Superintendent: 'Enough is enough.' Educators, parents must take schools back from NRA

Superintendent: 'Enough is enough.' Educators, parents must take schools back from NRA

There is a critical fact the handwringers concerned about student safety at schools don’t understand: No where in the Constitution does it specifically guarantee children have the right to be safe from being murdered while attending classes, eating lunch, or any other school activity.

However, according to the Republicans’ long-held interpretation of the Second Amendment, all Americans (except people-of-color) have the right to arm themselves with as many firearms as they want, and permit-less, concealed carry must be granted them nationwide. Also, there should be no limit to the type of weapons and accessories available for purchase.

So, lacking any constitutional assurances, school administrators, teachers, parents, and students must realize mass shootings in schools has become an accepted U.S. tradition among conservatives, just like endless war, and all other U.S. corporate products that profit from killing men, women, and children here and overseas.

the man is a moron

The Mulford Act....brought to California by Gov Reagan and the NRA who lost their minds over black men with guns.

And? He was wrong, and the NRA...show me where they supported that......... if they did, they were wrong too....

What is your point? Showing an example of gun control isn't going to make us join your lunacy....you dope...

Heck, kids used to be able to join shooting clubs and shoot actual guns. In today's world, teachers and administrators would not only recoil in horror, they would run into the streets, screaming. My 9th grade biology teacher took our entire class to his farm, where he shot and butchered a cow to show us what the internal organs looked like.
1672947784462.jpeg

What changed is our prisons, society norms, and taking God out of the classroom and the public in general.

Years ago if a kid was talking about sex in the classroom, he was sent to the office and the parents were called. Today, it's the teacher talking about sex in school and the role of the student is to keep it away from the parents.

No one took God out of the classroom. Formalized school prayer was removed.

Would you want your kids praying to Allah using an Islamic prayer? How about Buddha?

It's the weak that get eaten up. In my day if a kid acted proudly against a teacher he was removed from that class ("he", because girls didn't do that). Of course, in my day we had more male teachers, and you didn't give them any guff. Some teachers might not have been liked but all were respected.
When I was in high school in 1969 we had a teacher who looked like a "caspar milqetoast"; small, perhaps five foot six, thin maybe one forty to one fifty or so. One day what we called a chollo (gangbanger now) got up in his face, cussed him out, pushed and sucker punched him and left school. The teacher went after him, and literally drug the jerk back into class and threw him into his seat. The level of respect for that teacher went through the roof among the gang members in the class. I later, quietly and privately asked the teacher how he was able to do that. He just smiled and said that he was Marine Force Recon in Vietnam and no punk high school kid was going to intimidate him after the things he saw and did over there.

When I was in high school in 1969 we had a teacher who looked like a "caspar milqetoast"; small, perhaps five foot six, thin maybe one forty to one fifty or so. One day what we called a chollo (gangbanger now) got up in his face, cussed him out, pushed and sucker punched him and left school. The teacher went after him, and literally drug the jerk back into class and threw him into his seat. The level of respect for that teacher went through the roof among the gang members in the class. I later, quietly and privately asked the teacher how he was able to do that. He just smiled and said that he was Marine Force Recon in Vietnam and no punk high school kid was going to intimidate him after the things he saw and did over there.

What teachers did to us years ago would be national news today.

A similar story happened when I was a kid. One of the tough guys walked in late for class. The teacher told him to go to the office. The kid turned around, mumbled F-you and gave him the finger. The teacher (also a wrestling coach) jumped up and went after that kid. All we heard was screams of pain and banging against the lockers. He never even looked the wrong way at that teacher ever again.

A friend of mine worked at our local school as a teacher. Lots of fights in the hallways. He said if he went to break up a fight and some kid punched him in the face, there is nothing he could do to that kid. If he punched him back, he said he'd not only lose his job, but his career as well. Nobody would ever hire him again even with the union. In my day if a kid punched a teacher, look out.

No one took God out of the classroom. Formalized school prayer was removed.

Would you want your kids praying to Allah using an Islamic prayer? How about Buddha?

Sure they did. Liberals took God out of the classroom. It's not just about praying either.

One of our schools outside of Cleveland about 25 miles hung a picture of Jesus Christ in the hallway. It was there for generations. Everybody in the town was fine with it until the town started to grow rapidly as more city folks began to move in. Some kid with a lib parent filed a complaint about the picture with the ACLU. The school was ready to fight it because it was just a picture of a guy with no name on it. Their lawyers explained the cost to fight something like that, and the school was forced to remove the picture over one loser lib who's kid didn't even have to look at the picture if he didn't want to.

Sure they did. Liberals took God out of the classroom. It's not just about praying either.

One of our schools outside of Cleveland about 25 miles hung a picture of Jesus Christ in the hallway. It was there for generations. Everybody in the town was fine with it until the town started to grow rapidly as more city folks began to move in. Some kid with a lib parent filed a complaint about the picture with the ACLU. The school was ready to fight it because it was just a picture of a guy with no name on it. Their lawyers explained the cost to fight something like that, and the school was forced to remove the picture over one loser lib who's kid didn't even have to look at the picture if he didn't want to.

Was there a picture of Buddha, Confucius, and Vishnu alongside the picture of Christ? If not, they were promoting the Christian religion. Establishment of a religion is unconstitutional.

Kids can still pray, read their Bible and practice their religion anytime they want. The school cannot force them to do so.

Forum List

Back