The Benefit of Having Enemies

Dhara

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2015
A Buddhist practice I enjoy is one called "Friends, enemies and strangers".

We cannot practice patience any other way than to have enemies who oppose our happiness.

"Enemies" in Buddhism are loosely defined as those who oppose us, who seek to hurt us.

They demand and require our patience and kindness.

Discuss.

American style Christianity has far too few proponents of this, we'd rather pistol whip ours into submission.

Looking at how people become our friends, enemies, or strangers. We judge a person as friend, when they support us. As an enemy when they oppose us and neutrally when we don't know if they support or oppose us.

We think that how a person appears to us is who they are inherently, from their own side. Yet, people we think of as enemies, have friends and are loveable. So the category of enemy is not fixed or solid. It changes all the time.

We should make an effort especially to actually talk to people whom we have bias against. We need to learn to have a positive, kind regard even for those who wish ill on us or our family.

Strangers are just friends or enemies you haven't met yet. Honest friends are not afraid to oppose your happiness in order to protect or help you in the long term. Enemies can sometimes be only in your mind and in reality, not enemies.

What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!" - Conan

Looking at how people become our friends, enemies, or strangers. We judge a person as friend, when they support us. As an enemy when they oppose us and neutrally when we don't know if they support or oppose us.

We think that how a person appears to us is who they are inherently, from their own side. Yet, people we think of as enemies, have friends and are loveable. So the category of enemy is not fixed or solid. It changes all the time.

We should make an effort especially to actually talk to people whom we have bias against. We need to learn to have a positive, kind regard even for those who wish ill on us or our family.

Yeah, we all should, but this society isn't all that healthy at the moment and the power structure actually promotes and benefits from our fracturing into tribal identities. Goes all the way back to Bacon's Rebellion, at least.

Strangers are just friends or enemies you haven't met yet. Honest friends are not afraid to oppose your happiness in order to protect or help you in the long term. Enemies can sometimes be only in your mind and in reality, not enemies.

What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!" - Conan
Enemies test our patience.

Enemies test our patience.

...and offer an opportunity to quote Conan... :)

We cannot practice patience any other way than to have enemies who oppose our happiness.

"Enemies" in Buddhism are loosely defined as those who oppose us, who seek to hurt us.

Discuss.
I would be a horrible Buddhist.

Discuss.
I'm pretty bad at being patient.

They say the REWARD of practicing patience, IS patience.

I have patience for children, not for bigots.

Discuss.

Me too but as a Crusader I would have excelled

Someone who disagrees with me or dislikes me is opposing my happiness? I don't know about that. I sure don't consider these non friends as enemies. It seems to me, there are plenty of chances to practice patience and such when those we love do annoying things.

Someone who is trying to hurt me generally doesn't deserve notice, much less effort. I guess I'm not big on labeling someone an enemy.

Chalk up another horrible Buddhist.

Yeah, we all should, but this society isn't all that healthy at the moment and the power structure actually promotes and benefits from our fracturing into tribal identities. Goes all the way back to Bacon's Rebellion, at least.
Shall we just throw up and quit, then, as an old friend of mine used to say?

Naw,, we keep on trying and maybe we make a tiny bit of progress.

Someone who disagrees with me or dislikes me is opposing my happiness? I don't know about that. I sure don't consider these non friends as enemies. It seems to me, there are plenty of chances to practice patience and such when those we love do annoying things.

Someone who is trying to hurt me generally doesn't deserve notice, much less effort. I guess I'm not big on labeling someone an enemy.

Oh goodie. Another patience teacher

Nah. Quitting just let's "enemies" win or something. Throwing up is messy and leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

Oh goodie. Another patience teacher
Patience teacher? Sounds like you are attempting to oppose my happiness. Are you looking to be my enemy?

Last edited:

I tried ignoring an enemy once, and ended up losing a good job over it; it was a new boss. Sometimes you can't ignore the one who's gunning for you, I learned too late.

Forum List

Back