The State of US Liberal Arts education.

A Liberal Arts degree will get you hired into company departments that would otherwise shun you. It's not so much: "Did you go to college for the position you are currently applying for?" More like: "Nice ring! I believe we may have a position suited to you."

It's not really what you learned. It's the fact that you learned a ton of whatever, and you could stick it out.
More to the point, it’s that you received a comprehensive education – you were exposed to the arts, science, history, the law, governance, politics, and literature; you developed critical thinking and problem-solving skills; and you successfully completed an education program less than a quarter of Americans have completed.
A college education also helps students grow socially, in addition to mental growth. Many trump supporters have not had that experience and poo-poo it to justify their confused and illogical arguments.
Think about unkotare shallow reply to this great post. He basically got nothin.

A Liberal Arts degree will get you hired into company departments that would otherwise shun you. It's not so much: "Did you go to college for the position you are currently applying for?" More like: "Nice ring! I believe we may have a position suited to you."

It's not really what you learned. It's the fact that you learned a ton of whatever, and you could stick it out.
More to the point, it’s that you received a comprehensive education – you were exposed to the arts, science, history, the law, governance, politics, and literature; you developed critical thinking and problem-solving skills; and you successfully completed an education program less than a quarter of Americans have completed.
A college education also helps students grow socially, in addition to mental growth. Many trump supporters have not had that experience and poo-poo it to justify their confused and illogical arguments.
I think the part that made unkotare mad was when you said a lot of trump supporters didn’t go to college. Its true. Whites with at least a four year degree voted for Clinton 55% to trump 38%.

Trump won 64% of the uneducated to Hillary’s 28%. This is a much larger group.

"Higher education" in the U.S. was dramatically diluted by the Vietnam war, which unfortunately occurred at the same time as millions of Boomers reached college/draft age.

The juxtaposition of these two phenomena brought about a need for more college opportunities, coupled with millions of spoiled (children of the Greatest Generation) young men who wanted a way of avoiding or deferring their exposure to the military draft. At the same time, the instructors in higher education realized that it was literally possible to get someone killed in Vietnam by giving them a failing grade (academic attrition was common prior to Vietnam). That student might fail out of college, get drafted, and...well, you know the rest.

A college degree in, say, 1966, was a real accomplishment at most colleges, regardless of one's major. It was difficult to get in to college, easy to fail out, and completing the requirements for a Bachelors Degree meant that you were reasonably intelligent and had the maturity to do adult-level, challenging academic work. As a result, major corporations sought people who simply had degrees, assuming that they could certainly be trained to do the challenging work that needed done. I know many people who graduated from college during these years (1950-66) and had multiple job offers from good corporations. They had the world by the ass, regardless of what their college major was, and it was usually some aspect of the Liberal Arts.

But colleges exploded in size during the Boomer/Vietnam years, dramatically increasing the overall college population. The entrance standards were relaxed, course work was watered down, the schools became more tolerant of failure (they didn't want students failing out; they wanted that tuition money for FOUR years), and remedial courses became very common where they had never existed before.

And the overall result was that the "generic" Liberal Arts degree that was a virtual guarantee of a good job in 1965 was nothing more than a minor entry on a resume by 1975,

Then you had the issues of the post-Boomer student population. The colleges had expanded to accommodate the Boomer population, but when that blip in the population went away, THEY STILL HAD TO FILL THOSE SEATS, which brought about even further dilution of content and academic rigor.

Which brings us to today, where Starbucks can demand a Masters in Fine Arts from their applicants for Barista positions

That's as exaggeration, of course, but not much of one.

A "Liberal Arts" degree today? Not worth much.

A college education also helps students grow socially, in addition to mental growth. ......

What a load of pretentious bullshit.
And factual. How the hell would you know? .....

Because I'm a human being. Such pretentious bullshit only makes the one spewing it look like a self-important buffoon.
I know that you are a human being. If you, as a human being are uneducated, then embrace the education that others have had rather than dissing it to support your insecurities.

A college education also helps students grow socially, in addition to mental growth. ......

Because I'm a human being. Such pretentious bullshit only makes the one spewing it look like a self-important buffoon.
I know that you are a human being. If you, as a human being are uneducated, then embrace the education that others have had rather than dissing it to support your insecurities.

Aren't you gonna try to tell me all about your education and how your incredibly fragile ego is tied to whatever pieces of paper you have?

Aren't you gonna try to tell me all about your education and how your incredibly fragile ego is tied to whatever pieces of paper you have?
Obviously, you are not the brightest or informed rock in the pile, so I won't confuse you with the facts.
Perhaps if you had those 'pieces of paper' in your ignorant hands you would not be so narrow in your scope of thought.

Perhaps if you had those 'pieces of paper' in your ignorant hands you would not be so narrow in your scope of thought.

So, if I had a piece of paper like you, that would make me smart like you?

I don't know about"smart". Maybe to help you be informed, though.

But you're superior because of your paper?
Never used the word "superior"

But don't you feel that way?

No, not superior. More knowledgeable and less able to be conned or lied to.

No, not superior. More knowledgeable......

And what makes you think you are more knowledgeable? In what way? In what area?

No, not superior. More knowledgeable......

And what makes you think you are more knowledgeable? In what way? In what area?
I have a better grasp of election issues and am not fooled by Trump's grifter tactics. I am more knowledgeable about Trump's past since I did my homework on him.

Forum List

Back