The Disaster Area of American Public Education

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh

While Leftists continually discount the value of standardized test scores, the reality is that these measures are the only credible way of assessing the performance of American K-12 schools. Not all students take the ACT or SAT, so statistically speaking they are not necessarily representative of all public school students, but the data are depressing nevertheless.

And they suck.

The linked article makes the predictable case that much of the current negative blip is attributable to the Pandemic - or more accurately, the State schools' irrational response to the Pandemic - but private and parochial schools heroically managed to carry on. Perversely, there is no data indicating that THOSE students or their family members suffered any ill effects (literally) from the kids going to school during the Pandemic.

As individual parents, one need not despair about the dreadful state of American public schools generally. You can move to a neighborhood with good academics, or enroll your kid is whatever classes are available for students who want "a little bit more" education for their tax dollars, or simply be a good parent and make the most of the situation. "School choice" measures might work in your favor where they are allowed to exist.

The Democrat solution to situations like this - played out all over America if you look closely - is to lower the standards to make everyone look better. I wonder that the [unconstitutional] Department of Education could do, other than throw barrels of money at the problem.

Scores fell after kids were kept out of school for a year. That is no surprise.

Private schools did not stay open.

Something else to "thank' the dems for.

dnc.jpg

While Leftists continually discount the value of standardized test scores, the reality is that these measures are the only credible way of assessing the performance of American K-12 schools.
Any form of tests simply indicates how well students will adapt to the rat race.
1666888931947.png

Last edited:
You Were Never Meant to Learn

Why haven't we had a publicly available K-12 list for parents and students for decades?

KURRL
K-12 Unschooling Recommended Reading List

Black Beauty by Sewell, Anna

Teach Yourself Electricity and Electronic by Stan Gibilisco

Practical Electronics for Inventors by P. Scherz & S. Monk

Black Man's Burden (1961) by Mack Reynolds
Mack Reynolds on Africa, Islam, utopia, and progress
The Project Gutenberg eBook of Black Man's Burden, by Mack Reynolds.

The Tyranny of Words (1938) by Stuart Chase

The Screwing of the Average Man (1974) by David Hapgood

While Leftists continually discount the value of standardized test scores, the reality is that these measures are the only credible way of assessing the performance of American K-12 schools. Not all students take the ACT or SAT, so statistically speaking they are not necessarily representative of all public school students, but the data are depressing nevertheless.

And they suck.

The linked article makes the predictable case that much of the current negative blip is attributable to the Pandemic - or more accurately, the State schools' irrational response to the Pandemic - but private and parochial schools heroically managed to carry on. Perversely, there is no data indicating that THOSE students or their family members suffered any ill effects (literally) from the kids going to school during the Pandemic.

As individual parents, one need not despair about the dreadful state of American public schools generally. You can move to a neighborhood with good academics, or enroll your kid is whatever classes are available for students who want "a little bit more" education for their tax dollars, or simply be a good parent and make the most of the situation. "School choice" measures might work in your favor where they are allowed to exist.

The Democrat solution to situations like this - played out all over America if you look closely - is to lower the standards to make everyone look better. I wonder that the [unconstitutional] Department of Education could do, other than throw barrels of money at the problem.

I disagree. I worked in Austria, and Austria has a great educational system and does NOT have test scores for the whole country (or at least didn't when I was there).

There are many problems in the USA, most of them are because of the electoral system and the politicians it produces. The education system is one such problem.

The Democrats and Republicans will both have their views on education, they will be aimed, not at improving education in the long run, but at winning votes in the short term.

A country that functions like this is a country that's going to have problems.

So much wrong with the education system. Where to start. Perhaps change the 'mission statement' from,

Advance the global liberal agenda.
to
Develop strong, healthy, educated, moral citizens for the benefit of our own nation.

Last edited:
Start by listing what you think is wrong.
Revisit that post, I edited it.

A look at the current 'report card' strongly suggests that changes are warranted. Perhaps get the direct stakeholders together and discuss it honestly and openly. As such a stakeholder what changes would you like to see?

Last edited:
A list is EXplicit.
If I pitch a list to you, you will just take a swing at each one. That's why I asked you, an insider, for your opinion.

However, briefly, I would eliminate anything that doesn't belong in an educational setting. Kinda like sculpting and elephant. You chip away everything that doesn't look like an elephant.

Forum List

Back