Teacher In Trouble For Ripping Bible

Gem said:
I think that many of you have missed the teachers point entirely.

The message she was trying to get across was why destroying a book is important. She was teaching a novel about the destruction of literature, of ideas...of freedom of thought.

In our world where information is so readily available via books, magazines, newspapers, television, and the internet...it can be damn near impossible for the youth today to comprehend the absolute destruction of an idea.

Burn a copy of "Alice in Wonderland..." The kids could think, "So what? I can buy 100 copies of it on Amazon.com...I can watch the movie...I can go online and read 800 book reviews about it..."

Burn, or tear up a copy of the Bible...and the kids sit forward...they rub the sleepy apathy from their eyes and say:

"hey...wait a minute...you can do that...hey, that bothers me deep inside in a way I might find difficult to talk about...but it sure as hell makes an impression...I DON'T WANT YOU TO DESTROY THAT BOOK....I DON'T WANT YOU TO MESS WITH THAT BOOK BECAUSE THE IDEAS IN IT ARE IMPORTANT TO ME."

THAT was the message she was trying to get across...that destroying a book IS IMPORTANT and can be a horrific, emotional thing.

Her point is proven perfectly by your reactions on this site....but that was her point...she woke her kids up....she bothered them...she took them out of their comfort zone...SHE TAUGHT THEM!!!!

"Farenheit 451" is a book that students should read...should absorb...but in today's society it is hard to get kids to approach an older book with enthusiasm (I'm a teacher, I know). What this teacher did was present her students with a very visceral reason to read the book...and a framework for how to think about the ideas within it. "Were you bothered by my destruction of the Bible??? If so, then examine how some of the characters might feel...examine why the destruction of literature matters...."

The fact that you are upset proves that the book is still a vital piece of literature...the fact that she chose to wake her students up in an interesting and controversial way is a sign that she is a great teacher. Its a shame she has to be put through the ringer like this.

Very well stated. You people should try to see that in a way this teacher was actually reinforcing the sanctity of the Bible by destroying it. You are missing the message entirely. It was a good lesson and you are fools if you do not see this.

Wade

wade said:
The Bible is the "word of God" to you. To me, it's just a bunch of stories designed to teach ethics (rather badly) to people too ignorant to understand principals or philosophy.

I do not advocate angering people with such actions unless they have a good purpose, but I think the teacher in this case did have such a purpose - to elicit an emotional response that would reach a broad audience. What other book could have been destroyed that would have elicited the desired reaction in such a wide segment of the class?

You are just trying to force your sensibilities upon others.

Wade.

I hated my principal in high school - the principles he tried to get across were lessons best taught by experience.

;)

Gem said:
I think that many of you have missed the teachers point entirely.

The message she was trying to get across was why destroying a book is important. She was teaching a novel about the destruction of literature, of ideas...of freedom of thought.

In our world where information is so readily available via books, magazines, newspapers, television, and the internet...it can be damn near impossible for the youth today to comprehend the absolute destruction of an idea.

Burn a copy of "Alice in Wonderland..." The kids could think, "So what? I can buy 100 copies of it on Amazon.com...I can watch the movie...I can go online and read 800 book reviews about it..."

Burn, or tear up a copy of the Bible...and the kids sit forward...they rub the sleepy apathy from their eyes and say:

"hey...wait a minute...you can do that...hey, that bothers me deep inside in a way I might find difficult to talk about...but it sure as hell makes an impression...I DON'T WANT YOU TO DESTROY THAT BOOK....I DON'T WANT YOU TO MESS WITH THAT BOOK BECAUSE THE IDEAS IN IT ARE IMPORTANT TO ME."

THAT was the message she was trying to get across...that destroying a book IS IMPORTANT and can be a horrific, emotional thing.

Her point is proven perfectly by your reactions on this site....but that was her point...she woke her kids up....she bothered them...she took them out of their comfort zone...SHE TAUGHT THEM!!!!

