Zone1 "They Were Products of Their Time"

IM2

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 11, 2015
We continue to see excuses from the right defending racism with the excuse of they were a product of their time. The record shows how the people of that time assessed “today’s” standards on themselves. Almost every one of them spoke out against slavery. Ben Franklin and Ben Rush formed an abolition organization. John Quincy Adams was called the “hell hound forAbolition.”1 Don’t believe me, here are their words.

“Why keep alive the question of slavery? It is admitted by all to be a great evil.” -Charles Carroll, Signer of the Declaration

“I am glad to hear that the disposition against keeping negroes grows more general in North America. Several pieces have been lately printed here against the practice, and I hope in time it will be taken into consideration and suppressed by the legislature.”-Benjamin Franklin, Signer of the Declaration, Signer of the Constitution, President of the Pennsylvania Abolition Society

“That men should pray and fight for their own freedom and yet keep others in slavery is certainly acting a very inconsistent, as well as unjust and perhaps impious.” -John Jay, President of Continental Congress, Original Chief Justice U. S. Supreme Court

I hope we shall at last, and if it so please God I hope it maybe during my lifetime, see this cursed thing [slavery] takenout. . . . For my part, whether in a public station or a private capacity, I shall always be prompt to contribute my assistance towards effecting so desirable an event.” -William Livingston, Signer of the Constitution; Governor of New Jersey

“The whole commerce between master and slave is a perpetual exercise of the most boisterous passions, the most unremitting despotism on the one part, and degrading submissions on the other. . . . And with what execration [curse]should the statesman be loaded, who permitting one half the citizens thus to trample on the rights of the other. . . . And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are of the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever.” -Thomas Jefferson

They knew what they were doing was wrong, yet they still did it. That is a product of their time.

kleenex-truck.jpg

Actually these Americans were the first in history to think that slavery was wrong. Slavery was in every country and is still in many, but it took the USA to come up with idea of abolition. BTW, Poland, under Casimir the Great freed you people in 1347 so don't look at me.

We continue to see excuses from the right defending racism with the excuse of they were a product of their time. The record shows how the people of that time assessed “today’s” standards on themselves. Almost every one of them spoke out against slavery. Ben Franklin and Ben Rush formed an abolition organization. John Quincy Adams was called the “hell hound forAbolition.”1 Don’t believe me, here are their words.

“Why keep alive the question of slavery? It is admitted by all to be a great evil.” -Charles Carroll, Signer of the Declaration

“I am glad to hear that the disposition against keeping negroes grows more general in North America. Several pieces have been lately printed here against the practice, and I hope in time it will be taken into consideration and suppressed by the legislature.”-Benjamin Franklin, Signer of the Declaration, Signer of the Constitution, President of the Pennsylvania Abolition Society

“That men should pray and fight for their own freedom and yet keep others in slavery is certainly acting a very inconsistent, as well as unjust and perhaps impious.” -John Jay, President of Continental Congress, Original Chief Justice U. S. Supreme Court

I hope we shall at last, and if it so please God I hope it maybe during my lifetime, see this cursed thing [slavery] takenout. . . . For my part, whether in a public station or a private capacity, I shall always be prompt to contribute my assistance towards effecting so desirable an event.” -William Livingston, Signer of the Constitution; Governor of New Jersey

“The whole commerce between master and slave is a perpetual exercise of the most boisterous passions, the most unremitting despotism on the one part, and degrading submissions on the other. . . . And with what execration [curse]should the statesman be loaded, who permitting one half the citizens thus to trample on the rights of the other. . . . And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are of the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever.” -Thomas Jefferson

They knew what they were doing was wrong, yet they still did it. That is a product of their time.
Name a country back then that did not have slavery.

Thomas Jefferson wanted to free the slave in the Declaration of Independence but compromised on the issue so that South Carolina would join the union.

Men like Franklin thought that the first order of business was to get freedom from England, and the address the evils of slavery. He was right, slavery would go away at some point, but at what cost?

