squirrel proof bird feeder?

Does your feeder hang from a tree or is on a pole? If it is on a pole... there are a couple things you can do.

You can actually put a slinky on it.

Another is to spray the pole with oil so they slide off.

:1peleas:

Calm down. Your Utubey links weren't displaying for me. So I was testing WHY I couldn't see them. Sometimes you have to prime the software here to "register" the links as "media". I don't know why. It's a Xenforo issue of some kind. So I "primed" and edited your post after testing. I've deleted it. Wasn't ripping you off.

Does your feeder hang from a tree or is on a pole? If it is on a pole... there are a couple things you can do.

You didn't watch the "slinky test" vid all the way thru. I was thinking it would work. BUt it doesn't. And I've tried the oil trick and it's fun to watch. But it has to be applied too many times a day.

For the slinky to work, you just got make the pole higher where the slinky hangs down lower. Or stretch the slinky out more so they reach it closer to the ground.

:1peleas:

Calm down. Your Utubey links weren't displaying for me. So I was testing WHY I couldn't see them. Sometimes you have to prime the software here to "register" the links as "media". I don't know why. It's a Xenforo issue of some kind. So I "primed" and edited your post after testing. I've deleted it. Wasn't ripping you off.

I didn't think you were ripping me off... it just looked like you posted without commenting. I was just saying I was watching you! :abgg2q.jpg:

I had the same problem until I got a shepherds hook and this feeder.
View attachment 202986View attachment 202987
Both from lowes

last year i had a few red squirrels....this year they are on the feeder dawn to dusk...and i am going thru 40 lbs of black oil seed in about 5 days ...that is adding up.....i cant do the baffle cause i have trees ....when the beautiful feeder my hubby made me ...runs out..they chew on it...my hubby is pointing out that the squirrels are totally outta hand....and will just continue to increase.....i love to watch the squirrels ....but this is becoming a huge problem...

so are there really any squirrel proof feeders...brome's they just eat the plastic bottom out....

It's looks nasty but nothing keeps them from eating out of those ports. They've shaved the METAL off of ports on my feeders. Have to replace them every couple years.

Might want to look into suet blocks too. They used to be pretty cheap, about 98 cents a block. Now they're over a buck. Very efficient. The squirrels can nibble a bit at them but they don't like them as much as the birds and the wire cages that hold the suet are more suited to feeding critters with beaks.

It's easy to make your own suet blocks. You might save money there but I haven't looked into it. If you find out it's cheaper, let me know please.

Another thing about birds: They are always a meal or two away from dying of starvation. Suet offers a quick, easy boost of protein and fat. A nibble or two of suet can save a bird's life.

Summer time for birds and squirrels is their starvation time. The mast that keeps them alive, (seeds and nuts) doesn't fall until Autumn. Last year's mast is gone. Especially for birds. If you are going to put out food for the critters, please do it especially in the Summer.

iu

This outside pieces around the bottom fold up, and when they hit it, they would fall off and eventually gave up. Had it for 4 years and no more problem with them on it. It is far enough away from trees they can’t jump on the top of it
I had the same problem until I got a shepherds hook and this feeder.
View attachment 202986View attachment 202987
Both from lowes

last year i had a few red squirrels....this year they are on the feeder dawn to dusk...and i am going thru 40 lbs of black oil seed in about 5 days ...that is adding up.....i cant do the baffle cause i have trees ....when the beautiful feeder my hubby made me ...runs out..they chew on it...my hubby is pointing out that the squirrels are totally outta hand....and will just continue to increase.....i love to watch the squirrels ....but this is becoming a huge problem...

so are there really any squirrel proof feeders...brome's they just eat the plastic bottom out....

It's looks nasty but nothing keeps them from eating out of those ports. They've shaved the METAL off of ports on my feeders. Have to replace them every couple years.

Just wage a war with them using tactics like spraying graphite on the poll its fun

I thought about grease and graphite. But I'd hate to picking up mangled squirrels who get it on them and try to make all those 12 foot leaps 30 feet up in the trees.. Might be good Utube material, but I'd be euthanizing a couple a day..

Might as well just shoot them first.

Deer corn

it is a lot cheaper,

we buy the black oil seeds for the feeder and spread a bunch of corn around the feeder on the ground....(and in a couple of trays) the red squirrels and chipmunks and raccoons and blue jays and skunks :eek: love it....

And of course the deer love the corn as well.... we have 4 deer that come daily.... we used to feed them apples....it's cheap in the fall, because it's FREE cuz we have a whole bunch of wild apple trees and we harvest them and can feed them for a few months off of them.... probably thru December, then we were buying apples to feed them but that was way too much money, then we fed them the blk sunflower seeds,

and that got out of hand so we found the deer corn for cheap at the local hardware store...works great!

Feeds the forest of critters.... and the blk oil bird seed is kept for the birds, and an occasional chipmunk that makes it up the poll,

and an occaisonal black bear when she wakes in the Spring.

Just wage a war with them using tactics like spraying graphite on the poll its fun

I thought about grease and graphite. But I'd hate to picking up mangled squirrels who get it on them and try to make all those 12 foot leaps 30 feet up in the trees.. Might be good Utube material, but I'd be euthanizing a couple a day..

Maybe I need to stop doing that. I'm waging a war with groundhogs right now. Apparently they have a hole underneath one of my sheds. They don't seem to like the plastic skirting I put around it.

Maybe I need to stop doing that. I'm waging a war with groundhogs right now. Apparently they have a hole underneath one of my sheds. They don't seem to like the plastic skirting I put around it.

They don't seem to like the plastic skirting I put around it.

what kind?

I know for a fact I have them under my shed

They don't seem to like the plastic skirting I put around it.

what kind?

Mod Edit -- Corrected formatting of this post -- FCT..

It's this cheap mobile home skirting type stuff I cut down to fit that I got for free. It really has pissed them off lol. They keep destroying the corner.

Last edited by a moderator:
upload_2018-7-4_23-16-47-jpeg.202986

That is what I use to put my hummingbird feeders on.

upload_2018-7-4_23-16-47-jpeg.202986

That is what I use to put my hummingbird feeders on.
me too! I have it outside in front of the kitchen table window! I love hummingbirds!

and i hang two bird feeders on a double sided one of those metal things, in another area.... but, little red squirrels can still climb them! it worked for about a week to keep the squirrels off....but iif it is not directly upright, and has any lean to it at all, the squirrels can make it up the pole!!

She's simply a KILLER!

Uh, you're living with a psycho. You might be next.

iu

10391394_10154740625735078_5613509587905449391_n.png
well, I did almost die a couple of days ago, because of her!!

From a heart attack!

I was sitting on the sofa, and out of the corner of my eye, I thought I saw something move so I turned to see what it was....and it was a snake, slivering across the floor....

my neighbor, a half mile down the country road with woods in between us....heard me SCREAM!!! :lol:

And my kitty was no where to be found to save me, (or hiding behind something, watching 'mommy'.... and laughing at the great surprise she gave me)

and of course, Matt was at work!!! :eek: And I had to figure out how to catch it, before it slivered behind the stove or refrigerator!!

Forum List

Back