The equal pay for women debate is Washington BS!

Equal pay for EQUAL WORK.....

If your experience makes you more valuable....then you get paid more..... but new women truck drivers should not be paid less than New men truck drivers with no experience....just because they are female.

Have we seen recent evidence of this occurring? I can't be in union jobs because all those records are easily scrutinized. All of the hoopla being brought to this argument is based on studies, as I stated above, with serious flaws in methodology.

White rightwing men keep saying there are serious flaws in methodology or those problems are illusory. Yet all evidence is that women make 77 cents for every dollar men make. But no doubt white male conclusively assertions salve their consciences and egos.
Wage Gap Myth Exposed -- By Feminists Christina Hoff Sommers

If you believe women suffer systemic wage discrimination, read the new American Association of University Women (AAUW) study Graduating to a Pay Gap. Bypass the verbal sleights of hand and take a hard look at the numbers. Women are close to achieving the goal of equal pay for equal work. They may be there already.

SO are you saying the AAUW is comprised of White conservative men?

There's nothing to debate.

Equal pay for equal work, across the board, for everyone.

That isn't the argument. The argument is that people complaining about a pay gap are using fudged numbers, either making broad categories that cover work that is not equal in skill or required training, or not accounting for experience and time in trade.
There is still a gap...

Women Can't Get Equal Pay in Finance No Matter What They Do

Women have yet to close the wage gap, even when they have similar jobs to their male counterparts. That's especially true on Wall Street. Last year, women who graduated from business school and took jobs in financial services earned an average of $21,872 less than male MBAs, according to data collected by Bloomberg Business. Drilling down into the numbers shows part of that discrepancy is explained by differences in the type of finance companies that hired women, but a gap persisted even when women worked in similar sub-sectors of finance as men.​

MBA"s are a poor qualitative comparison because the MBA is usually gotten by people of varying previous experience and backgrounds. So even if people graduated the same year with an MBA, they may get paid very differently based on their initial degree, and work experience prior to getting an MBA.
What evidence do you have that men acquiring MBA's have more work experience than women ... ?

If your experience makes you more valuable....then you get paid more..... but new women truck drivers should not be paid less than New men truck drivers with no experience....just because they are female.

Have we seen recent evidence of this occurring? I can't be in union jobs because all those records are easily scrutinized. All of the hoopla being brought to this argument is based on studies, as I stated above, with serious flaws in methodology.

White rightwing men keep saying there are serious flaws in methodology or those problems are illusory. Yet all evidence is that women make 77 cents for every dollar men make. But no doubt white male conclusively assertions salve their consciences and egos.

If you believe women suffer systemic wage discrimination, read the new American Association of University Women (AAUW) study Graduating to a Pay Gap. Bypass the verbal sleights of hand and take a hard look at the numbers. Women are close to achieving the goal of equal pay for equal work. They may be there already.

The numbers indicate women make $0.78 on the dollar compared to men...

By the Numbers A Look at the Gender Pay Gap AAUW Empowering Women Since 1881

The numbers indicate women make $0.78 on the dollar compared to men...

By the Numbers A Look at the Gender Pay Gap AAUW Empowering Women Since 1881

Only if you do not factor in relevant data

The AAUW researchers looked at male and female college graduates one year after graduation. After controlling for several relevant factors (though some were left out, as we shall see), they found that the wage gap narrowed to only 6.6 cents. How much of that is attributable to discrimination? As AAUW spokesperson Lisa Maatz candidly said in an NPR interview, "We are still trying to figure that out.

What the 2009 Labor Department study showed was that when the proper controls are in place, the unexplained (adjusted) wage gap is somewhere between 4.8 and 7 cents. The new AAUW study is consistent with these findings. But isn't the unexplained gap, albeit far less than the endlessly publicized 23 cents, still a serious injustice? Shouldn't we look for ways to compel employers to pay women the extra 5-7 cents? Not before we figure out the cause. The AAUW notes that part of the new 6.6-cent wage-gap may be owed to women's supposedly inferior negotiating skills -- not unscrupulous employers. Furthermore, the AAUW's 6.6 cents includes some large legitimate wage differences masked by over-broad occupational categories. For example, its researchers count "social science" as one college major and report that, among such majors, women earned only 83 percent of what men earned. That may sound unfair... until you consider that "social science" includes both economics and sociology majors.

Could the gender wage gap turn out to be zero? Probably not. The AAUW correctly notes that there is still evidence of residual bias against women in the workplace. However, with the gap approaching a few cents, there is not a lot of room for discrimination. And as economists frequently remind us, if it were really true that an employer could get away with paying Jill less than Jack for the same work, clever entrepreneurs would fire all their male employees, replace them with females, and enjoy a huge market advantage."

That isn't the argument. The argument is that people complaining about a pay gap are using fudged numbers, either making broad categories that cover work that is not equal in skill or required training, or not accounting for experience and time in trade.
There is still a gap...