Anna Madgigine Jai Kingsley - Wikipedia She was a product of her time and engaged in the slavery business because she was the product of her time meaning it was how she was taught in Africa and here in Florida. A common business for the time she lived in. Was there a faction in society opposed to slavery? Yes. But commonly it was accepted business practice. Her business was the '' breeding training and selling of slaves. '' Her plantation is open to the public here in Florida and in some ways, they try and sugarcoat her life but the plantation is there for all to see the whipping post-breeding stalls. It is sad to view but it is the truth. My question about this African woman and all slave owners should we judge them by today's societies morals or the time she lived in?

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: IM2

You have every right to spew. Getting rid of wrongs is not something that is stopped all at one time. When attempts are made to rectify those things, then damn it there should be massive improvements in a short time. That did not happen. Regression occurred and a whole new system of people living off of the new social welfare system.

Anna Madgigine Jai Kingsley - Wikipedia She was a product of her time and engaged in the slavery business because she was the product of her time meaning it was how she was taught in Africa and here in Florida. A common business for the time she lived in. Was there a faction in society opposed to slavery? Yes. But commonly it was accepted business practice. Her business was the '' breeding training and selling of slaves. '' Her plantation is open to the public here in Florida and in some ways, they try and sugarcoat her life but the plantation is there for all to see the whipping post-breeding stalls. It is sad to view but it is the truth. My question about this African woman and all slave owners should we judge them by today's societies morals or the time she lived in?

Here we go with this foolishness again. The founders made the laws you guys brag about as creating a society that promoted freedom for all. Anna Kingsley did not.

But;

Using a very few instances of blacks owning slaves is another denial tactic used by racists so:

Did Black People Own Slaves?​

By
Henry Louis Gates Jr.
Published March 4, 2013

How Many Slaves Did Blacks Own?

So what do the actual numbers of black slave owners and their slaves tell us? In 1830, the year most carefully studied by Carter G. Woodson, about 13.7 percent (319,599) of the black population was free. Of these, 3,776 free Negroes owned 12,907 slaves, out of a total of 2,009,043 slaves owned in the entire United States, so the numbers of slaves owned by black people over all was quite small by comparison with the number owned by white people. In his essay, " 'The Known World' of Free Black Slaveholders," Thomas J. Pressly, using Woodson's statistics, calculated that 54 (or about 1 percent) of these black slave owners in 1830 owned between 20 and 84 slaves; 172 (about 4 percent) owned between 10 to 19 slaves; and 3,550 (about 94 percent) each owned between 1 and 9 slaves. Crucially, 42 percent owned just one slave.

Pressly also shows that the percentage of free black slave owners as the total number of free black heads of families was quite high in several states, namely 43 percent in South Carolina, 40 percent in Louisiana, 26 percent in Mississippi, 25 percent in Alabama and 20 percent in Georgia. So why did these free black people own these slaves?

It is reasonable to assume that the 42 percent of the free black slave owners who owned just one slave probably owned a family member to protect that person, as did many of the other black slave owners who owned only slightly larger numbers of slaves. As Woodson put it in 1924's Free Negro Owners of Slaves in the United States in 1830, "The census records show that the majority of the Negro owners of slaves were such from the point of view of philanthropy.

https://www.theroot.com/did-black-people-own-slaves-1790895436

Basically free blacks owned an average of 3 slaves each. So if we want to be disingenuous and take into account the Kingsley plantation, it means a lot of free blacks didn't own slaves. In addition, blacks owned less than 1 percent of the slaves in America. in fact when you do the math the number is this- 0.0064244518410009.

So let's stop with the false equivalences and accept the fact that whites own the institution of slavery in this country.

Name a country back then that did not have slavery.

Thomas Jefferson wanted to free the slave in the Declaration of Independence but compromised on the issue so that South Carolina would join the union.

Men like Franklin thought that the first order of business was to get freedom from England, and the address the evils of slavery. He was right, slavery would go away at some point, but at what cost?
More excuses.

More excuses.
I'm not saying Franklin was right in compromising.

In fact, some white men, like George Mason, who refused to sign the Constitution because it did not free the slaves and he predicted it would come back to bite them all in the ass. I think he was correct on all counts..

