Zone1 "They Were Products of Their Time"

We continue to see excuses from the right defending racism with the excuse of they were a product of their time. The record shows how the people of that time assessed “today’s” standards on themselves. Almost every one of them spoke out against slavery. Ben Franklin and Ben Rush formed an abolition organization. John Quincy Adams was called the “hell hound forAbolition.”1 Don’t believe me, here are their words.

“Why keep alive the question of slavery? It is admitted by all to be a great evil.” -Charles Carroll, Signer of the Declaration

“I am glad to hear that the disposition against keeping negroes grows more general in North America. Several pieces have been lately printed here against the practice, and I hope in time it will be taken into consideration and suppressed by the legislature.”-Benjamin Franklin, Signer of the Declaration, Signer of the Constitution, President of the Pennsylvania Abolition Society

“That men should pray and fight for their own freedom and yet keep others in slavery is certainly acting a very inconsistent, as well as unjust and perhaps impious.” -John Jay, President of Continental Congress, Original Chief Justice U. S. Supreme Court

I hope we shall at last, and if it so please God I hope it maybe during my lifetime, see this cursed thing [slavery] takenout. . . . For my part, whether in a public station or a private capacity, I shall always be prompt to contribute my assistance towards effecting so desirable an event.” -William Livingston, Signer of the Constitution; Governor of New Jersey

“The whole commerce between master and slave is a perpetual exercise of the most boisterous passions, the most unremitting despotism on the one part, and degrading submissions on the other. . . . And with what execration [curse]should the statesman be loaded, who permitting one half the citizens thus to trample on the rights of the other. . . . And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are of the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever.” -Thomas Jefferson

They knew what they were doing was wrong, yet they still did it. That is a product of their time.
People aren’t defending slavery. It WAS a different mindset back then. It’s not an excuse, it was not considered wrong, we know this today, many knew it back then too, except for slave owners and narrow minded people who would not accept everyone as equals.

The only problem the Hebrews had with slavery was when they were the slaves. You notice Moses said nothing about freeing the Nubians or other Egyptian slaves,
Agreed. "Let my people go."
So in the late eighteenth century, England, Spain, France, Russia, China, India, Portugal, all were “deplorable nations of mutants“ who supported slavery. Go back another hundred years and slavery was the norm, not the exception, literally every one accepted slavery as a normal part of life.
Said no sane slave ever.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: IM2
Terrorism has been happening since the beginning of time. Therefore terrorism is OK and we should not do anything about it.

Terrorism has been happening since the beginning of time. Therefore terrorism is OK and we should not do anything about it.
That's an idiotic comparison, but we will attempt to stop terrorism just like we attempted to stop slavery. Since slavery still thrives in the modern world, I don't expect we will ever be able to stop terrorism either. Making a good-faith effort is all we can do.

Forum List

Back