squirrel proof bird feeder?

it was a snake, slivering across the floor

Are there poisonous snakes up there?

Know what kind it was? My wife would have lost her mind then blown it to atoms with her pistol.

EDIT:

Nothing to worry about. Your snake neighbors are friendly:

There are only nine species and two sub-species of snakes in the Pine Tree State, none of them venomous

Species of Snakes in Maine

Last edited:

Know what kind it was? My wife would have lost her mind then blown it to atoms with her pistol.

EDIT:

There are only nine species and two sub-species of snakes in the Pine Tree State, none of them venomous

Us northern folks avoid a lot of the crazy insects and snakes and gators and what not, if your house is sound you will never need to worry about pests,. Damn mosquitos and black flies though. Also snow and lots of it, at least where I live.

upload_2018-7-4_23-16-47-jpeg.202986

That is what I use to put my hummingbird feeders on.
me too! I have it outside in front of the kitchen table window! I love hummingbirds!

and i hang two bird feeders on a double sided one of those metal things, in another area.... but, little red squirrels can still climb them! it worked for about a week to keep the squirrels off....but iif it is not directly upright, and has any lean to it at all, the squirrels can make it up the pole!!

I love them too! Squirrels do not bother the hummers, but the bumble bees do. Hummers will fight them though. LOL

She's simply a KILLER!

Uh, you're living with a psycho. You might be next.

iu

10391394_10154740625735078_5613509587905449391_n.png
well, I did almost die a couple of days ago, because of her!!

From a heart attack!

I was sitting on the sofa, and out of the corner of my eye, I thought I saw something move so I turned to see what it was....and it was a snake, slivering across the floor....

my neighbor, a half mile down the country road with woods in between us....heard me SCREAM!!! :lol:

And my kitty was no where to be found to save me, (or hiding behind something, watching 'mommy'.... and laughing at the great surprise she gave me)

and of course, Matt was at work!!! :eek: And I had to figure out how to catch it, before it slivered behind the stove or refrigerator!!

You are much braver than I! I would have been running along with that screaming. I don't do snakes...*shudder*

She's simply a KILLER!

iu

I'm allergic to cats yet I have a big old stray tomcat that chose to live in my house. He just picked my house and moved in before I even noticed. He's a 20 pounder fat bastard.
that's how we got this cat! she was a stray, about 6-7 months old....we used to see her in the meadow across the way, chasing and pouncing on things....we figured it was field mice... Then, some how....she ended up on our property...usually sitting in the shade under an apple tree, just watching us on the deck....or she would watch Matt mow the lawn.... never too close.... i tried to lure her over....but she wouldn't come near us.... she just watched us....

then one day, I came home and she was sleeping in a chair on our deck.... and we became her slaves from that point forward.....

we thought she was a HE, what the heck did we know? we thought we saw balls, or something that resembled such? :dunno: :D

Well, Matt dropped HIM off at the local Vet to be 'fixed'....

about an hour later the vet called and said, ''Your 'he' is a 'she' and is pregnant''.... we both gasped, and said wha wha wha WHAT? :lol: 4 kitties, but the Doc said she was way too young and small (4 1/2 lbs) to be pregnant and there was a risk to her life so we listened to him, and he spayed her.....:(

She's simply a KILLER!

iu

I'm allergic to cats yet I have a big old stray tomcat that chose to live in my house. He just picked my house and moved in before I even noticed. He's a 20 pounder fat bastard.
that's how we got this cat! she was a stray, about 6-7 months old....we used to see her in the meadow across the way, chasing and pouncing on things....we figured it was field mice... Then, some how....she ended up on our property...usually sitting in the shade under an apple tree, just watching us on the deck....or she would watch Matt mow the lawn.... never too close.... i tried to lure her over....but she wouldn't come near us.... she just watched us....

then one day, I came home and she was sleeping in a chair on our deck.... and we became her slaves from that point forward.....

we thought she was a HE, what the heck did we know? we thought we saw balls, or something that resembled such? :dunno: :D

Well, Matt dropped HIM off at the local Vet to be 'fixed'....

about an hour later the vet called and said, ''Your 'he' is a 'she' and is pregnant''.... we both gasped, and said wha wha wha WHAT? :lol: 4 kitties, but the Doc said she was way too young and small (4 1/2 lbs) to be pregnant and there was a risk to her life so we listened to him, and he spayed her.....:(

awwww bittersweet story. :)

ZERO poisonous snakes in Maine, but truthfully, that did not matter at the moment I saw it.....!!!! :eek:

It only helped me, when I realized I needed to catch it! I kept telling myself over and over again,

'There are no poisonous snakes in Maine, there are no poisonous snakes in Maine, there are no poisonous snakes in Maine!!!!!!'

I found this big tin can that had like 3 flavors of popcorn in it.....only crumbs left in the can and I dumped it all out,

I chased the snake away from the kitchen, and it got underneath the stand of a floor lamp in the living room area, to hide from me.... in one quick swoop, I lifted the floor lamp and covered the snake with the upside down tin can, then poked holes in the top with an ice-pick so it could get air, and put a rock on top, and waited for Matt to get home!!!!

Last edited:
ZERO poisonous snakes in Maine, but truthfully, that did not matter at the moment I saw it.....!!!! :eek:

It only helped me, when I realized I needed to catch it! I kept telling myself over and over again,

'There are no poisonous snakes in Maine, there are no poisonous snakes in Maine, there are no poisonous snakes in Maine!!!!!!'

