Squid Games

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
Been hearing a lot about it, so finally binged it tonight. Um. not sure what to think of it. For those who have NOT watched it, all I can say is, it's Hunger Games and Running Man all mixed together sorta plot. Sorta. However, I am NOT very pleased at the dig at americans. When you get further in to it, you will know what I am referring to. While I know such things COULD be happening, I wonder why this could not be ALL korean without finger waggling at any particular group of people for a particular country. I know. Doesn't make sense, but you'll know when and if you watch it.

It was well made, sorta, but I'm a bit peeved at the same time. Then again, movies made here make out another country as part of the bad guys, so...................

Started it tonight, stopped watching after 20 minutes.

I'll wait to hear reviews from PEOPLE I trust.

Been hearing a lot about it, so finally binged it tonight. Um. not sure what to think of it. For those who have NOT watched it, all I can say is, it's Hunger Games and Running Man all mixed together sorta plot. Sorta. However, I am NOT very pleased at the dig at americans. When you get further in to it, you will know what I am referring to. While I know such things COULD be happening, I wonder why this could not be ALL korean without finger waggling at any particular group of people for a particular country. I know. Doesn't make sense, but you'll know when and if you watch it.

It was well made, sorta, but I'm a bit peeved at the same time. Then again, movies made here make out another country as part of the bad guys, so...................
Where was the dig at Americans?

Didn't put me to sleep right away. That's about all I remember so far.. so good..

I had to laugh at some parts. So polite with their "excuse me's" in certain situations along with yelling about certain people dying or are dying or sick or whatever...considering where they are and what they have experienced. It's kinda like a jewish person in a movie saying to a nazi officer "EXCUSE ME BUT THIS fellow prisoner IS SICK!". They yell alot, those koreans. :auiqs.jpg:

Wasn't bad.
To me the measure of a good foreign movie/series is you forget you are reading subtitles.
And it does that.
We have only watched the first episode, the kill scene at the red light/green light was a bit gratuitous.
The robot shot people for barely turning their heads, yet didn't shoot main characters for talking and looking at each other.
Not sure if we will watch more or not. Probably not

I had to laugh at some parts. So polite with their "excuse me's" in certain situations along with yelling about certain people dying or are dying or sick or whatever...considering where they are and what they have experienced. It's kinda like a jewish person in a movie saying to a nazi officer "EXCUSE ME BUT THIS fellow prisoner IS SICK!". They yell alot, those koreans. :auiqs.jpg:
Just checked with the wife. She says we stopped watching it after a few episodes because I said it was childish. LOL.

I've tried watching it twice. My daughter raves about the movie, but I just don't get it.

Wasn't bad.
To me the measure of a good foreign movie/series is you forget you are reading subtitles.
And it does that.
We have only watched the first episode, the kill scene at the red light/green light was a bit gratuitous.
The robot shot people for barely turning their heads, yet didn't shoot main characters for talking and looking at each other.
Not sure if we will watch more or not. Probably not
That was staff shooting them, not the robot. But, I digress. I guess I sorta liked it cuz the ending is what floored me. Didn't guess that one. When that happens...its a good movie, plot wise.

I've been telling my kids for years that South Korea makes better movies than Hollywood. They finally started to see my point when they heard about and watched Squid Game.

The funny thing is, Squid Game is not the best South Korean drama I've seen. It is mediocre compared to others I have seen.

If you like Squid Game, check out some other South Korean fare.

The series Stranger is one of the best. It's super complicated but well worth watching.

If you like horror, The Host is good. If you like zombie movies, The Last Train to Busan will break your heart.

There is a vengeance trilogy that is especially good. Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Oldboy, and Lady Vengeance. They are each standalone movies.

Spike Lee did a remake of Oldboy and fucked it all up.

Forum List

Back