The Big Game, Undefeated Edition: Ohio State vs. Michigan

Mr. Friscus

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2020
Arguably one of the most notorious rivalries in all of sports, up there with Duke vs. North Carolina, Yankees vs. Red Sox, Lakers vs. Celtics... and this year both teams arrive (in Michigan's case limp) into an annual showdown with everything on the line.

Here's the Cliff's Notes:

Ohio State comes off of a close win against Maryland 43-30 (It was 36-30 Maryland's ball until a pick 6 sealed it). They have most of their starters from last year's team, and while they are missing their starting running backs, the 3rd stringer looked just as good if not better.
- Advantages: Better QB and Passing game, Big-Play Offense, More experienced players, Better recruiting.
- Disadvantages: Vulnerable defense

Michigan limps into the game after BARELY squeaking past formerly-ranked Illinois, winning via a game winning FG with a few seconds left 19-17. Their Heisman RB Blake Corum was injured in the first half, and their backup also was out, so like Ohio State, they had a 3rd stringer at RB too. The difference was, Michigan's was completely ineffective as well as dropping passes. Michigan also had their starting big play TE out, their WR2 was out, and their starting Left guard is out. The fill-in WR dropped a TD pass late in the game. Their QB is average at best, and succeeds feeding off of the threat of a Corum running game. Without Corum, he's largely incapable of winning a game for you.
- Advantages: O-Line and Dominant Running Game, maintain possessions, High-ranked Defense.
- Disadvantages: Multiple injuries, few returning starters from last year/lack of depth, Average inaccurate QB.

As a Michigan fan, I knew coming into this game it would be tough given the turnover Michigan had after their domination of Ohio State last year, getting their first win over their rival in a LONG time. At full health I'd have it 60-40 chance of win OSU. Depending on injuries, that could fade to 70-30 or 80-20 OSU. I hope Michigan can get their studs back so they can do give their best shot, and if they lose so be it.

Isn't it bizarre how people can get so wrapped up in a meaningless game between one gang of people you don't know and another gang of people you don't know.

I have several relatives who are rabid Michigan fans - none of them actually went there - and will be doing something extraordinary to watch it with many friends whilst consuming large quantities of fattening stuff and beer. Maybe they will rent out some venue for the event. They seem to be enjoying themselves when this happens, but I obviously don't get it.

May the better team win? Sure, why not?

Isn't it bizarre how people can get so wrapped up in a meaningless game between one gang of people you don't know and another gang of people you don't know.

I have several relatives who are rabid Michigan fans - none of them actually went there - and will be doing something extraordinary to watch it with many friends whilst consuming large quantities of fattening stuff and beer. Maybe they will rent out some venue for the event. They seem to be enjoying themselves when this happens, but I obviously don't get it.

May the better team win? Sure, why not?
What is more bizarre is why someone who doesn't care about the game or the idea of sports at all takes the time to post in a thread about sports, attempting to insinuate some superiority or mocking it.

You're not important. If you aren't interested, go to threads that you can contribute to.

I mean seriously.. explain why you posted here.

Arguably one of the most notorious rivalries in all of sports, up there with Duke vs. North Carolina, Yankees vs. Red Sox, Lakers vs. Celtics... and this year both teams arrive (in Michigan's case limp) into an annual showdown with everything on the line.

Ohio State comes off of a close win against Maryland 43-30 (It was 36-30 Maryland's ball until a pick 6 sealed it). They have most of their starters from last year's team, and while they are missing their starting running backs, the 3rd stringer looked just as good if not better.
- Advantages: Better QB and Passing game, Big-Play Offense, More experienced players, Better recruiting.

Michigan limps into the game after BARELY squeaking past formerly-ranked Illinois, winning via a game winning FG with a few seconds left 19-17. Their Heisman RB Blake Corum was injured in the first half, and their backup also was out, so like Ohio State, they had a 3rd stringer at RB too. The difference was, Michigan's was completely ineffective as well as dropping passes. Michigan also had their starting big play TE out, their WR2 was out, and their starting Left guard is out. The fill-in WR dropped a TD pass late in the game. Their QB is average at best, and succeeds feeding off of the threat of a Corum running game. Without Corum, he's largely incapable of winning a game for you.
- Advantages: O-Line and Dominant Running Game, maintain possessions, High-ranked Defense.
- Disadvantages: Multiple injuries, few returning starters from last year/lack of depth, Average inaccurate QB.

As a Michigan fan, I knew coming into this game it would be tough given the turnover Michigan had after their domination of Ohio State last year, getting their first win over their rival in a LONG time. At full health I'd have it 60-40 chance of win OSU. Depending on injuries, that could fade to 70-30 or 80-20 OSU. I hope Michigan can get their studs back so they can do give their best shot, and if they lose so be it.
It's a crap shoot. Always is.

