Zone1 Suffering is part of life

Blackrook

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2014
The Catholic Church teaches that suffering is part of life and that suffering can bring us closer to God. We should unite our suffering to the suffering of Christ on the cross.

Other faiths don't have the same beliefs about suffering.

The Protestants remove Christ from the cross so they are not reminded that he suffered for us.

The secular world is coming around to the view that a person who suffers should have a right to die with the assistance of a medical doctor.

The Catholic Church teaches that suffering is part of life and that suffering can bring us closer to God. We should unite our suffering to the suffering of Christ on the cross.

The Protestants remove Christ from the cross so they are not reminded that he suffered for us.

The secular world is coming around to the view that a person who suffers should have a right to die with the assistance of a medical doctor.
That which doesn't kill you will make you stronger. Generally speaking, it is true. But that mindset is considered cruel nowadays or even barbaric. Faith is about enduring and persevering even when understanding is lacking. What happened is people either rejected the notion of an all-powerful being as being "unrealistic" or they became unsatisfied with the payout for prayer. So they turned to all-wise government to make it better -- solve every individual's problems, and provide for every individual's needs. In the end more government intervention drives only the demand for more government intervention. And we lose something of our humanity in that process.

My whole life has been suffering.

But it's still been worthwhile, I think.

People who believe you should kill yourself if you're suffering kind of piss me off.

*** Many people have said: "We are born; we suffer; we die."

*** That is why I envy the unborn.

*** That is why Planned Parenthood is one of the beneficiaries in my will.

I gotta teach a Sunday School class tomorrow discussing Stephen in Acts 6&7....and the lesson plan focuses heavily on suffering. Which is OK I guess....but in truth it should discuss about the failures of people to stand up for the "little guy" who has no importance in society due to his heritage. That's the truth of the story...

Dunno how I'm going to do. I'm gonna try to do well...maybe I'll be ok...but I gotta mouth and mind where stuff slips out.

Of course suffering is part of life.

No doubt about it.

I see the dead Jew on a stick in Protestant churches.

Thanks so much for this and it is a topic I have been thinking and meditating on quite a bit.

I posted a thread some time ago (haven't been there lately) about how God, rather than being a sadist as some other poster said, seems to be a masochist (if anything) since He allows so much misery and suffering (and He is with us in this suffering), even in-- or esp in-- the lives of His people... and so, as you say, we line up our sufferings with those of Jesus on the Cross... and that brings us closer, so much closer to Him

closer than...

"partying" (shall we say)

I gotta teach a Sunday School class tomorrow discussing Stephen in Acts 6&7....and the lesson plan focuses heavily on suffering. Which is OK I guess....but in truth it should discuss about the failures of people to stand up for the "little guy" who has no importance in society due to his heritage. That's the truth of the story...

Dunno how I'm going to do. I'm gonna try to do well...maybe I'll be ok...but I gotta mouth and mind where stuff slips out.
i have the same problem, and sometimes it is not a good thing. Sometimes, it could be the Holy Spirit, but I say it is best to be very careful what you say, esp when you have some kind of authority over others... people listen to you and follow your interpretation of Jesus... etc...

If I couldn't align my sufferings with those of Christ, I would just be a miserable schmuck, which I kind of am anyhow... but when I seriously meditate on the Crucifixion and see there my own sufferings... I am brought to Jesus in a very tangible way... God could have destroyed all suffering when He died on the Cross, but He didn't....

i have the same problem, and sometimes it is not a good thing. Sometimes, it could be the Holy Spirit, but I say it is best to be very careful what you say, esp when you have some kind of authority over others... people listen to you and follow your interpretation of Jesus... etc...

If I couldn't align my sufferings with those of Christ, I would just be a miserable schmuck, which I kind of am anyhow... but when I seriously meditate on the Crucifixion and see there my own sufferings... I am brought to Jesus in a very tangible way... God could have destroyed all suffering when He died on the Cross, but He didn't....
Well I got through it....
I explained both points as best as possible.

Even quoted Tacitus' Annals about how the Jews were kicked out of Italy.

Kinda sucked at it Sunday but kinda did OK as well. Short notice....didn't have time to really prepare.
But as always with adults....there's hidden agendas that I don't always understand. Maybe if they showed up to SOMETHING other than class so we could just talk like normal people and they could get to know us and us them.

we were all dumped into Hell in January 2021

America, that is
I had to read that carefully twice....
I thought you said Haiti at first....little difference between the two....ones just a bit more permanent than the other.

is the last sentence above in reference to what, the rcc ... their disapproval.

- and the medical assistance is ...

... is there suffering in the heavens, not what happens on earth is a guess. bring the crucifiers to justice - the desert religions and suffering on earth will be alleviated a great deal in of itself.

lot's of different suffering, not all is either good or necessary.

I see the dead Jew on a stick in Protestant churches.

moonglow goes callous ...

jesus is never a jew, the 1st century events are the repudiation of judaism, their false commandments and hereditary idolatry. all three desert religions are the same.

what jesus taught, liberation theology, self determination is as far from suffering as any belief can be. sacrifice is not suffering.

The Catholics have the reason as to why God allows suffering, as posted in OP

Other religions just shrug and move on.. NOT helpful
Nope. Of those religions that trust the Word:

1 Peter 5:10 And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast.

2 Corinth. 4:17 For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.

This is earth, and for the time being, Satan's domain. He goes to and fro creating as many problems as he can. But, his time is about to be cut off. And then there will be no more suffering, no more tears. All that will be replaced with pure joy. So, hang in there. Grace and reward are coming.

Forum List

Back