Superintendent: 'Enough is enough.' Educators, parents must take schools back from NRA

And that is the salient point. As a nation, we've always had guns available to us, but only in the last several decades have school shootings even been on anyone's radar screens. Kids have walked to school for a long time, and only in the last several decades has kid snatching even been on anyone's radar screens What changed? Not the guns.

What changed is our prisons, society norms, and taking God out of the classroom and the public in general.

Years ago if a kid was talking about sex in the classroom, he was sent to the office and the parents were called. Today, it's the teacher talking about sex in school and the role of the student is to keep it away from the parents.

When I was in HS we had many "clubs", most of which had fewer than a dozen members and met in regular classrooms. We had a club called "Field and Stream Club" which focused on hunting, fishing, and gun safety. It required the auditorium as almost every guy in the school joined. If today's teachers and administrators saw such a thing they would recoil in horror.
During fall semester lots of guys brought game meat in their sack lunches. Those were the goodle days.
I was just in the chess club.

When I was in HS we had many "clubs", most of which had fewer than a dozen members and met in regular classrooms. We had a club called "Field and Stream Club" which focused on hunting, fishing, and gun safety. It required the auditorium as almost every guy in the school joined. If today's teachers and administrators saw such a thing they would recoil in horror.
During fall semester lots of guys brought game meat in their sack lunches. Those were the goodle days.
Heck, kids used to be able to join shooting clubs and shoot actual guns. In today's world, teachers and administrators would not only recoil in horror, they would run into the streets, screaming. My 9th grade biology teacher took our entire class to his farm, where he shot and butchered a cow to show us what the internal organs looked like.

I'm a proponent of the 2nd Amendment, but some folks on this site who proclaim that they are afraid to take one step outside their door without a gun are, well...........
Get robbed twice like me, and if you have any sense you won't leave home without it.

I roll my eyes when a kid does something awful and the parents say "but he is a good boy (or girl)
I love when the opposite happens. The parents go to a parent/teacher conference scared of what the teacher will say, and he/she says, "Your child is the best-behaved student in my class". That's when you know your teaching on respect has sunk in and taken hold.

I love when the opposite happens. The parents go to a parent/teacher conference scared of what the teacher will say, and he/she says, "Your child is the best-behaved student in my class". That's when you know your teaching on respect has sunk in and taken hold.

We've never had any sort of issues other than the normal kids being dumb with ours.

They learn from it after it's explained to them

Superintendent: 'Enough is enough.' Educators, parents must take schools back from NRA

There is a critical fact the handwringers concerned about student safety at schools don’t understand: No where in the Constitution does it specifically guarantee children have the right to be safe from being murdered while attending classes, eating lunch, or any other school activity.

However, according to the Republicans’ long-held interpretation of the Second Amendment, all Americans (except people-of-color) have the right to arm themselves with as many firearms as they want, and permit-less, concealed carry must be granted them nationwide. Also, there should be no limit to the type of weapons and accessories available for purchase.

So, lacking any constitutional assurances, school administrators, teachers, parents, and students must realize mass shootings in schools has become an accepted U.S. tradition among conservatives, just like endless war, and all other U.S. corporate products that profit from killing men, women, and children here and overseas.

/----/ Forget the NRA. We need to take our schools away from administrators that allow this.

Get robbed twice like me, and if you have any sense you won't leave home without it.
Three times I wished I was packing.
A guy got in my grill out in the woods because he thought I was messing with his bear bait.
Another time a guy followed me into a Walmart parking lot to curse me out for cutting him off in traffic (which I was completely unaware of).

Scouting for hunting spots when a huge black bear ambled past me at 30 yards.

Now I carry whenever I'm in the woods, or at Walmart.

Forum List

Back