Women have yet to close the wage gap, even when they have similar jobs to their male counterparts. That's especially true on Wall Street. Last year, women who graduated from business school and took jobs in financial services earned an average of $21,872 less than male MBAs, according to data collected by Bloomberg Business. Drilling down into the numbers shows part of that discrepancy is explained by differences in the type of finance companies that hired women, but a gap persisted even when women worked in similar sub-sectors of finance as men.​

MBA"s are a poor qualitative comparison because the MBA is usually gotten by people of varying previous experience and backgrounds. So even if people graduated the same year with an MBA, they may get paid very differently based on their initial degree, and work experience prior to getting an MBA.
What evidence do you have that men acquiring MBA's have more work experience than women ... ?

What evidence is there that this is not a contributing factor? I'm not the one who did the study, I'm just pointing out another unknown that could invalidate the results.

I will take women seriously about equality when they start seriously fornicating us into serious relationships for free when us guys don't have any money, simply because women claim they cannot handle uncommitted sex and want serious relationships. And, it has to be for free, free chics. :p

I will take women seriously about equality when they start seriously fornicating us into serious relationships for free when us guys don't have any money, simply because women claim they cannot handle uncommitted sex and want serious relationships. And, it has to be for free, free chics. :p

Sorry, I thought you had a moral clue and a moral Cause as well. I really am advocating the potential holiness through that form of morality--through a moral of True witness bearing instead of False witness bearing (as is the wont for "endorsers" of Lord Satan's reign on Earth).

After all, only floozy's lie to us and let us miss our turn :p

Sorry, I thought you had a moral clue and a moral Cause as well. I really am advocating the potential holiness through that form of morality--through a moral of True witness bearing instead of False witness bearing (as is the wont for "endorsers" of Lord Satan's reign on Earth).

Daniel,

It is very important that you see your doctor at the earliest possible time and resume your medication. I know that there are certain things that seem very real, but you're a bit confused. It's okay, it's not your fault. The doctor can help you. We all need help sometimes.

Daniel,

It is very important that you see your doctor at the earliest possible time and resume your medication. I know that there are certain things that seem very real, but you're a bit confused. It's okay, it's not your fault. The doctor can help you. We all need help sometimes.

Don't worry, I already have a recommendation for a palliative for exogenous cognitive dissonance. I verify its effects every day by resorting to the fewest fallacies in public venues, with those of the opposing view. :p

Daniel,

Don't worry, I already have a recommendation for a palliative for exogenous cognitive dissonance. I verify its effects every day by resorting to the fewest fallacies in public venues, with those of the opposing view. :p

I'm being serious.

There is still a gap...

What evidence is there that this is not a contributing factor? I'm not the one who did the study, I'm just pointing out another unknown that could invalidate the results.
Without facts to back your assertions, you're fling shit, hoping it will stick.

Many reasons women SEEM to earn less. From less aggressive negotiations for compensation, to false comparisons of employement (just because you're both CEOs and the woman earns less doesn't mean it's discriminatory if the woman's company is WORTH much less,) to pay averaged over some span of time where the woman took time off for family and such.

If there was actual discrimination, you could sue. And the discrimination wouldn't exist. If you're not sueing, then there isn't discrimination but the media depicts it as though there was.

One of the most telling findings I ever came across was in self employment. Women who owned businesses paid themselves less than men who owned businesses. The women instead prioritized flexibility and quality of life over longer hours and higher pay rates.

You can't rightly claim discrimination when a woman is choosing her own pay rate.

That's a meaningless phrase. What constitutes equal work? And what if the person doesn't want/need equal pay? A secondary earner in a 2 income family will not need and would be satisfied at a lower pay rate than a main earner. So why would it make sense to pay a person willing to take less "equal pay"?

If a particular job in your company gets around $40,000/year, and you have an applicant who asks for $30,000, it would be stupid to offer them more. If s/he is happy with $30k, give him/her $30k. That is, by definition, fair, since it's what is asked for. To pay more on some vague principle of abstract fairness is ridiculous and patronizing.
I disagree.....no woman in her right mind would say, I know the job pays 40k but please pay me just 30k....I'll be happy with 10k less.....

Maybe at the CEO level she may be willing to do the job for 50 million vs 60 million for the male version......but I even doubt that Pinqy...

I contend that NO ONE is HAPPY being paid much less for the exact same work!!!

If the job offers a pay range, women are more willing to accept the lower end of that range while men are more likely to demand the higher end of that range.

There is still a gap...

Without facts to back your assertions, you're fling shit, hoping it will stick.

The people who believe in these studies should be able to answer these questions, you know, to defend the point they are trying to make.

The burden of proof is on the people who believe in what the study says.

Daniel,

I'm being serious.

Look at it this way; how seriously can I take someone who I already know, is more full of fallacy than myself?

Daniel,

I'm being serious.

Look at it this way; how seriously can I take someone who I already know, is more full of fallacy than myself?

I don't know. You should go talk to someone who is fully of fallacy and find out.

Daniel,

I'm being serious.

I don't know. You should go talk to someone who is fully of fallacy and find out.
I already have :p

How about equal education, equal time at that company, etc. There's just to many factors to consider before you condemn men.

This debate is a huge fucking power grab.

Men tend to work longer hours, they tend to have more experience in their industry, they tend to be willing to take more dangerous work, and tend to have greater flexibility of hours.

These issues would obviously factor in.

Forum List

Back