"Farenheit 451" is a book that students should read...should absorb...but in today's society it is hard to get kids to approach an older book with enthusiasm (I'm a teacher, I know). What this teacher did was present her students with a very visceral reason to read the book...and a framework for how to think about the ideas within it. "Were you bothered by my destruction of the Bible??? If so, then examine how some of the characters might feel...examine why the destruction of literature matters...."

The fact that you are upset proves that the book is still a vital piece of literature...the fact that she chose to wake her students up in an interesting and controversial way is a sign that she is a great teacher. Its a shame she has to be put through the ringer like this.

I am not missing the point of what the teacher was trying to convey...such a convenient reason to burn the Bible. /end sarcasm

I find it extremely questionable that schools won't allow Chritianity to poke its head up in any form in the public schools, but they WILL allow a teacher to burn the Bible. Burning it in front of the children might have made some of them think as she may have intended, but I think, given the anti-religious nature of our schools, that more would be inclined to get the message that the Bible is not such a respected Book after all - I mean, here is the teacher burning it in class. I have to question the individual teacher in her decision to burn the Bible too. Is she herself so lacking in respect for the Bible that she has to burn it instead of finding an alternative way to instruct? Is she now going to burn a Bible every year for this class? Should teachers everywhere who are teaching about "Farenheit 451" now be instructed to burn the Bible to instruct their students about book-burning? You see how this idea could catch on and become something else entirely...

I wonder what the repercussions would have been if that teacher had burned a copy of the Koran? Let me guess: moral outrage by liberals.

You need to assess this incident in the context of what is happening at large in our schools today, not just in the context of the narrow focus on that particular teacher. To allow one incident like that to occur just opens the door to more anti-God, anti-Christian, anti-Semitism, anti-American sentiment that the liberal-backed NEA is pushing to teach our children in the public school system.

In my opinion, in providing an example for the book "Farenheit 451" the teacher could have used the topic of how Kerry and his liberal followers have attempted to shut down the sale of the book "Unfit for Command", the story of the Swift Boat vets and what they think of Kerry. This would have been a real life, exciting current events example of "book burning" in our society today.

ScreamingEagle said:
I am not missing the point of what the teacher was trying to convey...such a convenient reason to burn the Bible. /end sarcasm

I find it extremely questionable that schools won't allow Chritianity to poke its head up in any form in the public schools, but they WILL allow a teacher to burn the Bible. Burning it in front of the children might have made some of them think as she may have intended, but I think, given the anti-religious nature of our schools, that more would be inclined to get the message that the Bible is not such a respected Book after all - I mean, here is the teacher burning it in class. I have to question the individual teacher in her decision to burn the Bible too. Is she herself so lacking in respect for the Bible that she has to burn it instead of finding an alternative way to instruct? Is she now going to burn a Bible every year for this class? Should teachers everywhere who are teaching about "Farenheit 451" now be instructed to burn the Bible to instruct their students about book-burning? You see how this idea could catch on and become something else entirely...

I wonder what the repercussions would have been if that teacher had burned a copy of the Koran? Let me guess: moral outrage by liberals.

You need to assess this incident in the context of what is happening at large in our schools today, not just in the context of the narrow focus on that particular teacher. To allow one incident like that to occur just opens the door to more anti-God, anti-Christian, anti-Semitism, anti-American sentiment that the liberal-backed NEA is pushing to teach our children in the public school system.

In my opinion, in providing an example for the book "Farenheit 451" the teacher could have used the topic of how Kerry and his liberal followers have attempted to shut down the sale of the book "Unfit for Command", the story of the Swift Boat vets and what they think of Kerry. This would have been a real life, exciting current events example of "book burning" in our society today.

would you feel the same way if it was the quran, or the kaballah? or charlottes web? what about harry potter?

I don't think the teacher was trying to make the point that the bible can be torn, burnt, or shredded with impunity. She was trying to make a legitimate point about censorship in all forms.

wade said:
The Bible is the "word of God" to you. To me, it's just a bunch of stories designed to teach ethics (rather badly) to people too ignorant to understand principals or philosophy.
I'll Pray for you then.

I do not advocate angering people with such actions unless they have a good purpose, but I think the teacher in this case did have such a purpose - to elicit an emotional response that would reach a broad audience. What other book could have been destroyed that would have elicited the desired reaction in such a wide segment of the class?
Your opinion, you're free to have it. I have mine!

