The Sloppy, Dirty, Secret Grab of Trump's DMs

excalibur

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2015
Lying to a court seems to be part of Jack Smith's MO.

And a rubber-stamping judge is all he needs to claim anything and get whatever he seeks. That is the corruption of both Justice and the courts.

That is not a nation any of us should want.

They claimed if the government got his direct messages, he would flee the country.
“They” are Special Counsel Jack Smith and D.C. District Court Judge Beryl Howell. “He,” of course, is former President Donald Trump.
Taking advantage of an undoubtedly hectic time a few months after Elon Musk finalized his purchase of Twitter in October 2022, the Department of Justice attempted to serve the company with a court-ordered search warrant seeking all records related to Donald Trump’s Twitter account. But Smith—who has unlimited resources, a large staff of experienced attorneys and investigators, and an (unjustified) reputation among the expert legal class as a by-the-book prosecutor—didn’t do it the old-fashioned way.
One of Smith’s associates apparently filed the search warrant on Twitter’s website under its “legal requests” page on January 17. But that didn’t work. So they tried again two days later, leaving an unprecedented search warrant on a former president of the United States in some rando’s inbox. Hearing no response—no duh—Smith’s office on January 25 contacted Twitter’s legal counsel, who informed the government she hadn’t heard anything about the warrant.
And Smith’s response basically was—too bad. Twitter, Smith warned, had two days to produce the data or else.
Those are just a few of the juicy details contained in a newly released 34-page appellate ruling upholding Howell’s order to force Twitter to hand over everything on Trump’s Twitter account including direct messages, drafts, and possibly deleted tweets. Smith convinced Howell—not a heavy lift for a judge who continues to issue landmark rulings against Trump including piercing attorney-client privilege between the former president and his private lawyer—that the DOJ needed Trump’s private Twitter archive as part of its investigation into efforts “to alter the outcome of a valid national election for the leadership of the Executive Branch of the federal government...and [to assess] whether that activity crossed lines into criminal culpability."
But that wasn’t all that Smith and Howell, an Obama appointee who served as the D.C. district’s chief judge until a few months ago, demanded of the social media company’s new ownership. A nondisclosure order accompanied the search warrant, meaning Twitter could not notify its user, Donald Trump, about the legal proceedings for 180 days.
The basis for the nondisclosure order, Smith and Howell apparently argued in filings and hearings still under seal, was the Storage Communications Act. A provision in the Act allows a judge to instruct service providers not to disclose the existence of a warrant based on five potential harms: endangering the life or physical safety of an individual; flight from prosecution; destruction of or tampering with evidence; intimidation of potential witnesses; or otherwise seriously jeopardizing an investigation or unduly delaying a trial.
At some point—and again, we may never know since the entire case file is under seal with the exception of the appellate court decision—Smith warned that Trump was a flight risk in order to meet the Act’s nondisclosure requirements. Howell concurred, stating that she also “found reason to believe that the former President would ‘flee from prosecution,’” according to a footnote in the appellate court’s opinion.
The footnote also disclosed that Smith had “errantly included flight from prosecution as a predicate” in seeking the nondisclosure order. (Misleading a court is just fine if you are Jack Smith.)
And as if to rescue Howell from her own absurd accusation that one of the most famous men in the world would hop on his golden jetliner to escape to some Godforsaken land upon learning a creepy special counsel and his creepy investigators would be reading his Twitter activity from three years ago, the appellate panel insisted Howell “did not rely on risk of flight in [her] ultimate analysis.”
Sure.

Total bullshit article.

Sorry, but if there's suspected criminal activity, your online accounts are fair game - provided that a prosecutor can convince a judge that there may be investigative value in whatever's in the account. It happens all the fucking time.

Total bullshit article.

Sorry, but if there's suspected criminal activity, your online accounts are fair game - provided that a prosecutor can convince a judge that there may be investigative value in whatever's in the account. It happens all the fucking time.
That ain't total bullshit. It may have a slant to it, but it ain't total bullshit.

Hold up, January 17th. When was Jack Smith appointed? Sum Ting Wong.

Nah, No Ting Wong, except maybe NDA and weaponization of the DOJ and judiciary.

Last edited:
Total bullshit article.

But Trump is special….

That ain't total bullshit. It may have a slant to it, but it ain't total bullshit.

Hold up, January 17th. When was Jack Smith appointed? Sum Ting Wong.

Nah, No Ting Wong, except maybe NDA and weaponization of the DOJ and judiciary.

Any warrant is approved by a judge.

I would agree that judges are not infallible, especially in the wake of FISA abuses, but this wasn't a FISA warrant if I have my shit correct - if I'm wrong, I'll retract. My ego's not tied to this, I just want facts out there.

Any warrant is approved by a judge.

I would agree that judges are not infallible, especially in the wake of FISA abuses, but this wasn't a FISA warrant if I have my shit correct - if I'm wrong, I'll retract. My ego's not tied to this, I just want facts out there.
Facts are all 3 judges were Obama appointees and the manner in which Smith obtained the warrant is sketch AF.

Also the NDA and fine bullshit. It reads like Soviet-style.

But Trump is special….

