Texas Judge Almost Blocked From Voting Because Of New Voter ID Law

ClosedCaption

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2010
Texas Judge Almost Blocked From Voting Because Of New Voter ID Law | ThinkProgress

A Texas district judge who has been voting for the past five decades was almost barred from the polls Tuesday, thanks to the state’s newly implemented, stricter voter ID law. The law kicked in on Tuesday as early voting in Texas’ November 5 election began.

As she told local channel Kiii News, 117th District Court Judge Sandra Watts was flagged for possible voter fraud because her driver’s license lists her maiden name as her middle name, while her voter registration form has her real middle name. This was the first time she has ever had a problem voting in 49 years. “What I have used for voter registration and for identification for the last 52 years was not sufficient yesterday when I went to vote,” she said.

Watts worried that women who use maiden names or hyphenated names may be surprised at the polls. “I don’t think most women know that this is going to create a problem,” the judge said. “That their maiden name is on their driver’s license, which was mandated in 1964 when I got married, and this. And so why would I want to use a provisional ballot when I’ve been voting regular ballot for the last 49 years?”

Many married women do not update their IDs after taking their spouse’s surnames, as the process is arduous and costly. Women must present original documents verifying their name change, such as a marriage license, or pay $20 to obtain new copies. Under the new voter ID law, these women are potential voter fraud risks.

Watts is hardly the only woman who has encountered problems. ThinkProgress’ Scott Keyes interviewed 84-year-old Dorothy Card, who was denied a voter ID three times even though she has voted for more than 60 years and provided extensive proof of identity.

While Watts, as an experienced judge, is familiar with the intricacies of election law, the people most likely to be stopped at the polls will be less informed about their rights. Low-income voters, minorities, students and seniors disproportionately lack the required identification — a fact that prompted the Justice Department and several federal judges to block the law under now-defunct provisions in the Voting Rights Act. After public outcry, Texas officials said they would distribute a free voter ID to eligible recipients who applied for one. As of this week, however, just 41 people received free IDs, out of the 1.4 million Texas voters who lack the required documents.

Original Story here:
Voter ID Law May Cause Problems for Women Using Maiden Names - KiiiTV3.com South Texas, Corpus Christi, Coastal Bend

Republicans response: Stop bitching and jump through these new hoops we created.

Cant Jump? Too bad

Didn't know about the new hoops? Too Bad

You've been voting no problem? Too bad...jump

'Merica!

Texas Judge Almost Blocked From Voting Because Of New Voter ID Law | ThinkProgress

A Texas district judge who has been voting for the past five decades was almost barred from the polls Tuesday, thanks to the state’s newly implemented, stricter voter ID law. The law kicked in on Tuesday as early voting in Texas’ November 5 election began.

As she told local channel Kiii News, 117th District Court Judge Sandra Watts was flagged for possible voter fraud because her driver’s license lists her maiden name as her middle name, while her voter registration form has her real middle name. This was the first time she has ever had a problem voting in 49 years. “What I have used for voter registration and for identification for the last 52 years was not sufficient yesterday when I went to vote,” she said.

Watts worried that women who use maiden names or hyphenated names may be surprised at the polls. “I don’t think most women know that this is going to create a problem,” the judge said. “That their maiden name is on their driver’s license, which was mandated in 1964 when I got married, and this. And so why would I want to use a provisional ballot when I’ve been voting regular ballot for the last 49 years?”

Many married women do not update their IDs after taking their spouse’s surnames, as the process is arduous and costly. Women must present original documents verifying their name change, such as a marriage license, or pay $20 to obtain new copies. Under the new voter ID law, these women are potential voter fraud risks.

Watts is hardly the only woman who has encountered problems. ThinkProgress’ Scott Keyes interviewed 84-year-old Dorothy Card, who was denied a voter ID three times even though she has voted for more than 60 years and provided extensive proof of identity.

While Watts, as an experienced judge, is familiar with the intricacies of election law, the people most likely to be stopped at the polls will be less informed about their rights. Low-income voters, minorities, students and seniors disproportionately lack the required identification — a fact that prompted the Justice Department and several federal judges to block the law under now-defunct provisions in the Voting Rights Act. After public outcry, Texas officials said they would distribute a free voter ID to eligible recipients who applied for one. As of this week, however, just 41 people received free IDs, out of the 1.4 million Texas voters who lack the required documents.

Original Story here:
Voter ID Law May Cause Problems for Women Using Maiden Names - KiiiTV3.com South Texas, Corpus Christi, Coastal Bend

Republicans response: Stop bitching and jump through these new hoops we created.

Cant Jump? Too bad

'Merica!

OMG I HAZ TO UPDATE MY IDEEEZ!!!