Wade.
YOU are putting words in my mouth AGAIN!!!! I have not tryed to force anything on anyone! Did you actually read my posts or did you see that I felt it was wrong and just went from there?
UsaPride said:
I understand what you're saying, Darin. But, I still feel it's wrong. The Bible is the Word of God. The Word of God is printed on that worthless paper with that worthless ink binded by that worthless leather which therefore makes them no more worthless. That's just my feelings though. I don't think she should hang for it, that's between her and God, but I still think it's wrong. And, now that I am a parent, if either of my children came home and told me that their teacher ripped up a Bible, I don't care what the meaning behind it was, I'd rip them out of her class! Again, this is just how I feel about it. Everyone's free to have their own opinions on the subject and I wouldn't think just because you, or anyone else, thinks it's no big deal, that you're gonna burn in hell, you know, LOL!
THIS is what I said! How I feel about it!

DKSuddeth said:
would you feel the same way if it was the quran, or the kaballah? or charlottes web? what about harry potter?

I don't think the teacher was trying to make the point that the bible can be torn, burnt, or shredded with impunity. She was trying to make a legitimate point about censorship in all forms.

Then why is it that a teacher can burn the Bible in a public school but he cannot have one sitting on his desk on a daily basis?

ScreamingEagle said:
Then why is it that a teacher can burn the Bible in a public school but he cannot have one sitting on his desk on a daily basis?
that is a seperate issue from the one that the teacher was making here. and you already know the answer to your question, you've said it many times already.

wade said:

Wade.

Where is she trying to force her sensibilities upon others? You seem to be taking a personal interest in calling her out. Why? How is she threatening you? Your belief system? What is your problem?

DKSuddeth said:
that is a seperate issue from the one that the teacher was making here. and you already know the answer to your question, you've said it many times already.

Not following you. Please explain.

ScreamingEagle said:
Not following you. Please explain.
your question was 'why is it that a teacher can burn the Bible in a public school but he cannot have one sitting on his desk on a daily basis?'.

you already know the answer to this, it has come up several times in many different threads. The attack on christianity using the seperation of church and state argument.

DKSuddeth said:
your question was 'why is it that a teacher can burn the Bible in a public school but he cannot have one sitting on his desk on a daily basis?'.

you already know the answer to this, it has come up several times in many different threads. The attack on christianity using the seperation of church and state argument.

Well, let's take this to the letter of the law. If a teacher cannot have a Bible on his desk (whether one day or many) meaning that teachers are NOT ALLOWED to bring Bibles into their classrooms even for their own private reading, why is it a teacher CAN bring a Bible into the classroom in order to burn it?

How many of these kids will forget this lesson? 0 I bet.

Maybe she could have used a realistic prop, in hide site I bet she wishes she had.
Other than that...Give her a raise!
She at least, is doing her job.

ScreamingEagle said:
Well, let's take this to the letter of the law. If a teacher cannot have a Bible on his desk (whether one day or many) meaning that teachers are NOT ALLOWED to bring Bibles into their classrooms even for their own private reading, why is it a teacher CAN bring a Bible into the classroom in order to burn it?
I have no answer for that. :dunno:

Mr. P said:
How many of these kids will forget this lesson? 0 I bet.

Maybe she could have used a realistic prop, in hide site I bet she wishes she had.
Other than that...Give her a raise!
She at least, is doing her job.

Give her a raise? This is why liberals are so two-faced. For them it's not OK to bring a Bible into the classroom as it might "affect" the poor little children and their very sensitive feelings regarding religion. So the ACLU jumps on the case and makes it a law that a teacher cannot bring his own private Bible to school to read (just all by himself) during study hall or whatever.

However, liberals are willing to completely ignore the law (that they engendered) and they think it is just FINE for a teacher to haul in a (gasp!) Bible into the classroom - but ONLY if she has plans to burn it. Is this the party of insanity or what? (are you getting the picture yet?)

DKSuddeth said:
I have no answer for that.

