Stolen Valor, too many get by with it.

I have not been a regular in the bars in decades. I do however do what I can when I read about or hear a lying bastard attempting to steal from those that served and sacrificed so much for this nation. Have even confronted a few in my time.

To each their own, I suppose.

Personally, I don't see the point. Someone who lies about stuff like that is basically I person I wouldn't want to associate with anyway. I don't see the point in confronting them, unless it makes you feel good or better about yourself.

People lie. Sad but true.

I don't see the point of it, either. But the lies we're discussing aren't just ordinary lies. Redbone puts it well in the comment, 'They are stealing from the sacrifice of those that served and did their duty.'

Can you, or can anyone, refute the truth of that ? I really think not. It therefore surely follows that the only really decent, honourable response IS one of confrontation.

I suggest that less than this dishonours all who've fought and died for their country.

The only people they're dishonoring with their lies are themsleves.

Their lies do not take away from the heroism and accomplsihments of Soldiers on the battlefields.

And I ask - does it diminish what these soldiers and servicemen have fought for, if we civilians cannot grasp that reality, and don't do our own duty by them ?

No it doesn't, simply because you can't be expected to understand it. You have no frame of reference by which to compare your experiences and ours. No matter how many movies you watch or books you read, you simply will never "get it," no matter what.

That's not a condemnation of you or anything else. It's just simply how it is. Combat really is one of those "Ya hadda been there" kind of things.

To each their own, I suppose.

Personally, I don't see the point. Someone who lies about stuff like that is basically I person I wouldn't want to associate with anyway. I don't see the point in confronting them, unless it makes you feel good or better about yourself.

People lie. Sad but true.

I don't see the point of it, either. But the lies we're discussing aren't just ordinary lies. Redbone puts it well in the comment, 'They are stealing from the sacrifice of those that served and did their duty.'

Can you, or can anyone, refute the truth of that ? I really think not. It therefore surely follows that the only really decent, honourable response IS one of confrontation.

I suggest that less than this dishonours all who've fought and died for their country.

The only people they're dishonoring with their lies are themsleves.

Their lies do not take away from the heroism and accomplsihments of Soldiers on the battlefields.

Actually - I can't argue against your point. You're right.

The trash who tell lies about their 'records' are still riding on the backs of those who really DID do their duty, and emerged from it with fine records they have every right to be proud of.

But, yes. Point well taken, and thanks.

And I ask - does it diminish what these soldiers and servicemen have fought for, if we civilians cannot grasp that reality, and don't do our own duty by them ?

No it doesn't, simply because you can't be expected to understand it. You have no frame of reference by which to compare your experiences and ours. No matter how many movies you watch or books you read, you simply will never "get it," no matter what.

That's not a condemnation of you or anything else. It's just simply how it is. Combat really is one of those "Ya hadda been there" kind of things.

Accepted, and thanks for that post. I can easily believe you're right.

All the more reason, I'd have thought, why it's so important to have a duty of respect and appreciation of what servicemen have done to fulfil their duty. Do you agree ?

Accepted, and thanks for that post. I can easily believe you're right.

All the more reason, I'd have thought, why it's so important to have a duty of respect and appreciation of what servicemen have done to fulfil their duty. Do you agree ?

A duty? No. It's still a free country where people are free to think and do pretty much what they like. Even the right to lie about their military service is among the things I risked my life to defend.

A moral obligation? Yes, but it's not the end of the world if everyone doesn't recognize that or behave in a manner of which I would approve. Just because I willingly put my ass on the line does not give me leave to sit in judgment of others, nor does it give me the right to install myself as the Supreme Judge and Jury of what's right or wrong. In fact, some of the things I did in the war pretty much eliminates me from passing moral judgment on anybody.

Yanno....................I earned my right to be in the fraternity of the military. I even earned my right to stand with those who have served a full career and are now retired from the military.

That being said....................................I will always respect the traditions and all things connected to the service that I loved being in, and being a part of.

I mean face it y'all..........................if someone outside of your fraternity (for all you civilians that really are trying to understand), used some of the moves from your frat, and you knew they weren't a part of it, wouldn't you call them on it?

The Military is my frat.

