Astronomers say we could be just 10 years away from finding alien life

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
We are getting so close..

Astronomers say we could be just 10 years away from finding alien life

On May 2, an international team of astronomers announced that they had discovered three Earth-sized exoplanets, all orbiting the same star (TRAPPIST-1) just 40 light-years from us.

The scientists determined that all three planets are potentially habitable based on their size and temperature.

Now, the same team has discovered that the two innermost planets are rocky and have compact atmospheres, making them less like the hostile planet of Jupiter and more like the rocky planets of Earth, Venus, and Mars. This makes the prospect of life lurking in these faraway worlds even stronger. The researchers published their results today in Nature.

The findings were made just two days after the team announced that it had found the planetary system.

A promising place to detect alien life
Systems like this are promising places to detect alien life, Michaël Gillon, lead author of the paper presenting the discovery, said in an ESO press release .

The host star is an ultracool dwarf star — a type of cool, red star. Most of the time these stars are too small and faint to be detected by optical telescopes, and this star is no exception.

"Why are we trying to detect Earth-like planets around the smallest and coolest stars in the solar neighborhood? The reason is simple: systems around these tiny stars are the only places where we can detect life on an Earth-sized exoplanet with our current technology,” Gillon said.

Because of their closeness to the star, the two innermost planets are likely tidally locked, with one side always facing the star and the other always facing away.

Although the sides facing the star would be too hot to host any lifeforms and the sides facing away would be too cold and dark, the planets might contain "sweet spots." If the planets have atmospheres or even possibly oceans, heat from the star might be more evenly distributed, creating regions that just might be suitable for life.

Just send us some more MONEY, we will find it!

marvin002.jpg

I think the majority of us would like to find out that we are not alone before we die.

• Thanks
Reactions: GT
I think the majority of us would like to find out that we are not alone before we die.
Amazing people will believe in alien life but not God who says he is always with you.

What are you afraid of?

Don't bother I already know.
Afraid of losing more of my money to scammers.
Planets are detected by gravitational methods, there is no optics that will ever be able to determine if a planet has life. Ever.
So what are you afraid of about God?

We really don't have the tools as of yet to tell one way or another but planets like k2-72e and Kepler 442b probably do have a respectable chance at having some form of life.

We'll probably have to build a telescope capable of not only reading the contents of the atmosphere but probably more to confirm it. Not within 10 years mind you.

Amazing people will believe in alien life but not God who says he is always with you.

What are you afraid of?

Don't bother I already know.
Afraid of losing more of my money to scammers.
Planets are detected by gravitational methods, there is no optics that will ever be able to determine if a planet has life. Ever.
So what are you afraid of about God?

Oh please just tell the truth, I believe in god and in alien life. When it is confirmed it will throw religion into tail spins especially if it's intelegent life.

Finding "life" and finding a civilization equal to our own are two widely different things. Additionally, if a star is only 40 light years away, it's probably about the same age as our own solar system which means, given our system is "average", wouldn't have anyone capable of interstellar travel. Heck, it'd take 80 years just to send a message out at the speed of light and see it returned.

Considering they have been saying "fusion is 30 years away" for the past 40 years, I'm not holding my breath on this one.

Finding "life" and finding a civilization equal to our own are two widely different things. Additionally, if a star is only 40 light years away, it's probably about the same age as our own solar system which means, given our system is "average", wouldn't have anyone capable of interstellar travel. Heck, it'd take 80 years just to send a message out at the speed of light and see it returned.

Agree I think the op meant life

Yes. IIRC, our planet didn't originally have oxygen. Oxygen was by-product of evolving life. Could this be a means to detect life? I don't know.

Yes. IIRC, our planet didn't originally have oxygen. Oxygen was by-product of evolving life. Could this be a means to detect life? I don't know.

Learned something new today, I should have studied more, so oxygen is a byproduct of evolution?

Going to Google it

Interesting..

The Origin of Oxygen in Earth's Atmosphere

It's hard to keep oxygen molecules around, despite the fact that it's the third-mostabundant element in the universe, forged in the superhot, superdense core of stars. That's because oxygen wants to react; it can form compounds with nearly every other element on the periodic table. So how did Earth end up with an atmosphere made up of roughly 21 percent of the stuff?

The answer is tiny organisms known as cyanobacteria, or blue-green algae. These microbes conduct photosynthesis: using sunshine, water and carbon dioxide to produce carbohydrates and, yes, oxygen. In fact, all the plants on Earth incorporate symbiotic cyanobacteria (known as chloroplasts) to do their photosynthesis for them down to this day.

For some untold eons prior to the evolution of these cyanobacteria, during the Archean eon, more primitive microbes lived the real old-fashioned way: anaerobically. These ancient organisms—and their "extremophile" descendants today—thrived in the absence of oxygen, relying on sulfate for their energy needs.

But roughly 2.45 billion years ago, the isotopic ratio of sulfur transformed, indicating that for the first time oxygen was becoming a significant component of Earth's atmosphere, according to a 2000 paper in Science. At roughly the same time (and for eons thereafter), oxidized iron began to appear in ancient soils and bands of iron were deposited on the seafloor, a product of reactions with oxygen in the seawater.

"What it looks like is that oxygen was first produced somewhere around 2.7 billion to 2.8 billon years ago. It took up residence in atmosphere around 2.45 billion years ago," says geochemist Dick Holland, a visiting scholar at the University of Pennsylvania. "It looks as if there's a significant time interval between the appearance of oxygen-producing organisms and the actual oxygenation of the atmosphere."

So a date and a culprit can be fixed for what scientists refer to as the Great Oxidation Event, but mysteries remain. What occurred 2.45 billion years ago thatenabled cyanobacteria to take over? What were oxygen levels at that time? Why did it take another one billion years—dubbed the "boring billion" by scientists—for oxygen levels to rise high enough to enable the evolution of animals?

Most important, how did the amount of atmospheric oxygenreach its present level? "It's not that easy why it should balance at 21 percent rather than 10 or 40 percent," notes geoscientist James Kasting of Pennsylvania State University. "We don't understand the modern oxygen control system that well."

Climate, volcanism, plate tectonics all played a key role in regulating the oxygen level during various time periods. Yet no one has come up with a rock-solid test to determine the precise oxygen content of the atmosphere at any given time from the geologic record. But one thing is clear—the origins of oxygen in Earth's atmosphere derive from one thing: life.

Forum List

Back