Zone1 The Problem of Evil

I have never been scared of such threats. Why are they so scary to you? Or, why do you think everyone else is scared?

The reason for the Ten Commandments is the sense they make for a peaceful, joyful life. Sure, we can slap the word "moral" on them, but they are simply a way of living that a group of people decided to follow in their community for the good of the whole.

they are predicated on a lie, heavenly tablets that never existed - or meriweather is able to provide their location to verify the etchings they claim are 10 commandments.

- as well their 4th century religion of servitude the false claim of a messiah for their personal salvation.

For example:
10. Thou Shalt Not Covet "the good of the whole." :blowpop:
It's prolly the only commandment that has to do with your inner you. We all see something that a friend or neighbor has and then want it. However, coveting means something more like desire, lust, want, jealousy, set your eyes and heart on, greed and more. You can't get it out of your mind and it leads to discontent and could cause you to do some crime like steal or commit adultery. You're right in that it could be for "the good of the whole" as it's due to selfishness of an individual and cause problems.

Humans define their own purpose.

Our human sense of purpose is not dependent on the universe having a purpose

Sure pal

Stop 100 people on the street and ask them this. If even 60% said we don't really have a purpose at all, we're just making it all up, I might start to believe you.

But that's not the answer you would get. From a few who are mad at God, sure. Not from most though.

Humans define their own purpose.

I had another thought. If the universe has no purpose, then what does no life elsewhere mean? Shouldn't there be a microbe or simple life elsewhere? I mean we have such a finely tuned universe, but even that can be overcome without a purposeless universe. However, this is not what is observed or what science backs up despite what Victor Stenger wrote.

It's prolly the only commandment that has to do with your inner you. We all see something that a friend or neighbor has and then want it. However, coveting means something more like desire, lust, want, jealousy, set your eyes and heart on, greed and more. You can't get it out of your mind and it leads to discontent and could cause you to do some crime like steal or commit adultery. You're right in that it could be for "the good of the whole" as it's due to selfishness of an individual and cause problems.
Indeed. Yet Meriweather claims that all Ten Commandments "are simply a way of living that a group of people decided to follow in their community for the good of the whole." Well, kumbaya city as always. But one simply has to appreciate that "God" really just wants all to obey without question. Know thy place (woman)! It's bad enough when one individual or neighbor gets uppity and begins coveting "the good of the whole." But a whole community doing it at once? Whoa! Next thing you know they'll be cats and dogs living together. Now you have An Evil Problem. Mark my words! 🤪

Last edited:
That's not how religion works. You don't even know that and are wrong. For people like you, it ends with eternal damnation. I've said many times how it starts with faith. You do not even know that.

I have educated opinions and can back up my arguments with links and anecdotes. Science backs up the Bible. All you have are your own uninteresting opinions which no one can back up and all of us do not care about.
Of course that's how religion works. Promise either salvation or damnation.

And FYI anecdotes are never proof of anything. I would think someone who claims to be so educates would know that.

I had another thought. If the universe has no purpose, then what does no life elsewhere mean? Shouldn't there be a microbe or simple life elsewhere? I mean we have such a finely tuned universe, but even that can be overcome without a purposeless universe. However, this is not what is observed or what science backs up despite what Victor Stenger wrote.
I never said there was no life elsewhere did I?

If there is there is no reason to think that life didn't evolve independently.

The fact is until we actually know there is other life in the universe we cannot say that the only instance of life we know of ( us) is proof that the universe is finely tuned for life.

I have never been scared of such threats. Why are they so scary to you? Or, why do you think everyone else is scared?

The reason for the Ten Commandments is the sense they make for a peaceful, joyful life. Sure, we can slap the word "moral" on them, but they are simply a way of living that a group of people decided to follow in their community for the good of the whole.
I'm not religious so obviously threats of damnation means nothing to me.

Religion plays on the 2 most basic human emotions, fear and greed.

And as I said everything in the 10 commandments except the worship god stuff was already codified in societies before the OT was written.

Sure pal

Stop 100 people on the street and ask them this. If even 60% said we don't really have a purpose at all, we're just making it all up, I might start to believe you.

But that's not the answer you would get. From a few who are mad at God, sure. Not from most though.
Care to prove that with actual numbers and not opinion?

And I never said humans don't have purpose I said humans define their own purpose.

Indeed. Yet Meriweather claims that all Ten Commandments "are simply a way of living that a group of people decided to follow in their community for the good of the whole." Well, kumbaya city as always. But one simply has to appreciate that "God" really just wants all to obey without question. Know thy place (woman)! It's bad enough when one individual or neighbor gets uppity and begins coveting "the good of the whole." But a whole community doing it at once? Whoa! Next thing you know they'll be cats and dogs living together. Now you have An Evil Problem. Mark my words! 🤪
I don't think it's that at all. We're talking OT stuff made for the ancient Jews.

I'm not sure if anyone reads and obeys it today. I haven't heard it mentioned at all in church sermons and I've been Christian since 2012. It's part of history. If anything, it reminds me of thy will be done in the Bible and that's to recognize Jesus.