Well given the BULLSHIT that hollywood gets a pass on when it comes to the military, stolen valor by weak willed liars seems like a pretty small problem.

It is a small problem to some......

Not to those who were out there earning it........

I find it amazing how many people want to defend such liars and for what reason. Freedom of speech issue aside, it is obvious that some people think integrity and honor should be eliminated for the good of the new progressive culture. I guess according to some these worthless valor stealing clowns convincing people they are real and then acting badly should be applauded or ignored as if it were a small white lie about eating the last piece of gum.

There is a new push on to degrade patriotism and the military. Obama is all for it too.

That's a bit a broadbrush.

I've done 20 years. three deployments...the whole nine.

I don't consider what I've done "sacred" or worthy of praise. I've done what I swore to do...my duty, and I've been paid pretty well for it. It's nothing special and I don't go around expecting anyone to thank or praise me for it.

Therefore, when someone lies about their service, I just consider tham liars I wouldn't want to associate with, and move on.

I find it amazing how many people want to defend such liars and for what reason. Freedom of speech issue aside, it is obvious that some people think integrity and honor should be eliminated for the good of the new progressive culture. I guess according to some these worthless valor stealing clowns convincing people they are real and then acting badly should be applauded or ignored as if it were a small white lie about eating the last piece of gum.

There is a new push on to degrade patriotism and the military. Obama is all for it too.

I haven't seen anyone defending them. I and some others just don't get our asses in a knot about it when they do it.

I would suggest to anyone former Soldier is they really think they're so special as to consider anyone lying about service as some sort of moral afront, to get over themselves and move on with their lives and quit dwelling in the past.

I haven't seen anyone defending them. I and some others just don't get our asses in a knot about it when they do it.

I would suggest to anyone former Soldier is they really think they're so special as to consider anyone lying about service as some sort of moral afront, to get over themselves and move on with their lives and quit dwelling in the past.

Key word in your comment was I. That is your view on it and I do not have a problem with it at all.
Others may feel differently and they are entitled to that too.

I understand and suport exposing fakers who are gaining something tangible from falsifying a service history. What I don't get is constant concern about internet posters who pretend to be ex-military and are simply arguing on a messageboard.

I'm a vet, and I just don't get the outrage.

I usually just feel embarrassed for that kind of loser.

In fact, I feel kind of embarassed from authentic veterans who make much ado about their time in uniform.

I tell stories, drunk stories, stories about the friends, the crazies, and the assholes I met. I tell stories of the places I visited, and the things we had to do.

Nothing that makes me look like anything that I'm not.

Key word in your comment was I. That is your view on it and I do not have a problem with it at all.
Others may feel differently and they are entitled to that too.

Of course it's my opinion.

This is an internet message forum in which people epress their opinions. No where do I suggest that this is, or even should be, a universal sentiment.

I understand and suport exposing fakers who are gaining something tangible from falsifying a service history. What I don't get is constant concern about internet posters who pretend to be ex-military and are simply arguing on a messageboard.

My sentiment eactly.

I would also suggest that I feel the same way about some guy trying to get laid in a bar or similar situations.

I don't get the outrage either, but to each their own I guess.

That's a bit a broadbrush.

I've done 20 years. three deployments...the whole nine.

I don't consider what I've done "sacred" or worthy of praise. I've done what I swore to do...my duty, and I've been paid pretty well for it. It's nothing special and I don't go around expecting anyone to thank or praise me for it.

Therefore, when someone lies about their service, I just consider tham liars I wouldn't want to associate with, and move on.

I was actually surprised the first time a civilian thanked me for my service. But though I retired in 93 that never happened until after 9-11-01.

Anyway it's OK to feel differently about the fakes. I don't consider myself any better than the average Joe on the street, but Miles above someone claiming false service.

for me its not so much outrage... but more like making them look like the fools that they are. Its amusing when their covers that they love so much are blown.

for me its not so much outrage... but more like making them look like the fools that they are. Its amusing when their covers that they love so much are blown.

Yes and when that cover is blown they quickly become gone. Those that fell for their lying crap often go into denial even to the point of still "valiantly" defending the liars after the truth comes out. Some people can not even admit that they were wrong even to themselves. I find that sad and pathetic as well.

Forum List

Back