This is a little unnerving

I can help. Send me your usernames and passwords, and I'll make sure they are secure. I'll also require your name, SSN, and date of birth. Your mother's maiden name isn't required, but greatly appreciated.

Apple has a long history of being far and away the most secure platform in the world. I pray that's not coming to an end. We've seen a rise in security flaws over the past couple of years.

Apple Security Bug Lets Hackers Nab Your Mac and iPhone Passwords With 1 Text

Apple uses Unix as part of it's operating system, which is more secure than anything Microsoft will put out. But since Apple has become more and more popular, you can expect hackers to go after them, just so they say they can do it.

Apple has a long history of being far and away the most secure platform in the world. I pray that's not coming to an end. We've seen a rise in security flaws over the past couple of years.

Apple Security Bug Lets Hackers Nab Your Mac and iPhone Passwords With 1 Text

Apple uses Unix as part of it's operating system, which is more secure than anything Microsoft will put out. But since Apple has become more and more popular, you can expect hackers to go after them, just so they say they can do it.
That's been my fear with the latest rise of flaws. Was Apple's reputation really just the result of "security through obscurity" all along?

Is the UNIX-based platform not really more secure than the DOS-based platform, but just wasn't worth the time for hackers looking to get the most out of the time they invested?

Cybersecurity? - We're all screwed...
eek.gif

The state of cyber security: we’re all screwed
Monday 8 August 2016 - Sophisticated cybercrime, privacy fears and ongoing confusion about security have soured the internet for many, and doing something about it won’t be easy
When cybersecurity professionals converged in Las Vegas last week to expose vulnerabilities and swap hacking techniques at Black Hat and Defcon, a consistent theme emerged: the internet is broken, and if we don’t do something soon, we risk permanent damage to our economy. “Half of all Americans are backing away from the net due to fears regarding security and privacy,” longtime tech security guru Dan Kaminsky said in his Black Hat keynote speech, citing a July 2015 study by the National Telecommunications and Information Administration. “We need to go ahead and get the internet fixed or risk losing this engine of beauty.”

There’s no lack of things to be worried about: organized cybercriminal gangs; government surveillance; not to mention hack attacks from nation states. That may be good news for the cybersecurity industry, which is expected to grow more than 10% annually and surpass $200bn worldwide by 2021, according to research firm Markets and Markets.

But it’s bad news for the rest of us. As we conduct more of our lives online, we’re being asked to become increasingly savvy about computer security. Many are simply uninterested or not up to the task. Add up all these factors, and the question becomes not why many consumers are losing confidence in the internet, but whether they should have any confidence at all.

Consumers: the new ATM for cyber crooks

Cybersecurity? - We're all screwed...
eek.gif

The state of cyber security: we’re all screwed
Monday 8 August 2016 - Sophisticated cybercrime, privacy fears and ongoing confusion about security have soured the internet for many, and doing something about it won’t be easy
When cybersecurity professionals converged in Las Vegas last week to expose vulnerabilities and swap hacking techniques at Black Hat and Defcon, a consistent theme emerged: the internet is broken, and if we don’t do something soon, we risk permanent damage to our economy. “Half of all Americans are backing away from the net due to fears regarding security and privacy,” longtime tech security guru Dan Kaminsky said in his Black Hat keynote speech, citing a July 2015 study by the National Telecommunications and Information Administration. “We need to go ahead and get the internet fixed or risk losing this engine of beauty.”

There’s no lack of things to be worried about: organized cybercriminal gangs; government surveillance; not to mention hack attacks from nation states. That may be good news for the cybersecurity industry, which is expected to grow more than 10% annually and surpass $200bn worldwide by 2021, according to research firm Markets and Markets.

But it’s bad news for the rest of us. As we conduct more of our lives online, we’re being asked to become increasingly savvy about computer security. Many are simply uninterested or not up to the task. Add up all these factors, and the question becomes not why many consumers are losing confidence in the internet, but whether they should have any confidence at all.

Consumers: the new ATM for cyber crooks
I may be a little short-sighted here, but I simply do not see a solution to the problem. What ever can be created by man can be destroyed by man. We can't create an automobile that cannot be stolen. We can't create a safe that cannot be broken into. And I simply don't see us ever creating software that cannot be hacked.

Forum List

Back