You're an honest man. :D

Screaming Eagle,

I think that you are taking on one issue, the teacher burning the Bible in order to eduacte her students as to why fighting censorship is important, and trying to pound it into the mold of the issue you really want to discuss, the persecution of Christianity in the US today, especially evident in our nation's public schools.

In the matter of the second issue, I am in complete agreement with you. I find it absolutely abhorrent that we can teach our students about Kwanzaa, Yom Kippur, and about the pillars of Islam, but that we can not teach them about Christianity (note to people who are offended: I am not talking about PREACHING one religion over another...I'm talking about discussing them all equally, if you teach Kwanzaa you should teach Channukah and Christmas....)

I find it an appauling afront to civil liberties that teachers are not permitted to keep a Bible on their desks, or in some cases, wear a cross while at work. And I agree wholeheartedly that these are matters that need to be addressed.

THIS SITUATION however, is not about that. The teacher was NOT making a statement against Christianity...in fact, one could argue that the fact that she chose the Bible as the book that would reach the most students is a statement FOR Christianity.

She was attempting to demonstrate why we need to be vigilant against censorship, ScreamingEagle...she was attempting to show the students why, if they are not aware, they could find themselves in a situation where the Bible was burned...and the reaction we are witnessing proves that those students were uncomfortable with the idea...and fought against it.

BRAVO FOR THE TEACHER!!! SHE ACCOMPLISHED EXACTLY WHAT SHE WAS TRYING TO DO!!!! SHE GOT THE STUDENTS TO FIGHT AGAINST SOMEONE DESTROYING LITERATURE THEY FELT MATTERED!!!!!

Perhaps a student will see parallels between what she did and the fact that you can not normally have a Bible in a public school. Perhaps that student will say, "Hey...doesn't a teacher have the constitutional right to have a Bible on their desk? Isn't that a violation of her or my rights?"

Then her lesson...the one you are fighting against so vehemently, would have brought about the exact type of awareness you are looking for.

But even if it doesn't...the issue you are concentrating so much energy on, while vital and important, is not the issue the teacher was trying to address...you should try to see that rather than trying to make it something it is not.

Kathianne said:
Where is she trying to force her sensibilities upon others? You seem to be taking a personal interest in calling her out. Why? How is she threatening you? Your belief system? What is your problem?

Because she is advocating that people pull their kids out of such a classroom because she does not care for the content of this single lesson. This is a way parents can control what is or is not taught in the public schools. Given this kind of attitude, the teachers can hardly teach anything for fear of parent reprisal.

Wade.

wade said:
Because she is advocating that people pull their kids out of such a classroom because she does not care for the content of this single lesson. This is a way parents can control what is or is not taught in the public schools. Given this kind of attitude, the teachers can hardly teach anything for fear of parent reprisal.

Wade.

Teachers should be responsive to parental desires. The arrogance of the elitist liberal teaching establishment (except for Kathianne) needs to be purged from our midst. Get your pitchforks, boys!

wade said:

Wade.
I'm not telling anyone to pull their kids out, I said I would take mine out! Good gracious, READ what I actually WROTE! STOP putting words into my mouth, on this thread and the other! They can teach, I wished some teachers would actually teach, but this, in my opinion, was wrong, I would take my kids out.

wade said:

So, if I read this correctly, it is your position that parents must surrender their children to the auspices of the state and accept whatever curriculum is to be taught. If parents object, or remove their children from a school they find objectionable, then according to your view, that is imposing the parent's view on the school.

Do you have ANY idea how ridiculous that sounds?

Apparently your liberal concern for rights and freedoms is limited to those who agree with your opinions. Whether you like it or not, if someone were making an effort to convince others to remove their children from a particular school, it is that person's right to do so. You cannot construe that someone is attempting to impose a view on others simply because that person asks others to do a certain thing. That is not imposition or coercion, that is free speech.

wade said:

Wade.

She was speaking of her own children. Parents DO have the right to choose their children's schools, setting their priorities. You do not have the right to basically tell others to 'shut up.' You certainly are free to ignore Pride or anyone else.

Forum List

Back