I found this big tin can that had like 3 flavors of popcorn in it.....only crumbs left in the can and I dumped it all out,

I chased the snake away from the kitchen, and it got underneath the stand of a floor lamp in the living room area, to hide from me.... in one quick swoop, I lifted the floor lamp and covered the snaked with the upside down tin can, then poked holes in the top with an ice-pick so it could get air, and put a rock on top, and waited for Matt to get home!!!!

They will all bite though. :eusa_angel:

last year i had a few red squirrels....this year they are on the feeder dawn to dusk...and i am going thru 40 lbs of black oil seed in about 5 days ...that is adding up.....i cant do the baffle cause i have trees ....when the beautiful feeder my hubby made me ...runs out..they chew on it...my hubby is pointing out that the squirrels are totally outta hand....and will just continue to increase.....i love to watch the squirrels ....but this is becoming a huge problem...

so are there really any squirrel proof feeders...brome's they just eat the plastic bottom out....

Bird's will eat hot peppers, but Squirrels hate them.

So, a lot of people get hot pepper bird seeds, and hot pepper suet's.

But, you can also add hot pepper's to regular bird-seed.

last year i had a few red squirrels....this year they are on the feeder dawn to dusk...and i am going thru 40 lbs of black oil seed in about 5 days ...that is adding up.....i cant do the baffle cause i have trees ....when the beautiful feeder my hubby made me ...runs out..they chew on it...my hubby is pointing out that the squirrels are totally outta hand....and will just continue to increase.....i love to watch the squirrels ....but this is becoming a huge problem...

so are there really any squirrel proof feeders...brome's they just eat the plastic bottom out....

A number of options, some that spin endlessly when squirrels grab hold. You can electrify them with low voltage so they get a shock but it doesn't hurt them. Check youtube, countless videos.

Yeah, well low voltage might scare off Squirrels, but it might kill the Birds they're trying to attract.

I'd personally say a mix of hot pepper in a Squirrel Buster feeder shall be approx 100% Squirrel proof.

Might want to look into suet blocks too. They used to be pretty cheap, about 98 cents a block. Now they're over a buck. Very efficient. The squirrels can nibble a bit at them but they don't like them as much as the birds and the wire cages that hold the suet are more suited to feeding critters with beaks.

It's easy to make your own suet blocks. You might save money there but I haven't looked into it. If you find out it's cheaper, let me know please.

Another thing about birds: They are always a meal or two away from dying of starvation. Suet offers a quick, easy boost of protein and fat. A nibble or two of suet can save a bird's life.

Summer time for birds and squirrels is their starvation time. The mast that keeps them alive, (seeds and nuts) doesn't fall until Autumn. Last year's mast is gone. Especially for birds. If you are going to put out food for the critters, please do it especially in the Summer.

iu

We've had Squirrels knock down suet, heck even the occasional Woodpecker can, but something in the night in our old house used to drag it, something obviously bigger, (Perhaps a deer, raccoon etc.)

EDIT:

Us northern folks avoid a lot of the crazy insects and snakes and gators and what not, if your house is sound you will never need to worry about pests,. Damn mosquitos and black flies though. Also snow and lots of it, at least where I live.
there is NOTHING more EVIL, than Black flies..... I am SO ALLERGIC to their bite!!!! The bite swells out to golf ball size, feels like my skin is going to rip open, and the bite itches like mad, no less than a full month!!!

Might want to look into suet blocks too. They used to be pretty cheap, about 98 cents a block. Now they're over a buck. Very efficient. The squirrels can nibble a bit at them but they don't like them as much as the birds and the wire cages that hold the suet are more suited to feeding critters with beaks.

It's easy to make your own suet blocks. You might save money there but I haven't looked into it. If you find out it's cheaper, let me know please.

Another thing about birds: They are always a meal or two away from dying of starvation. Suet offers a quick, easy boost of protein and fat. A nibble or two of suet can save a bird's life.

Summer time for birds and squirrels is their starvation time. The mast that keeps them alive, (seeds and nuts) doesn't fall until Autumn. Last year's mast is gone. Especially for birds. If you are going to put out food for the critters, please do it especially in the Summer.

iu

We've had Squirrels knock down suet, heck even the occasional Woodpecker can, but something in the night in our old house used to drag it, something obviously bigger, (Perhaps a deer, raccoon etc.)

I gave up on the suet because of pilleated woodpecker destruction.

iu

are you in new england? I have pilleated woodpeckers living on my property too! THEY ARE HUGE HUGE HUGE.... I had no idea woodpeckers could be so large!

iu

are you in new england? I have pilleated woodpeckers living on my property too! THEY ARE HUGE HUGE HUGE.... I had no idea woodpeckers could be so large!

I'm in NY. They leave piles of woodchips behind. Beautiful birds.

I hang my feeders from shepherd hooks ( I get the fancy ones with four hooks at different heights on one pole) then I grease the pole with petroleum jelly. They can't grip it. And, man, you talk about funny to watch. lololol.

The problem I have is with the black birds. They come into the neighborhood and rob me blind every time.

Sunflower seeds bring cool birds.

And you can plant the sunflower seeds from the feed and grow really huge sunflowers with like 10 flowers on 1 plant. Then the little yellow and olive north american gold finches hang out on em and eat the seeds out of the flower. When they're done, they leave a little pile of shells on top. lol. also, honeybees dig the sunflowers a lot.

Maybe buy a realistic looking fake hawk and put in your trees, too. That'll make the squirrels think twice about coming in.

Last edited:
no electrical shock...hubby has already suggested that......i want a solution not genocide...hubby is ready for genocide

Forum List

Back