The Disaster Area of American Public Education

I'm sure there are very good teachers in the Army too, every industry has good and not so good and bad....
Two teachers were brought into a math class that I took in the Army. The purpose was to present the subject in slightly different ways. The second teacher opened my understanding better than the first did. Pretty smart of them.

It was never suggested implicitly or explicitly to me.
A Catholic and a Protestant would be unequal in doctrine and dogma even though both are "Christian". There are also deep divisions within denominations, Lutheran 'synods' for example.

Your second response contradicts your first, and supports my assertion.
That's wrong. Off the top of my head, Baltimore has a 72% graduation rate. Baltimore also has 40% of students with failing grades. Therefore, yes, some students ARE graduating essentially for showing up.

That's wrong. Off the top of my head, Baltimore has a 72% graduation rate. Baltimore also has 40% of students with failing grades. Therefore, yes, some students ARE graduating essentially for showing up.
The schools have to pass them on and graduate them, otherwise they'll pile up and clog up the whole system.

A Catholic and a Protestant would be unequal in doctrine and dogma even though both are "Christian". There are also deep divisions within denominations, Lutheran 'synods' for example.
And was it ever suggested to you that you could not marry someone of another faith?

And was it ever suggested to you that you could not marry someone of another faith?

"Marry in haste, repent in leisure." :(

A simple look at the divorce rate confirms that our differences divide us, especially in marriage.

"Marry in haste, repent in leisure." :(

A simple look at the divorce rate confirms that our differences divide us, especially in marriage.
It confirms that marriage takes effort, and generations have been raised to believe that anything requiring effort and sacrifice is "unfair" and an "aggression." The far left has worked long and hard to make marriage seem like a long date that can and should be walked away from before dessert if you so much as get a little inconvenienced.

You mean my explanation, don't you? ;)

This article reveals the problem if these kids are held back, just do the numbers.

What do they ever do to help kids find something that they want to read? I met a high school teacher who was disappointed because she couldn't get her students to read Harry Potter. She liked Harry Potter so everyone is supposed to. I would have thought she was an idiot when I was 10.

What do they ever do to help kids find something that they want to read? I met a high school teacher who was disappointed because she couldn't get her students to read Harry Potter. She liked Harry Potter so everyone is supposed to. I would have thought she was an idiot when I was 10.
1670531812217.png

Absolutely. As soon as we knew how to read the teacher turned us loose in the library. All she asked was for us to write a 'Book Report' on what we'd read. Same in HS. We had regular 'library' periods where we could peruse the stacks to our hearts content.

However, the point of the article was the widespread failure of the system to effectively teach kids how to read, never mind not providing more appealing reading material.

Last edited:
It confirms that marriage takes effort, and generations have been raised to believe that anything requiring effort and sacrifice is "unfair" and an "aggression." The far left has worked long and hard to make marriage seem like a long date that can and should be walked away from before dessert if you so much as get a little inconvenienced.
In my own case no amount of effort would have saved our marriage. Divorce was a blessed relief for both of us. My sister divorced an emotionally abusive man and went on to find the love of her life.

You seem to have an opinion about the military teaching method without (apparently) having any experience with it. What else am I to conclude?

And what makes you think I don't have any experience with "military teaching method"?

Was I even talking about the "military teaching method"?

No, I was not. So essentially you tried to get me to not talk about this subject because you think the only thing important is how the military teaches.

The reality is the military functions in a certain way. It's a professional volunteer armed forces made up of adults. Teaching those who are willing, teaching those who are being paid, teaching those who are adults.

How would this translate to teaching kids who don't care, don't want the be there and are being forced to be there?

I've taught adults, I've taught adults who were highly motivated, I've taught adults who didn't want to be there. I've taught adults who'd do their homework, and adults who'd have an excuse for not having done their homework.

What are you to conclude when you have no information? Nothing, you don't conclude. You can ask questions, but jumping to a bullshit conclusion that isn't based on reality is ridiculous and does not help your argument at all.

The Bible teaches to love the sinner, hate the sin.

The Bible teaches not to be "unequally yoked" to another. Believers should marry believers.

The Bible teaches, "Whatever your hand finds to do (your occupation) do it with all your might".

The Bible speaks to spirit-led people, not to unbelievers.

The Bible teaches whatever the people using the Bible want it to say.

List of countries by intentional homicide. Top 38 countries (or areas) on this list are Christian. Then Iraq which was invaded by a Christian country and had a puppet govt put in place by the Christians, then you get down to 53rd before the next non-Christian country.
What does this say about what is being taught? I'd say that Christianity led to Human Rights, led to freedoms, but this has also led to a lot of places having high crime rates. God will forgive you no matter what is a powerful message that no other religion seems to have.

Do right wing Christians hate the sin of homosexuality and adultery? Sure.
Do right wing Christians love the sinners of homosexuality and adultery? Well, they love Trump, but they hate gays. So how's that teaching going? Not very well.

Do all Christians work hard? I mean, there are people moaning about certain sections of society being lazy, and those sections of society are often Christian.
So the Bible doesn't bother with people who aren't "spirit-led"? I'd disagree. The Christian Churches, especially the Catholic Church, went around the world pushing their religion on other people. Africa, the Americas, Australasia, Asia, all over they pushed it. Did they care if they were "spirit-led"? Nope. I had Christianity forced on me as a kid. Didn't make any sense to me, it was just the most boring parts of my early childhood.

Two teachers were brought into a math class that I took in the Army. The purpose was to present the subject in slightly different ways. The second teacher opened my understanding better than the first did. Pretty smart of them.

So, do you think that's going to be feasible in a public school? Do you think that the sort of teacher who opened your understanding much better is going to work in a downtrodden inner city school with kids who don't care, or a private school with well behaved students and a larger pay packet?
My high school had an excellent principle. He gained national attention. As soon as he got that, he was off to the private school system to earn more money. Capitalism.

Forum List

Back