Even though George lost his fight and they signed the Constitution without freeing the slaves, at that time, antislavery sentiment was perhaps the strongest in America than at any other place in the world at that time.

Last edited:
I'm not saying Franklin was right in compromising.

In fact, some white men, like George Mason, who refused to sign the Constitution because it did not free the slaves and he predicted it would come back to bite them all in the ass. I think he was correct on all counts..

Even though George lost his fight and they signed the Constitution without freeing the slaves, at that time, antislavery sentiment was perhaps the strongest in America than at any other place in the world at that time.
I know that some whites want to believe what you posted, but this was a nation that took on the worlds number 1 military superpower because they were mad at taxation, so if anti senti ment had really been strong, they would have ended slavery at the constitutional convention.

Here we go with this foolishness again. The founders made the laws you guys brag about as creating a society that promoted freedom for all. Anna Kingsley did not.

But;

Using a very few instances of blacks owning slaves is another denial tactic used by racists so:

Did Black People Own Slaves?​

By
Henry Louis Gates Jr.
Published March 4, 2013

How Many Slaves Did Blacks Own?

So what do the actual numbers of black slave owners and their slaves tell us? In 1830, the year most carefully studied by Carter G. Woodson, about 13.7 percent (319,599) of the black population was free. Of these, 3,776 free Negroes owned 12,907 slaves, out of a total of 2,009,043 slaves owned in the entire United States, so the numbers of slaves owned by black people over all was quite small by comparison with the number owned by white people. In his essay, " 'The Known World' of Free Black Slaveholders," Thomas J. Pressly, using Woodson's statistics, calculated that 54 (or about 1 percent) of these black slave owners in 1830 owned between 20 and 84 slaves; 172 (about 4 percent) owned between 10 to 19 slaves; and 3,550 (about 94 percent) each owned between 1 and 9 slaves. Crucially, 42 percent owned just one slave.

Pressly also shows that the percentage of free black slave owners as the total number of free black heads of families was quite high in several states, namely 43 percent in South Carolina, 40 percent in Louisiana, 26 percent in Mississippi, 25 percent in Alabama and 20 percent in Georgia. So why did these free black people own these slaves?

It is reasonable to assume that the 42 percent of the free black slave owners who owned just one slave probably owned a family member to protect that person, as did many of the other black slave owners who owned only slightly larger numbers of slaves. As Woodson put it in 1924's Free Negro Owners of Slaves in the United States in 1830, "The census records show that the majority of the Negro owners of slaves were such from the point of view of philanthropy.

https://www.theroot.com/did-black-people-own-slaves-1790895436

Basically free blacks owned an average of 3 slaves each. So if we want to be disingenuous and take into account the Kingsley plantation, it means a lot of free blacks didn't own slaves. In addition, blacks owned less than 1 percent of the slaves in America. in fact when you do the math the number is this- 0.0064244518410009.

So let's stop with the false equivalences and accept the fact that whites own the institution of slavery in this country.
But very few whites owned slaves yet you talk as if every white American had slaves and/or approved of slavery, which is incorrect.

You have every right to spew.
No, the miserable SOB doesn't. It lives in the greatest country the world has produced, has nothing to bitch about so it lives in the past. Honestly the world would be a much better place without they/them

Are you telling us that Ben Franklin wanted the revolution to fail ?

Surely you jest

Without the southern states there never would have been a United States of America

That would have been a tragic loss for mankind

But very few whites owned slaves yet you talk as if every white American had slaves and/or approved of slavery, which is incorrect.
He also talks as if every white American had an ancestor who owned slaved when half didn’t even immigrate here until after slavery was abolished.

That would be a strange way to look at it. It would be like asking how many people in the 80s owned cars or tvs. Those weren't things every individual had, they were things families had and when we go back to the Census before the Civil War we see that in some States 40% of families owned at least one slave and I think the Confederate state with the fewest slave ownership still had around 20% of families who owned at least one slave. This is all besides the fact that whether we're talking agricultural in the South or textile manufacturing in the North, most of these industries relied on products produced by slaves.

• Fact
Reactions: IM2

Forum List

Back