump..this article was an eye-opener--The article is ong..this is just a brief quote:

The night before Shane Claiborne came to town to preach at a Christian revival, he received a letter from the chief of police at Liberty University warning that if he set foot on the property, he would be arrested for trespassing and face up to 12 months in jail and a $2,500 fine.

At first glance, Mr. Claiborne hardly appeared a threat to Liberty University, a dominant force in Lynchburg, Va., and a powerful engine in evangelical Christianity. Wearing baggy clothes that he sews himself, Mr. Claiborne preaches the Gospel, lives among the poor and befriends prisoners on death row, modeling his ministry on the life of Jesus.

But to the leaders of Liberty, he was a menace to their campus. He and his national network of liberal evangelicals, called the Red Letter Christians, were holding a revival meeting to protest in Liberty’s backyard. Their target: Jerry Falwell Jr., Liberty’s president and a man who has played a pivotal role in forging the alliance between white evangelicals and Donald J. Trump, who won 81 percent of their vote.

Mr. Claiborne and his group are the other evangelicals. The Red Letter Christians, a reference to the words of Jesus printed in some Bibles in red type, are not the evangelicals invited for interviews on Fox News or MSNBC. They don’t align neatly with either political party. But they have fierce moral and theological objections to those evangelicals who have latched onto Mr. Trump and the Republican Party.

“Let’s go where the Christians are, go where toxic Christianity lives,” Mr. Claiborne said last year, when proposing the idea for a revival in Lynchburg at an annual retreat for the Red Letter Christians.

The revival last month was the most energetic of several recent attempts by Christians in various camps to confront what they see as Mr. Trump’s “court evangelicals” selling out the faith. The critics have written columns, and a book called “Still Evangelical?” They convened a closed-door summit last month at Wheaton College. A number of bereaved, eminent elders plan a procession to the White House soon to hand over their manifesto, “Reclaiming Jesus: A Confession of Faith in a Time of Crisis.”

Mr. Claiborne and his group were far more audacious, but they also faced disappointment, resistance and fear. They were taking on Lynchburg, a company town where Liberty University is the biggest employer. Their “Red Letter Revival” revealed the state of the evangelical church in 2018: The loudest voices and institutional power and money are with Mr. Trump; the dissenters are fired-up, underfunded and scattered; and the vast majority of pastors are silent for fear of dividing their congregations or risking their jobs.
Yea, sure they don't align with either political party, this group billed as liberal Christians who say that evangelicals who supported Trump are selling out the faith.

Liberals are not transparent except when they lie.

What really amazes me is that only 81% of evangelicals supported Trump. 19% thought maybe the Democrats were the better option? That lovable Church-friendly party?

Evangelists are not so called because they preach a social gospel, an "us v them" message that attacks the traditional American Christian community. They're evangelicals because they preach the Word of God, not abortion, welfare programs, and anti-republicanism.
So you say....I don't have that Hot Line to God...i just have to read the Bible..and it does NOT preach a message of hate.
If you don't have a hotline to God, please allow me to fill you in. Liberals, even those who call themselves Christian, have always been divisive. Liberals hate.

I doubt any Christian, Liberal or Conservative hates if they are following Jesus-words.

The only time he became angry was when he threw the Money Changers out of the Temple for cheating people. Jesus would be one busy guy today cleaning out the WH and Congress.

YOu argue against Christians hating.

Yet immediately claim that Jesus would be angry and drive the "money changer" out of the White House.

That very much supports norwegen's point about liberals being divisive and hateful.

I don't believe you.

Obviously yes.

A political smear job.

Psychic, are you? For all you now hundreds have read the article while you prattle on--LOL! Why would I care about your wilful ignorance/ We all choose, right?

THe complete lack of comments from anyone answering as you supposedly wanted, is a hint.

Whats not to be satisfied about...a choice has to be made.....you make the best choice with info available. He's playing the I'm holier than thou card...…...pretty sure that's a Pharisee approved message
A hint...your perception of other's motives..may not always be correct--and the reason's you decide as you do..have a lot to do with your inner world..and have nothing to do with me. The Pharisse's were traitors to Israel and collaborators with Rome..they loved money, and power. Less than a hundred years after Christ died...the Pharisee's did not exist..Israel did not exist. Our country appears weaker every day..tell me..who are today's Pharisees? Democrats? Republicans? Military-industrial complex? All of the above?

I don't believe you.

Obviously yes.

A political smear job.

THe complete lack of comments from anyone answering as you supposedly wanted, is a hint.
Yup...But hey..I got you babe!

Not the convo i wanted...to be sure...but sometimes one has to choose amusement over enlightenment.

I imagine that the lack of cogent, non-partisan comment in more due to people knowing that this is not the place for such..and thus they stay away.

Forum List

Back