Just like when you move. so so tough.

am I supposed to feel sorry that the judge ( sic!) has not read the law and did not realize her ID do not match?

and I suppose that particular judge did not have any problem providing her real and proper IDs while signing up for Medicare? or when she was applying for the law school?

so what's the problem with proving her identity when voting?

am I supposed to feel sorry that the judge ( sic!) has not read the law and did not realize her ID do not match?

and I suppose that particular judge did not have any problem providing her real and proper IDs while signing up for Medicare? or when she was applying for the law school?

I think she should be feeling pretty foolish about now.

Many married women do not update their IDs after taking their spouse’s surnames, as the process is arduous and costly.

I really LOVE this LIE.

costly :lol: 25$ it costs in my state.
and all it takes is a trip to the DMV

the dimocraps lies never stop.
and if one needt the new ID so they can apply for foodstamps they won't consider it "arduous and costly" just quickly go and do it

this is all false "outrage" or the dimocrap scum lies.

she voted on a provisional ballot.

this is all false "outrage" or the dimocrap scum lies.

she voted on a provisional ballot.

So her rights were not violated one iota?

Wow. I thought voter ID was the end of democracy as we know it.

/sarcasm.

We've been doing this in Florida for decades.

Florida uses an Alpha-Numeric Identification (Letters have numeric equivalents) number on our driver's licenses so that your name IS your DL Number (and your date of birth is in there too [year + Caesarean]).

And a woman's maiden name is always used as her middle name IF she gets married in Florida.

If, however, she is already married and moves to Florida, then she will usually keep whatever middle name is listed on her current DL. Usually.

Amazing how many people would stop in my office without their DL number and I had to "Alpha" for it. Married women could be difficult sometimes.

But we have no problems with Voter ID down here.

The problem is that stupid people don't bother to get their names straight.

Just like, in Florida the first Initial of your last name is always the first figure on your DL number.

Typical dimocrap last name of "dumbass" then his DL number will start out DXXX-XXX-XX-XXX.

But a lot of females think they're cute and want to hyphenate their last names to include... Whatever. Usually their maiden name.

So if their maiden name was Smith and their married name is Jones, they'll hyphenate it and call themselves Suzy Smith-Jones not realizing that the hyphenation makes their last name Smith.... Not Jones.... Or Smith-Jones, more accurately.

When they find out, they have to jump through a few hoops, but it's pretty easy to fix. Just a little time consuming.

What puzzles me is that I know all these things, and now you do too. Even though I wouldn't blame you for not knowing......

I WOULD blame a Judge, however.

I think she should be required to get "DUMBASS" tattooed on her forehead before she returns to the Bench.

It would save the people of Texas a lot of time.

Original Story here:

Cant Jump? Too bad

'Merica!

Except they aren't moving. Thanks, you confirmed number 1 as your answer as predicted. Too Bad

Many married women do not update their IDs after taking their spouse’s surnames, as the process is arduous and costly.

I really LOVE this LIE.

costly :lol: 25$ it costs in my state.
and all it takes is a trip to the DMV

the dimocraps lies never stop.
and if one needt the new ID so they can apply for foodstamps they won't consider it "arduous and costly" just quickly go and do it

More hoops....

Just $25....

Just a trip to the DMV...Actually Repubs now love the DMV for its efficiency *wink wink*

Just have to bring Papers too

Jump jump jump

Last edited:
Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. Get back to us when it actually blocks someone from voting.

i never changed my name.....no one should ever change their names....simple as that.....

but yea the gop sucks and i hope will pay for all this mid term elections

Original Story here:

Cant Jump? Too bad

'Merica!

Except they aren't moving. Thanks, you confirmed number 1 as your answer as predicted. Too Bad

They changed something that is not on thier ID and did not change it. In NYS you have 10 days to inform the DMV of the change and may get a new liscense.

If you do not get one, you can still vote on a provisional ballot, and the DMV will confirm the correct information.

No loss of rights. Again progressives make mountains our of anthills.

My parents gave me a middle name that is a family tradition. It is not my maiden name, which is also not my middle name. I have a driver's license that bears it out. I'm voting under my traditional name until the day I die, and a pox on anyone's house who doesn't let me vote because of it.

Americans have little incentive to vote nowadays, when strongarm tactics to favor whoever liberals pick to be the leader by voting 30 times apiece in some areas is done.

Why lose sleep when Congress plays dumb when it comes to controlling voter fraud?

They changed something that is not on thier ID and did not change it. In NYS you have 10 days to inform the DMV of the change and may get a new liscense.

If you do not get one, you can still vote on a provisional ballot, and the DMV will confirm the correct information.

No loss of rights. Again progressives make mountains our of anthills.

Nope just more hoops. Everyone should jump thru hoops to exercise their right to vote

But not gun tho...you shouldn't have to jump thru hoops that's a violation of something right wingers call rights. Something they don't care much about when it comes to voting I see

Forum List

Back