I never said there was no life elsewhere did I?

If there is there is no reason to think that life didn't evolve independently.

The fact is until we actually know there is other life in the universe we cannot say that the only instance of life we know of ( us) is proof that the universe is finely tuned for life.
It doesn't matter what you said or not said as you aren't God lol. I just said your opinions are worthless as nothing backs it up. Even your link is just someone's opinion.

OTOH, I can say there is no life elsewhere as I think God would've told us if he created life, especially moral life, elsewhere in the universe. The universe was created for us to explore with new technology and realize the wonder of God and His power. The Bible leads me to believe that there is no other life elsewhere, even a microbe. The universe's purpose is to tell us the wonder and power of God. The JWST shows us that God created a mature universe throughout. You can't find a budding heavenly body anywhere so that disproves evolution, i.e. no Big Bang.

Last edited:
But one simply has to appreciate that "God" really just wants all to obey without question.

it's a mute point when they were made up for that reason - as attributed to the heavens - that in itself is a breach to the true metaphysical origin they knowingly disobey by their lie and reflective of the corruption of all three desert religions. and the purposeful revisions necessary.

It doesn't matter what you said or not said as you aren't God lol. I just said your opinions are worthless as nothing backs it up. Even your link is just someone's opinion.

OTOH, I can say there is no life elsewhere as I think God would've told us if he created life, especially moral life, elsewhere in the universe. The universe was created for us to explore with new technology and realize the wonder of God and His power. The Bible leads me to believe that there is no other life elsewhere, even a microbe. The universe's purpose is to tell us the wonder and power of God. The JWST shows us that God created a mature universe throughout. You can't find a budding heavenly body anywhere so that disproves evolution, i.e. no Big Bang.
When you can actually prove there gods exist by bringing one to my house let me know

When you can actually prove there gods exist by bringing one to my house let me know
There's no need for me to go. It's up to you. God would gladly go to your house, but again, you have to prove it to yourself by having faith first.

what have they faith in, books of forgeries and fallacies written for expressed purposes to deceive those who read them -

would be far better to trust their natural faith through their own experiences than those engineered by the desert religions.

Your time in this life is finite, and when you come to the end of it, you will have your proof.
As is yours, and as will you. Except we'll both just be dead so it won't matter. Only, I won't have wasted my time believing and promoting a bunch of deliberately unverifiable crap for decades.
There's no need for me to go. It's up to you. God would gladly go to your house, but again, you have to prove it to yourself by having faith first.
Great, you have "faith." So next time this "God" gladly pops over, do everyone a big favor and snap a picture or record a video. Grab a matched hair sample or fingerprints at least. Simples. Prove "He" exists or kindly stfu already.

I exist. My talking to you provides sufficient public evidence of that for now. And you exist. I have no logical reason to doubt that, even though we've never knowingly met in person. But faith has nothing to do with it. I understand the actual limits and complexities of the technology well enough to empirically deduce it, as do you, I'm sure.

I "prove" or demonstrate my lack of "faith" regularly by begging "God. God? God! If you exist, please strike me dead this instant?!" Or is that praying? This gets so confusing. Anyway, all I ever get is crickets... in response. Your "God" is neither a cricket nor crickets, correct? I'll try again:

God. God? God! If you exist, please strike me dead this instant?!

And.. nothin'.. I try. I really do. Now it's your turn. Prove your "faith" is well placed. Repeat after me:

God. God? God! I absolutely believe in you. Have for a long, long time now.. in our years anyway.. as I'm sure you're well aware. Show me a particular sign. Please strike Grumblenuts dead this instant!

If that works, I'll let you know.. by never returning.. Good Luck!

As is yours, and as will you. Except we'll both just be dead so it won't matter. Only, I won't have wasted my time believing and promoting a bunch of deliberately unverifiable crap for decades.
It is verifiable. One has to start with faith. We have Jesus as history, too.

Great, you have "faith." So next time this "God" gladly pops over, do everyone a big favor and snap a picture or record a video. Grab a matched hair sample or fingerprints at least. Simples. Prove "He" exists or kindly stfu already.
He pops up, but is invisible as spirit. He also doesn't reside in the universe anymore because of sin, so he comes only as spirit. It isn't an actual being that I see. It's more internal discussion.

You disbelieving is showing. You won't ever know that way in this life.

I "prove" or demonstrate my lack of "faith" regularly by begging "God. God? God! If you exist, please strike me dead this instant?!" Or is that praying? This gets so confusing. Anyway, all I ever get is crickets... in response. Your "God" is neither a cricket nor crickets, correct? I'll try again:

God. God? God! If you exist, please strike me dead this instant?!
God mostly doesn't work that way, strike you down in an instant, but will grant your wish one day. You'll have to be patient and I'll have to put up with your disbelief and sarcasm but you may stop posting tomorrow and give us all a thrill.

Your time in this life is finite, and when you come to the end of it, you will have your proof.

the idea is to free your spirit before your physiology expires - so you do not expire with it ... grumblenut, a good example of the finite.

Forum List

Back