The politics of Germany's call for burka curbs

pwjohn

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Buttlick Kentucky
Hope it works out for them.

The politics of Germany's call for burka curbs - BBC News

If Germany's interior minister has his way, Muslim women will be banned from covering their faces in nurseries, schools and universities, in public offices and courts and while driving.

Thomas de Maiziere has stopped short of proposing a complete ban. It is widely accepted that to totally ban the burka would violate Germany's constitution, which fiercely upholds the right to religious freedom.

Nevertheless, the minister said he and his fellow conservatives completely opposed the burka or, for that matter, any other full face veil.

"It doesn't fit into our open society," said Mr de Maiziere.

"Showing your face is fundamental for communication, for the cohesion of our society."

It seems to me that business establishments----whether mercantile or dining or entertainment SHOULD have the right
to ban face veils----for the sake of securit

I'm wondering if we would tolerate a religion that commanded that women be bound and gagged while in public. Maybe we would. Maybe the Left is THAT sick.

It seems to me that business establishments----whether mercantile or dining or entertainment SHOULD have the right
to ban face veils----for the sake of securit
Or burkas, since they have been proven to be handy for hiding a suicide bomb...

All of Europe needs to have a ban, it's a way to slowly erode Islamic extremism.

Berlin (AFP) - Germany's interior minister on Friday proposed partially banning the full-face burqa Islamic veil, as a debate on integration rages after two jihadist attacks and ahead of key state elections.

The call by Thomas de Maiziere comes as Chancellor Angela Merkel's government attempts to address public fears surrounding last year's record influx of nearly 1.1 million migrants and refugees, most from predominantly Muslim countries.

It also echoed a controversial decision by several French towns in recent weeks to outlaw burkinis, the full-body Islamic swimsuit, at a highly sensitive time for relations with the Muslim community following a series of Islamist attacks.

De Maiziere, one of Merkel's closest allies, said after a meeting with regional counterparts from his conservative bloc that the burqa ban would cover "places where it is necessary for our society's coexistence" including government offices, schools and universities, courtrooms, demonstrations and behind the wheel.

He told reporters that the full-face veil "does not belong in our cosmopolitan country", adding that it was "not a security issue but an integration issue".
Germany proposes burqa ban in public places

Small Government Conservatives standing up for women's rights

This is blaming the burkha and the burkhini for the failure of those nations to work on TRUE assimilation and tolerance. You gonna priests and rabbis and Africans from wearing robes and hats on the streets? It's a FEEL GOOD measure to FORCE assimilation, rather than address the fundamental issue of asserting secular law and integration into their societies and adhering to their values of tolerance and freedom..

Those women have a choice. Because of where they live. And they CHOOSE to dress culturally appropriate. The fact is --- ANYONE that FORCES them to do that is the problem. Not the women themselves. The appropriate response is a protection order against their families or husband if there IS coercion involved.

We better NOT make all of the all of the mistakes that the Euros have made. I'm sympathetic to that. But this "afterthought" and crazy reaction is just as bad.

Terrible idea. ........ :cool:

Wonderful idea. The West and the burqa do not mix.

Europe can do whatever it want but if you think for a moment something like that will be allowed here in the states, well think again...

No, there will in no way be any kind of ban here. Islamic extremism will flourish.

Sure it will...

I mean look how Communism has flourished along with Mormonism and Paganism... The fear and hysteria of a minority religion in this part of the world should be hilarious to me but the sad part is the blokes in this part of the world keep on making the same stupid assumption about everything with their fear at hand...

Oh and seeing you believe a ban should be ( don't deny it ) then remember what you do onto another religion can be do onto your religion, so watch what you wish for because the Devil just might grant it to see you suffer...

Forum List

Back