Questions that are unknowable, is the running back for Michigan injured? Also, what of the running backs of OSU who are injured? All they have left is a freshman who may be prone to fumbling cuz he is a freshman.

Then there was Stroud, the OSU QB limping last game.

What's up with that? No one will say.

Michigan ran over OSU last time they met. Has OSU toughened up on the line?

OSU has not been able to gain a yard running against pretty much anyone this year.

Big game? Meh.

Outside of Ohio State what has the conference produced in the last 20 years. Big Ten football is the past. The SEC and ACC has dominated college football for the last 2 decades.

Big game? Meh.

Outside of Ohio State what has the conference produced in the last 20 years. Big Ten football is the past. The SEC and ACC has dominated college football for the last 2 decades.
It's true that they may as well give Georgia the NC trophy or whichever cookie cutter SEC that takes the trophy torch this year.

It does get old.

Probably another yawner of a game.

It's true that they may as well give Georgia the NC trophy or whichever cookie cutter SEC that takes the trophy torch this year.

It does get old.

Probably another yawner of a game.

It's up to the other teams and conferences to provide some competition.

Big game? Meh.

I largely agree... OSU fans certainly get angry when you point out how superior the SEC has been. As a Michigan fan, I can observe reality.

I don't think Michigan has the horses to run with OSU in decent weather, which they will have in Columbus this year.

I largely agree... OSU fans certainly get angry when you point out how superior the SEC has been. As a Michigan fan, I can observe reality.
Im not an OSU fan but I get the "hatred" of the SEC. I don't get the conference loyalty. If I'm a UF fan I wouldn't get any enjoyment out of Alabama winning a championship. In fact, I would be less upset if USC or OSU won it than someone in my conference. That said the SEC is good but it helps when you get at least 1 and usually 2 teams from your conference in the PO's. It definitely increases your chances of winning it.

Big game? Meh.

ACC? LOL that conference has not dominated. Clemson has a couple of recent titles though. The SEC has by far been the most dominant conference.

ACC? LOL that conference has not dominated. Clemson has a couple of recent titles though. The SEC has by far been the most dominant conference.

Well, I did say the ACC AND the SEC, but the ACC has more titles than the Big 10 in the last 20 years.

Well, I did say the ACC AND the SEC, but the ACC has more titles than the Big 10 in the last 20 years.
3-2. BTW ND has won 28 consecutive vs. the ACC. Over the last 20 years the SEC has 13 titles and 5 different teams, Bama, Auburn, LSU, Florida and Georgia all wining titles. That's dominat.

Clemson (3) has more titles than the Big Ten (Ohio State 2) in the last 20 years.
The ACC has hardly "dominated college football for the last 2 decades."

Clemson (3) has more titles than the Big Ten (Ohio State 2) in the last 20 years.
The ACC has hardly "dominated college football for the last 2 decades."
Clemson has 2 and FSU 1 in the last 20 years. Miami won their last title for the 2001 season (game was played in 2002) and they were in the Big East not the ACC.

Clemson has 2 and FSU 1 in the last 20 years. Miami won their last title for the 2001 season (game was played in 2002) and they were in the Big East not the ACC.
Yep, you are correct (forgot about FSU in 2013). Still, as a Conference the ACC is behind the Big Ten over the last 20 years in terms of overall strength. And, as you noted, both are behind the SEC.

Im not an OSU fan but I get the "hatred" of the SEC. I don't get the conference loyalty. If I'm a UF fan I wouldn't get any enjoyment out of Alabama winning a championship. In fact, I would be less upset if USC or OSU won it than someone in my conference. That said the SEC is good but it helps when you get at least 1 and usually 2 teams from your conference in the PO's. It definitely increases your chances of winning it.
College Football is a clusterf*ck as it is... contracts and obligations have tangled these conferences despite the clear need to re-organize, all while the most useless organization in sports, the NCAA, profits.

From what I understand, the college football playoffs go from 4 teams to 12 in 2026, and that may be a bandaid on the problem, as you can have a fair shot at the playoff without having to deal with big or selective program bias.

Rest, rest, rest. And watch the tape of what unranked Maryland did to keep it so close. Do that. Because you know OSU is going to be watching the tapes to see what unranked Illinois did to almost beat us.

Run the ball. Control the clock. Go Blue!

Rest, rest, rest. And watch the tape of what unranked Maryland did to keep it so close. Do that. Because you know OSU is going to be watching the tapes to see what unranked Illinois did to almost beat us.

Run the ball. Control the clock. Go Blue!
Maryland had Tua's little bro throwing dimes.

OSU's defense is vulnerable, but we need our O-line healthy and Corum pounding the ball to low-distance 3rd downs to take pressure off our average to below average QB McCarthy.

OSU's offense is a juggernaut once it gets rolling. Michigan can play defense on offense by, as you said, keeping the ball and controlling the clock, keeping the OSU offense on the sideline and cold.

Forum List

Back