He is, ain't he?

The average MAGA supporter doesn't realize, any normal person would already be behind bars staring at decades in the clink for a fraction of the shit he's accused of (and likely guilty of).

I understand you all are angry at lib/prog politicians who, in your estimation, sold your country out without your permission. I don't necessarily agree with you, but I 'get you'.

But whatever you're pissed off about you need to fix by making your arguments and winning elections legitimately, not by having someone trying to rip off the 81 million people who voted for Joe Biden over the 75 million who voted for MAGA Jesus.

He is, ain't he?

The average MAGA supporter doesn't realize, any normal person would already be behind bars staring at decades in the clink for a fraction of the shit he's accused of (and likely guilty of).

I understand you all are angry at lib/prog politicians who, in your estimation, sold your country out without your permission. I don't necessarily agree with you, but I 'get you'.

But whatever you're pissed off about you need to fix by making your arguments and winning elections legitimately, not by having someone trying to rip off the 81 million people who voted for Joe Biden over the 75 million who voted for MAGA Jesus.
Isn't that cute, you believe there were 81 million votes. :itsok:

Have you researched the history of elections in the US and how many people voted in them?

So…he shouldn’t be treated the same as the rest of us?
"The rest of us" would have cracked 5 years ago.

Trump has NOT been treated the same as the rest of us AT ALL.

They've been up his ass for 7 years now. THAT is persecution, not prosecution.

Lying to a court seems to be part of Jack Smith's MO.

And a rubber-stamping judge is all he needs to claim anything and get whatever he seeks. That is the corruption of both Justice and the courts.

That is not a nation any of us should want.

They claimed if the government got his direct messages, he would flee the country.
“They” are Special Counsel Jack Smith and D.C. District Court Judge Beryl Howell. “He,” of course, is former President Donald Trump.
Taking advantage of an undoubtedly hectic time a few months after Elon Musk finalized his purchase of Twitter in October 2022, the Department of Justice attempted to serve the company with a court-ordered search warrant seeking all records related to Donald Trump’s Twitter account. But Smith—who has unlimited resources, a large staff of experienced attorneys and investigators, and an (unjustified) reputation among the expert legal class as a by-the-book prosecutor—didn’t do it the old-fashioned way.
One of Smith’s associates apparently filed the search warrant on Twitter’s website under its “legal requests” page on January 17. But that didn’t work. So they tried again two days later, leaving an unprecedented search warrant on a former president of the United States in some rando’s inbox. Hearing no response—no duh—Smith’s office on January 25 contacted Twitter’s legal counsel, who informed the government she hadn’t heard anything about the warrant.
And Smith’s response basically was—too bad. Twitter, Smith warned, had two days to produce the data or else.
Those are just a few of the juicy details contained in a newly released 34-page appellate ruling upholding Howell’s order to force Twitter to hand over everything on Trump’s Twitter account including direct messages, drafts, and possibly deleted tweets. Smith convinced Howell—not a heavy lift for a judge who continues to issue landmark rulings against Trump including piercing attorney-client privilege between the former president and his private lawyer—that the DOJ needed Trump’s private Twitter archive as part of its investigation into efforts “to alter the outcome of a valid national election for the leadership of the Executive Branch of the federal government...and [to assess] whether that activity crossed lines into criminal culpability."
But that wasn’t all that Smith and Howell, an Obama appointee who served as the D.C. district’s chief judge until a few months ago, demanded of the social media company’s new ownership. A nondisclosure order accompanied the search warrant, meaning Twitter could not notify its user, Donald Trump, about the legal proceedings for 180 days.
The basis for the nondisclosure order, Smith and Howell apparently argued in filings and hearings still under seal, was the Storage Communications Act. A provision in the Act allows a judge to instruct service providers not to disclose the existence of a warrant based on five potential harms: endangering the life or physical safety of an individual; flight from prosecution; destruction of or tampering with evidence; intimidation of potential witnesses; or otherwise seriously jeopardizing an investigation or unduly delaying a trial.
At some point—and again, we may never know since the entire case file is under seal with the exception of the appellate court decision—Smith warned that Trump was a flight risk in order to meet the Act’s nondisclosure requirements. Howell concurred, stating that she also “found reason to believe that the former President would ‘flee from prosecution,’” according to a footnote in the appellate court’s opinion.
The footnote also disclosed that Smith had “errantly included flight from prosecution as a predicate” in seeking the nondisclosure order. (Misleading a court is just fine if you are Jack Smith.)
And as if to rescue Howell from her own absurd accusation that one of the most famous men in the world would hop on his golden jetliner to escape to some Godforsaken land upon learning a creepy special counsel and his creepy investigators would be reading his Twitter activity from three years ago, the appellate panel insisted Howell “did not rely on risk of flight in [her] ultimate analysis.”
Sure.

The judge actually so fully rubber-stamped whatever the DOJ (ahem, the “special counsel’s” hench persecutors) submitted, the order to keep it confidential was even partially approved in the basis of the boilerplate claim that the former President could be a “flight risk.”

The absolute rubber-stamp nature of this shit is disturbing. But quite clear. All the judges should be embarrassed.

Forum List

Back