Spanking can worsen a child's behavior and do real harm, study finds

After my kids were grown, much to their amazement, I came to the realization that a spanking almost always represents parental failure. It is when parents failed to stop a behavior or action before a spanking seemed to be the only option. Even then, there are better options to spanking but parents are human and sometimes take the easy way

Luckily, by the time I was thirteen, my parents had figured out that short of chaining me to a wall and depriving me of food and water
until I was half dead (which is something they wouldn't do), there was nothing they could do to effectively punish me.

At that point, they started asking me what my punishment was going to be, which was a bit more difficult for me to maneuver around.
That's because it allowed me my independence, and I couldn't just put up a stalwart defense to their domination.

My parents were smart and figured that one out.

It sure never worsened mine! :auiqs.jpg:

That said, I never found it necessary. I had a parental stare that was much worse.

I can of believe that boys who are brought by the switch are more likely, not all of the to be sure, but a significant parentage, grow up to be wife beaters.
You "can of believe"? That's about the level of stupidity contained in the rest of your post.
Oops. typo..'kinda of believe'...Still believe smacking a kid around every time they piss you off about something gives them the impression that's how you handle things.

That said, I never found it necessary. I had a parental stare that was much worse.

I can of believe that boys who are brought by the switch are more likely, not all of the to be sure, but a significant parentage, grow up to be wife beaters.
You "can of believe"? That's about the level of stupidity contained in the rest of your post.
Oops. typo..'kinda of believe'...Still believe smacking a kid around every time they piss you off about something gives them the impression that's how you handle things.

You would be wrong, but there are times when spanking is completely appropriate and parent's who do not do it, are complete failures as parents and will watch their child being placed in a police car or answer to "defendant" in a court of law.

Last edited:

Yu would be wrong, but there are times when spanking is completely appropriate and parent's who do not do it, are complete failures as parents and will watch their child being placed in a police car of answer to "defendant" in a court of law.
Many Americans approve of spanking. Does it work?

Yu would be wrong, but there are times when spanking is completely appropriate and parent's who do not do it, are complete failures as parents and will watch their child being placed in a police car of answer to "defendant" in a court of law.
Who is "Yu"?

When I was a little kid, my mother used to whip us with hot wheel tracks, so my brothers and I would always hide all the hot wheel tracks in a secret place in the crawl space when we were not playing with them.

My father only used corporal punishment on me once when I was about 10 or 11 years old. I had a massive chemistry set in the garage and was trying to make nitroglycerine one day and when my dad asked me what I was doing, I excitedly told I him. He very sternly said "Don't you ever, ever, EVER, try to make nitroglycerine in MY garage or I will whoop your skinny little ass!"

I could tell that he meant it.

So I relocated the nitroglycerine project to my neighbor's garage. In preparation, the day before I gave some money to my best friend next door to go down the street to a convenience store and get three bags of ice and put them in the freezer in his garage.

But unbeknownst to me, he bought the little one pound bags of ice, rather than the big seven pound bags of ice.

Then the next day as I was mixing the concoction I realized how fucked we were when I went for a bag of ice, and noticed that we only had three pounds of ice, when I had assumed that we had plenty of ice. Way more than we needed according to my calculations.

It's the definition of an "oh shit!" moment.

That wasn't nearly enough ice to keep the chemical reaction under control. It started smoking and caught on fire and we had to call the fire department. The firemen and police then evacuated about a three block radius and let the fire burn out from a safe distance. My neighbor's garage and everything in it was a total loss.

Afterwords my dad was yelling at me, screaming that he told me that I wasn't allowed to make nitroglycerin and I had disobeyed him, and in my defense I pointed out the fact that he said I couldn't make nitroglycerine in his garage, and nothing about producing nitroglycerine in our neighbor's garage.

Then he took his belt off and whooped the living shit out of me.
You're old man kept you from Allahs work ?
He should have simply rented you a garage from a Jew.
I note a certain amount of dark humor in your comment.

Who is "Yu"?
You never heard of the great Chinese philosopher who advocated corporal punishment?

Thank you for pointing out my typo.

Are you suggesting that boys who don't get their ass whipped will never beat their old ladies?

Who is "Yu"?
You never heard of the great Chinese philosopher who advocated corporal punishment?

You are very welcome. Please notice I didn't need to insult you to do so. I make a lot of typos and spelling errors myself since I don't spend hours proofing my messages before I post.

Who is "Yu"?

You are very welcome. Please notice I didn't need to insult you to do so. I make a lot of typos and spelling errors myself since I don't spend hours proofing my messages before I post.
It should not take you hours.

1624932978036-png.506731
Obviously your daddy spared the rod and let you have the dress.

Not a one of my kids ever went to jail.And they all knew I'd use a switch so they didn't push it. My son never beat his wife either. I always told them life isn't fair so do your best to make it less unfair. No excuses were allowed.
Pick yourself up, brush yourself off and start all over again,hehe. Or get knocked down and then get up again.
Always knew which switch to get for me too.

How messed up are my fellow conservatives about schools?

This messed up:

"Government schools suck"

but also:

"Let's give government schools permission to apply spankings to our children. That would surely improve things"

Often in the very same post. Sometimes in the same sentence.

I have two beautiful children who people like being around, and I never touched them. Physical punishment is lazy parenting.

One of my children tells a story of when she was about 6. I told her, "I asked you to clean your room and you did not. You know we're going to get ice cream later. If you don't clean your room, you're not going to get ice cream."

"Fine!" she yelled to me, "I don't want any ice cream!"

We went to get ice cream that evening and she did not get any, and watched us eat it. My husband thought I was Cruella de Ville I think, but we stayed the course. Many many years later, our daughter said she never forgot that and learned first, to take my directions seriously and second, not to talk back to her mother.

I never even raised my voice. Much more effective than a spanking and more appropriate to the directions I gave. And just as she said, the experience never had to be repeated.

And yes, by the way--it just about killed me and I almost caved every single minute. But I knew NOT caving was the right thing. Parenting is hard!

Forum List

Back